Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2005 8:30:16 PM EDT
looking on getting my first car. and found a crow vic for just under 6 grand. its a 1999. what do you guys think, they good cars? or is it a POS.

thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a police edition?

If so I say yes. They are built like tanks, easy to fix, cheap to fix and parts are everywhere for them.

Only down fall is they suck gas like tanks.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is it a police edition?

If so I say yes. They are built like tanks, easy to fix, cheap to fix and parts are everywhere for them.

yea its the Interceptor. what do you think they get for MPG?
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it a police edition?

Neither is true.

95 Merc Grandmarquis (Expensive Crown Vic) had way too many problems to even consider.

Vacuum lines, faulty wiring, etc. was all crap on this thing.  I spent on average of 10 hours a month fixing the damn thing.

It was not cheap either.  Plug wires happen to be the most expensive out of what oreilleys carried, vaccuum lines were a bitch to replace, gaskets were a PITA to fix...

The upside was the interior.  Not a car around that was as comfortable or spacious as it was.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it a police edition?

Neither is true.

95 Merc Grandmarquis (Expensive Crown Vic) had way too many problems to even consider.

Vacuum lines, faulty wiring, etc. was all crap on this thing.  I spent on average of 10 hours a month fixing the damn thing.

It was not cheap either.  Plug wires happen to be the most expensive out of what oreilleys carried, vaccuum lines were a bitch to replace, gaskets were a PITA to fix...

The upside was the interior.  Not a car around that was as comfortable or spacious as it was.

you think a 99 Interceptor would be any better?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Our fleet of  1999 Crown Vics was the least troubled  police fleet we had at work.

Hopefuly it was on a good, regular maintenance program.

BUT!  You have to remember it WAS a police car, driven by whoever each shift.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
IF less that 70K miles than yes good price if over 100k Miles you will have some problems.

My boss has 18 Crown Vics in the fleet, 3 have over 250K miles and run fine, 1 has less that 98k and has a blown engine, the rest is in between and run decently.

all of them are P-71 interceptors.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's a Police Interceptor, see if you can find out if it was supervisor's car.  They get taken care of better.  

Colt_SBR  

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:30:32 AM EDT
[#9]
WEAK ass engine.

very slow traction control system that immobilizes the car in any type of slippery situation

WEAK ass transmission

Floaty steering
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I tend to believe the Vic is a little lot underpowered.  I drove one a few months ago and it couldn't get out of its own way.  It is nice and stable on the highway, but braking and steering response could be a lot better.  The engine doesn't really hit max torque or horsepower until way into the powerband.  It works well at high RPM and that's when it shines.  Would I buy one, probably not unless the price was really good.  It was nice and comfy though.  MJD
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#11]
so they got pretty shitty engines? if i do get one do i have to worry about it breakin down on me?

thanks

ETA: the link

http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=No&bnAd_ID=90549020&TheDealer=411
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
so they got pretty shitty engines? if i do get one do i have to worry about it breakin down on me?

thanks

I ran 100k on mine, engine did okay from a functional standpoint.

Just fairly weak.   Transmission was the weak spot.   New TC at 40k, rebuilt at 100k

still, better than the company Taurus's I had.

My biggest problem with the Crown Dic was that damnable traction control.   The CPU was SO slow, it rendered it worthless
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I say no if your under the age of 50, a crown vic will definitely not impress girls.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I say no if your under the age of 50, a crown vic will definitely not impress girls.

haha not really worried about that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Get an LT1 Caprice!

haha what the hell is that?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#17]
The big points I give to the Crown Vic is the fact it is rear wheel drive.

I like rear wheel drive vehicles.  But the tranny is a bastard as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#18]
01 vic here.  Great mileage for an 8 cyclinder.  I don't know where the notion that 20+ mpg from an 8 cyl is bad.  (The usual Morons who know dick talking out of their asses)

Smooth ride, rear wheel drive, Great styling, Caverness trunk.

I doubt I'd get a former L.E. vehicle, however.  Especially a patrol unit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I doubt I'd get a former L.E. vehicle, however.  Especially a patrol unit.

+1

I'd avoid these like the plague.  The odometer reading is almost meaningless, with all the idling they do.  They're maintained with the idea they'll last to a certain pre-determined point, at which point they're auctioned off just to get rid of them.  There's little interest--or incentive--to maintain the unit's value, just the functionality until it's replaced.

Out of the last five cars we got rid of, I'd have bought one of them if I could get it cheap.  The other four you couldn't give to me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If it's a Police Interceptor, see if you can find out if it was supervisor's car.  They get taken care of better.  

Colt_SBR  

i called the guy he said its not.

but hes said its a really nice car. i guess its in real good condition. im ganna try n go take a look at it
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get an LT1 Caprice!

see above picture.  It is the LT1's grandfather
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get an LT1 Caprice!

ohh alright.

markm, 20+ seems good for an 8 cyl
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#23]
what does the P71 mean?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Where do you see that?  That usually means it is a patrol car.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
what does the P71 mean?

Police model, you will see that number in the VIN

Other then sorry ass transmissions I was haooy with all the ones I owned
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what does the P71 mean?

do the trannys go alot?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Where do you see that?  That usually means it is a patrol car.

saw it on a differnt web site then the one i posted
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Wasn't the Crown Vic the "cop" car that they were having problems with the fuel tanks exploding when they got hit in the rear?  I know I saw footage on the TV and I know it wasn't a Caprice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
what does the P71 mean?

do the trannys go alot?

Every one I have had (3) has had some sort of issue either going out or overdrive stop working, other then that the car was tough as hell
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Wasn't the Crown Vic the "cop" car that they were having problems with the fuel tanks exploding when they got hit in the rear?  I know I saw footage on the TV and I know it wasn't a Caprice.

Crown Vic has a problem if rear ended with enough impact, the differential will crush into the gas tank causing a potentially hazardous situation.  Ford's response?  Cop cars get retrofits, consumers are SOL.

do the trannys go alot?

Every one I have had (3) has had some sort of issue either going out or overdrive stop working, other then that the car was tough as hell

Tranny problems started at 42,000 miles on the Grand Marquis, but I was fortunate that they weren't bad enough to force a rebuild.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Aren't Crown Vics becoming the new trend in gangsta rides? They think that if they cruise in a CV the cops will think it's another cop and won't mess with them?
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Aren't Crown Vics becoming the new trend in gangsta rides? They think that if they cruise in a CV the cops will think it's another cop and won't mess with them?

Samms to be whatever the big cheap car is here, was old caddillacs and Cutlasses, but that got all bought up, then Caprices but those got all bought up, now Crown Vics since its the last big car out there thats cheap.

If you see a Purple Crown Vic on 22" rims and you think its another cop then you got a problem
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it a police edition?

Neither is true.

That's funny.... Every police department in this state runs Crown vics and every taxi in this town is a crown vic. I could go to ANY junk yard in this state and get used parts for it VERY cheap because of the overstock of parts. As for not being easy to fix. Why do you think police departments and taxi companies use crown vics and not hondas? They can not afford to leave cars out of service with costly repairs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it a police edition?

Neither is true.

That's funny.... Every police department in this state runs Crown vics and every taxi in this town is a crown vic. I could go to ANY junk yard in this state and get used parts for it VERY cheap because of the overstock of parts. As for not being easy to fix. Why do you think police departments and taxi companies use crown vics and not hondas? They can not afford to leave cars out of service with costly repairs.

Alright, I'll give you the junk yard parts.  I still don't think they're cheap but each their own.

As for being easy to fix.  Nothing on this Ford was easy to fix.

EGR valve?  Located NEXT to the firewall on the rear of the engine.  About 4 - 8 hours replacement time.

Water pump?  Oh that was a joy to fix.

Gaskets?  Installing new valve cover gaskets was a real pain in the ass - no room near the rear of the engine to get my hands in there to fix the damned things.

Ball joints?  Non greasable types.  Piece of shit factory ball joints wear out around 50,000 miles if not sooner.  Replace the ball joints, you might as well replace the a frames.

Brakes?  Don't last over 35,000 miles - replaced constantly.

Electrical?  Gremlines throughout the system - never did find what was shorting the wiring.

Vaccuum lines?  Installed by monkeys.  Had to be replaced at 43,000 miles.

Timing Chain Cover?  Oh now that was fun to replace.  Took my whole damned weekend to fix.

Can you tell I hated that car?  It was great for the first 10,000 miles, and then the constant repairs were a real PITA.

Buy a KIA
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#36]
thanks for all the help guys. im ganan go take a look at it this thursday. im supposed to get my license on the 3rd of august. see how well that goes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I would love to get my hands on a Mercury Maurauder

I've seen a couple round here.  They're nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#39]
I think that they are one of the best cars out there for the money.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I think that they are one of the best cars out there for the money.

crown vic, or the mecury thing they are talkin about ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Tough cars.  Some have significant problems [wheels falling off, in my case]

My father's is on 260,000 miles or so....maybe more by now.

I guess the real question is:  what do you want out of a car?  Are you a commuter?  Do you just flit within a city?  Are you looking for a pickup truck disguised as a sedan [CV shines here - 900 pounds of tools in the trunk doesn't hardly make a dent]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#42]
find out if it was a take home car or pool car, and find out how long it was in service before it was put up to auction. Our guys at the sheriff's up here have CV pool cars for a year, and by the end of that year some have 80-100,000 miles on them and i wouldnt want to own if i had the choice. The lack of care given to these machines is evident; driving all over in deep salt/snow roads, idling for hours in the hot summer sun, having the seats puked/pissed/pooped on, different deputies every day eating and drinking in them. at one of our zones, we has 20 cars and 8 were out on maintenence at one point.

On the other hand, one of the local semi-rural PD's issues their officers issues take-home cars, and it is a different story. Because the cars are only being driven constantly while the officer is on-shift, there are less miles. They tend to be in service longer, but are usually much better taken care of..washed, cleaned, and taken in at the first sign of trouble.

As for general purpose vehicles, they're big, rather slow, and technologically outdated. They dont sell well outside of fleet sales, and if they werent #1 for police cruisers due to their large size (try fitting a large, rowdy guy in the back of an impala with a cage package installed), trunk space, and rear-wheel drive, ford would have discontinued the model. Also, alot of people buy these as cop wannabe's, sticking amber light bars or cheesy decals on the side trying to impress people.

Buy one if it has been exceptionally well maintained, if you need a large vehicle on the cheap, and if you are willing to accept that it is a WELL-USED vehicle. If not, then dont expect a bargain.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Why do you think police departments and taxi companies use crown vics and not hondas? They can not afford to leave cars out of service with costly repairs.

Because Chevy stopped making the LT1 caprice . Leaving the Crown Vic
as the only full size RWD domestic car offered in a Livery/Police package .

Town Cars and Caddy Fleetwoods with the limo chassis could have been used
but they don't sell them at fleet pricing .

As to a 99 Crown Vic Ex cop car for just under 6 large .
That's above top dollar for the vehicle in question .

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#44]
my parents talked to my uncle. and my uncle is a cop. he said that the BG's are using the vics so that they think cops wont bother em. so he said it will take twice as long if i get pulled over. so now my parents wont let me get one. but started lookin for a blazer. any thoughts ?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Why not a small pickup?  Or do you need the room for all your friends?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Why not a small pickup?  Or do you need the room for all your friends?

my dad dosnet want me getting a truck. i dunno why. i was looking at a tacoma befor.

and it would be a 2dr blazer
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Remember they were talking about 70mph rear end collisions, and cop cars that spent a lot of time parked at the side of highways with drunks driving by.  70mph rear end collisions are very bad in anything this side of an M1A1 abrahms....

What would happen is that the tank would be crushed, spraying gas everywhere, and in some cases, the gas spray would ignite.  

I never saw anything to point to a real design flaw. They did put in some fixes to make the tank less likely to get punctured though.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get an LT1 Caprice!

ohh alright.

markm, 20+ seems good for an 8 cyl

It's a Caprice with the LT1 "vette" engine in it.
I think 93-94 was the first year for them.

Indeed.  The >92 or so had the L05 350L truck engine that was cammed out, I think.  Mine has the L05 and runs liek a beast with aftermarket true duals and ram air, although the TBI is giving me fits.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#49]
i put some many down on a blazer today.

its a 2000, 2 door with 83,000 miles. its a really nice car. maybe put some stuff on it
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
i put some many down on a blazer today.

its a 2000, 2 door with 83,000 miles. its a really nice car. maybe put some stuff on it

My parents just got rid of a 2000 Blazer.  It was an LT, four door.

Nice truck, but it had a problem with the fuel gauge. It was broken and would not report the "acutal" level of fuel in the gas tank.

That's the only thing I'd worry about.  It's an expensive fix too I've heard on the sending unit.

The other problem was an intermittent power window problem.

The Blazer is real nice, it's kinda cramped compared to what we have now(a trailblazer.)  But you won't be disappointed with the 4.3 in it.  Hauls ass.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top