Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2017 5:36:59 PM EDT
We are looking for our next family vehicle, soon to outgrow our current one. I was leaning toward a minivan (Sienna/Odyssey/etc) and the wife wants a Suburban (or similar).

Needs to have room for 2 adults, 3 kids in car seats plus extras (we cart around cousins/friends/etc) regularly.

Most of the time it will cart around town but will also be used for family trips, at least once or twice a year.

After looking around I'm starting to lean toward the Suburban/Yukon XL/Expedition EL or maybe a Sequoia (not sure if it has enough room).

Budget is $10k-15k, which obviously limits to used, probably 2007-2009 range and with 100k miles or more.

From a reliability perspective, as well as user friendliness, what would those with experience with any of those vehicles recommend?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sienna.  We owed a 1998 until earlier this year when we replaced it with a 2017.  Minivans aren't cool, but they are practical.  ETA - Our youngest is 15 now, but my wife and I like to use the Sienna for road tripping and car camping.  A full size inflatable mattress will fit in the back.

I used the Carfax web site to shop for the car my son drives (2006 Camry).  I like their filters.  EXAMPLE
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you plan to tow more than 3000 lbs regularly.

Yes = GM BOF SUV

No= just buy the damn van already

Are you automotively clueless? = buy a crossover SUV and pretend it's not a minivan with crappy 3rd row seats and without the convenience of power sliding doors.

My next commuter might be another minivan and my kids are nearly grown. That's how awesome they are.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Odyssey.  Owned two used ones, they are great.  But they might be out of your price range because they are in high demand.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
a minivan is doing things the easy way. anything else and you will be doing things the hard way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I just went through this and yes I wanted a Suburban too but for the price, features and gas mileage I bought a 2014 VW Routan which is a Grand Caravan with a different name with 40k miles on it for $16k out the door. I traded in my 07 Avalanche that had 200k miles and looked it. A friend bought a Yukon with 100k miles for $25k that just doesn't make any sense to me. The bubble needs to burst on the cost of vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Op for your price range look for a 2003-2006 Suburban or Yukon XL with under 100k and NO RUST.  They are out there but you may have a drive a bit to get it.  Some won't agree but in reality the 03-06 has shown over time to be a superior quality Suburban than the 07-09 which WILL cost you every bit of upper teens and have 150+ miles on it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
The rear cargo room and general durability of a truck based vehicle over a car based vehicle are what I'm using to justify the SUV. Mostly it "happy wife, happy life" - she is just so dead set against a minivan.

We saw a Yukon XL tonight - 2007 Denali 180K miles for $9k. Looked and drove nice. Would I be an idiot for going that high of miles on that vehicle? It would leave up more cash for contingence if there is a mechanical issue.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Above posts about minivans are right on target.

BTW, my wife didn't want a minivan until we got a used one. It made life so much easier that when it was older, we sold it to friends and bought a newer used one. Ours were Odysseys, but we would have also been fine with Sienna.

Kids are older now and the wife got a sedan last year. The time of minivans is over for us, but they were great, especially for road trips. Get a video player and you'll have a lot more time in between potty stops for kids and a lot less "are we there".

She thought about an SUV this time, but decided she wanted a trunk.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
As a former Suburban owner, I've got to say go with the minivan.

The 'Burb is larger, more powerful, better looking, cooler, and can tow whatever you might need to hook to it (within reason, of course), but the third row access sucks ass if you're planning on using the second row for car seats. You could always put the car seats in the third row so guests could ride in the second row, but then it will suck ass to put the kids in their seats.

Go with the minivan.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rear cargo room and general durability of a truck based vehicle over a car based vehicle are what I'm using to justify the SUV. Mostly it "happy wife, happy life" - she is just so dead set against a minivan.

We saw a Yukon XL tonight - 2007 Denali 180K miles for $9k. Looked and drove nice. Would I be an idiot for going that high of miles on that vehicle? It would leave up more cash for contingence if there is a mechanical issue.
View Quote
Yes you would be. If this rig isn't leaking oil like the proverbial A hole it will be soon. The trans if it hasn't been replaced is essentially on borrowed time.

You need to factor in that 12-16 or so MORE mpg a minivan will get in your cost of ownership calculation. You need to think long and hard about how okay you are with basically $100 fillups?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
OP, where do you live?  like if I was to search your area's craigslist which city would I select?

Also don't let these guys talk you into a minivan, a Suburban is 100s of times cheaper to maintain and 100s of times easier to work on.  even if you don't know shit about cars.  A suburban is simple enough that you can learn pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#12]
SUBURBAN!

We have four kids in car seats, a double stroller, and a large dog. No problem. It drives great and my wife would kill me if I tried to trade it on anything other than another Suburban.

Some close friends have the body style you are looking at and have run it all over the country. He and I take it on hunting trips up to central GA every year. I've rented and driven that body style from western MI to FL.

Room, utility, comfort, you can't beat them. You see them all day long with 200k-300k miles running strong.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SUBURBAN!

We have four kids in car seats, a double stroller, and a large dog. No problem. It drives great and my wife would kill me if I tried to trade it on anything other than another Suburban.

Some close friends have the body style you are looking at and have run it all over the country. He and I take it on hunting trips up to central GA every year. I've rented and driven that body style from western MI to FL.

Room, utility, comfort, you can't beat them. You see them all day long with 200k-300k miles running strong.
View Quote
Yeah, that's the scenario we're in. Three little ones of our own and regularly have another one/two/three others with us. Plus child "accessories" like strollers, etc. Dog too. We've used my MIL's minivan for trips before but the space, especially rear storage, runs out quick with more than 2 kids.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The traverse is a practical vehicle, and would suit your needs I think. Used ones are in your price range. They have a third row and still have some storage. The access to the 3rd row is not too bad with the 2nd row bench, but they have some with the captains chairs for the 2nd row. Those are awesome. We have on and it's been pretty good. Another good thing about them is the amount of room they have when you fold down all of the rear seats.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the scenario we're in. Three little ones of our own and regularly have another one/two/three others with us. Plus child "accessories" like strollers, etc. Dog too. We've used my MIL's minivan for trips before but the space, especially rear storage, runs out quick with more than 2 kids.
View Quote
If you regularly haul more than 5 AND a crap load of stuff I'm going to change to suburban OR

I'm going to toss a none of the above out

If you don't mind driving older as new and low mileage 2000 or so full sized conversion van which that much money will buy you one that's pretty pimp
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just went through this and yes I wanted a Suburban too but for the price, features and gas mileage I bought a 2014 VW Routan which is a Grand Caravan with a different name with 40k miles on it for $16k out the door. I traded in my 07 Avalanche that had 200k miles and looked it. A friend bought a Yukon with 100k miles for $25k that just doesn't make any sense to me. The bubble needs to burst on the cost of vehicles.
View Quote
my theory is with the pussification of the male that in a few years the new "man" won't see the value in a truck. Couple that with the next $4+/gal gas and nice used trucks will be available at more realistic prices.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
my theory is with the pussification of the male that in a few years the new "man" won't see the value in a truck. Couple that with the next $4+/gal gas and nice used trucks will be available at more realistic prices.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had three generations of Suburbans..

Thought about getting one again when our family grew to four.  The wife refused to get a minivan.

We looked at every large urban assault vehicle, and then got her a Ford Flex.

It is roomy, has three rows, stores lots of stuff, not a pain for kids to get in/out, and is in your price range.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
With all the AR15 owning mini-van drivers on here it's gotta be anyday now.

U mad?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've had three generations of Suburbans..

Thought about getting one again when our family grew to four.  The wife refused to get a minivan.

We looked at every large urban assault vehicle, and then got her a Ford Flex.

It is roomy, has three rows, stores lots of stuff, not a pain for kids to get in/out, and is in your price range.
View Quote
I looked at those but they don't have enough rear cargo space with all the seats up. Same problem as most minivans.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]
How does the Ford Expedition EL compare to the Suburban/Yukon XL in the reliability department? (5-10 years old with 100k+ miles)
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How does the Ford Expedition EL compare to the Suburban/Yukon XL in the reliability department? (5-10 years old with 100k+ miles)
View Quote
3v 5.4

Nope concentrate in a jar.

I'd recommend a gasoline 2v v8 or v10 Excursion instead as a viable Burb alternative on terms of reliability alone
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Found your next vehicle OP, it's in Orlando.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-chevy-suburban-low-miles/6270047873.html  - 77k miles for $7999.  this one looks pretty clean.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#24]
A number of years in 2013 or 2014 I picked up an '03 Suburban.  It had a seam coming apart in the driver's seat leather, the A.C. belt needed replaced, a new front hub assembly and the rear diff (G60 limited slip iirc) was going out as the spider gears were screwed.

Other than those things, it was in great shape inside and out.  Straight body, no rust, no dents, dings, of cracked glass.  The motor and trans were solid.

It had almost 200k on it, and while that is no doubt high, I went ahead and got it it for a silly low price of $1800 OTD from a local lawn shop.

I spent approx. ~$400 on parts.  Bought a new hub, and sourced a good used rear diff/carrier assembly (same G60 with friction/clutch plates) out of an '01 Suburban from a local salvage yard.

Also installed some new Z71 coils (as the stock were worn out), brake pads, new tires, and a few other odds and ends.

We've driven it over the divide a dozen times and back since, out to CA and back, taken it camping in the mountains (w/camper in tow a half dozen times) and it still runs like a champ everyday.

It runs great, drives great and I'm into it for $2500 give or take (minus the ~$600 in tires, which we'll need to replace next year).

The wife loves it (it's her daily driver) and we can tow all three of our little ones comfortably as well as a few others, or gear when need be.

I know it may not be the cheapest, (or newest in our case), or on gas(average around 14-15 in town last I checked), or to own, but when we retire it, we will get another Suburban or Tahoe/Yukon.

ymmv

eta- We now have ~230,000 on it and it still runs great.  We have regular services on it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:58:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Your wife wants the SUV so she can look cool around all the other moms she encounters. Minivans are designed as people haulers first and they're very efficient at that. On long trips some (Honda Odessy) will push 30 mpg.  Now if your needs include pulling trailers or going Offroad? That changes the equation in favor of the SUV. But it sounds like your NEEDS are best met by a van. Your wife's EGO is best satisfied by a  suv.

And btw. If I misread your wife's logic in wanting the SUV please accept.my apologizies. I don't mean to be rude nor offensive.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Your wife wants the SUV so she can look cool around all the other moms she encounters. Minivans are designed as people haulers first and they're very efficient at that. On long trips some (Honda Odessy) will push 30 mpg.  Now if your needs include pulling trailers or going Offroad? That changes the equation in favor of the SUV. But it sounds like your NEEDS are best met by a van. Your wife's EGO is best satisfied by a  suv.

And btw. If I misread your wife's logic in wanting the SUV please accept.my apologizies. I don't mean to be rude nor offensive.
View Quote
No offense taken and you aren't wrong
We do have a boat but are selling it and I have a truck to pull it. The cargo space is a factor but the ego/image is large part of her opposition to the minivan.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Found your next vehicle OP, it's in Orlando.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-chevy-suburban-low-miles/6270047873.html  - 77k miles for $7999.  this one looks pretty clean.
View Quote
That actually looks pretty good. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No offense taken and you aren't wrong
We do have a boat but are selling it and I have a truck to pull it. The cargo space is a factor but the ego/image is large part of her opposition to the minivan.
View Quote
Just plop the man card out and get her a minivan

I promise she'll only be mad as long as it takes her to use that power slide door button for the first time
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Odyssey.  Owned two used ones, they are great.  But they might be out of your price range because they are in high demand.
View Quote
I bought an 05 Odyssey a year ago. I really like it. Had some dents and scratches, needed cleaning badly.  Gave $3300 for it. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#30]
So...we looked at a couple minivans today (an Odyssey and a couple Siennas) and they were more spacious inside than I remembered and had more trunk space. Newer and/or much less miles than the large SUVs we've seen in the same price range. I guess now we fight...

Tonight she cried at the thought of a minivan. FML
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So...we looked at a couple minivans today (an Odyssey and a couple Siennas) and they were more spacious inside than I remembered and had more trunk space. Newer and/or much less miles than the large SUVs we've seen in the same price range. I guess now we fight...

View Quote
Dude....... wtf?  You are a guy and your girl doesn't want to be neutered driving a mini-van.  Get a her a truck! and consider yourself lucky that your women doesn't want a mini-van.  I feel sorry for any dude I see driving a mini-van as (the ones I see) the man looks totally beta and has that "my life sucks" look on his face.  Not dogging you or anyone else but in this situation, get her a truck!  then jack it up and put a push bar on it, well because reasons right?

Go get that 03 Sub I posted as it's a hell of a deal and a solid truck.   then use the money you saved for awesome life experiences......... profit
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#32]
wife just got a 2017 pacifica.  we have 2 kids.  

love it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haha.

My brothers wife was the same way.  She needed her truck '04 Tahoe.  

That changed 6 months ago when my brother used the SUV for scouts and she drove my '06 standard cab long box Silverado for a week. She wont city drive a manual and my bothers beater vehicle is my old '98 s10 with a 5 speed so we swapped trucks for the week.

After driving an actual pickup truck for a week she now wants to trade in the Tahoe on a mid sized wagon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Dude....... wtf?  You are a guy and your girl doesn't want to be neutered driving a mini-van.  Get a her a truck! and consider yourself lucky that your women doesn't want a mini-van.  I feel sorry for any dude I see driving a mini-van as (the ones I see) the man looks totally beta and has that "my life sucks" look on his face.  Not dogging you or anyone else but in this situation, get her a truck!  then jack it up and put a push bar on it, well because reasons right?

Go get that 03 Sub I posted as it's a hell of a deal and a solid truck.   then use the money you saved for awesome life experiences......... profit
View Quote
Minivans aren't cool- no argument here- but theres more to life than projecting image.  I would imagine that the guys that care about their image THAT much, are probably compensating for something.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:19:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Minivans aren't cool- no argument here- but theres more to life than projecting image.  I would imagine that the guys that care about their image THAT much, are probably compensating for something.
View Quote
Exactly and what image does a 15 year old GM SUV convey?

Trailer park, buy here pay here and or "Mexican word of the day"
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The important image it projects is "I'm not a minivan".
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The important image it projects is "I'm not a minivan".
View Quote
If image is that important Fuck practicality and use it to your advantage and go buy a late model mustang GT
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Op for your price range look for a 2003-2006 Suburban or Yukon XL with under 100k and NO RUST.  They are out there but you may have a drive a bit to get it.  Some won't a
gree but in reality the 03-06 has shown over time to be a superior quality Suburban than the 07-09 which WILL cost you every bit of upper teens and have 150+ miles on it.
View Quote
I got a kiiler deal on an '09 Suburban so I sold my '04 Yukon XL. I miss the Yukon.
YMMV, but probably not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#39]
threads like this one crack me up since it's basically a bunch of dudes purse swinging. One side will cite that vans are cheaper to buy and own, get better gas milage, are cheaper to insure. The other will cite that SUVs are more capable, can haul more, and aren't emasculating. 

Frankly I would just get the minivan OP.    But I give no fucks about what others think of me based on the vehicle I drive and I like not having to shell out a ton of money in gas costs. 
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
wife just got a 2017 pacifica.  we have 2 kids.  

love it.
View Quote
We are about two weeks from pulling the trigger on a Pacifica.

my only hangup is all this Chrysler hate about drive trains.  Wonder if the FWD Pacifica suffers any real issues.  

Both the Sienna and the Odyssey suffer from dated looks and features like all things Honda and Toyota.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

my only hangup is all this Chrysler hate about drive trains.  Wonder if the FWD Pacifica suffers any real issues.  

Both the Sienna and the Odyssey suffer from dated looks and features like all things Honda and Toyota.
View Quote
All the up to date styling and fancy electronic BS in the Chrysler won't help you when the drivetrain shits the bed.

The Honda and Toyota may not be the flashiest options, but I have 100x more faith in them outlasting any "comparable" (and I use the word loosely) Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Guys guys!  STOP BUYING THOSE TURDS.  Its the only way to make the manufacturers change and build better product.  Do NOT buy ANYTHING that is FWD or "AWD" that isn't based off a FULL FRAME TRUCK chassis.  Pacifica, Traverse, Exploder, etc etc are all CARS that are jacked up.  They are all DISPOSABLE vehicles that are meant to die so you'll buy a new one in 5 years.  They are JUNK.

For a family vehicle it's Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban for full size and anything smaller its 4Runner and NOTHING else.  MPGs gained via a jacked up car don't mean much when some poorly designed FWD componenet takes a shit and costs thousands to repair.  The RWD truck chassis platforms are better designed and demonstrate it everyday.  

If you want FWD you buy a Toyota or a Honda but then you are now into small car territory which sucks for anyone who has more than one kid.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Mercedes Sprinter?  Sure, it's a van, but it's a Merc for the "badge" value.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Guys guys!  STOP BUYING THOSE TURDS.  Its the only way to make the manufacturers change and build better product.  Do NOT buy ANYTHING that is FWD or "AWD" that isn't based off a FULL FRAME TRUCK chassis.  Pacifica, Traverse, Exploder, etc etc are all CARS that are jacked up.  They are all DISPOSABLE vehicles that are meant to die so you'll buy a new one in 5 years.  They are JUNK.

For a family vehicle it's Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban for full size and anything smaller its 4Runner and NOTHING else.  MPGs gained via a jacked up car don't mean much when some poorly designed FWD componenet takes a shit and costs thousands to repair.  The RWD truck chassis platforms are better designed and demonstrate it everyday.  

If you want FWD you buy a Toyota or a Honda but then you are now into small car territory which sucks for anyone who has more than one kid.
View Quote
Does this apply to everything?  Cause cars have been mostly unibody since about ththe 50s.

Yes, it would be glorious if everything was still body on frame.  However when a Tahoe sells for $50k and a Pacifica sells for half that I would expect he Tahoe to be much better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Does this apply to everything?  Cause cars have been mostly unibody since about ththe 50s.

Yes, it would be glorious if everything was still body on frame.  However when a Tahoe sells for $50k and a Pacifica sells for half that I would expect he Tahoe to be much better.
View Quote
Actually yes it does apply to cars in a way (has nothing to do with body on frame for them). If you want a FWD car you buy a toyota or honda, you don't buy Nissan, you don't buy Mitsu, Mazda, chrysler, etc  Also it has nothing to do with price, it's all about the engineering.  The tahoe shares more parts with trucks which HAVE TO LAST as their buyers will not put up with the shit that minivan and XUV people allow.  So the Tahoe gets a more robust drivetrain, etc by default.  It also uses older style tech which has been proven / refined over time unlike the FWD drivetrain with looser tolerances and short cuts taken.

I'll make it simple, if you understand that a Pacifica is a DISPOSABLE vehicle and you plan to dump it after 5 years or before you hit 50,000 miles and buy something else well then you should be fine.  But....... if you are like everyone else and keep your vehicle for over 5 years or put 100k miles on it in 5 years, Buy the Tahoe or 4Runner as they are that much better but as mentioned above its not because they cost more, it's because they are engineered better.  You won't realize it until the Pacifica shits all over your driveway.  I'm giving you this info from someone who's sold all of these and seen what time/use does to them, how they hold up, how expensive they are to repair, if you can repair them yourself, etc  All of that must be considered when you are looking at a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually yes it does apply to cars in a way (has nothing to do with body on frame for them). If you want a FWD car you buy a toyota or honda, you don't buy Nissan, you don't buy Mitsu, Mazda, chrysler, etc  Also it has nothing to do with price, it's all about the engineering.  The tahoe shares more parts with trucks which HAVE TO LAST as their buyers will not put up with the shit that minivan and XUV people allow.  So the Tahoe gets a more robust drivetrain, etc by default.  It also uses older style tech which has been proven / refined over time unlike the FWD drivetrain with looser tolerances and short cuts taken.

I'll make it simple, if you understand that a Pacifica is a DISPOSABLE vehicle and you plan to dump it after 5 years or before you hit 50,000 miles and buy something else well then you should be fine.  But....... if you are like everyone else and keep your vehicle for over 5 years or put 100k miles on it in 5 years, Buy the Tahoe or 4Runner as they are that much better but as mentioned above its not because they cost more, it's because they are engineered better.  You won't realize it until the Pacifica shits all over your driveway.  I'm giving you this info from someone who's sold all of these and seen what time/use does to them, how they hold up, how expensive they are to repair, if you can repair them yourself, etc  All of that must be considered when you are looking at a new vehicle.
View Quote
It's not my first rodeo with a wrench.  My question was specific to the Chrysler Pacifica, not how a Tahoe compares to a 1500 series truck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#47]
lol leave it to mr stuck in 1985 mullet man to be entertaining if anything.

Chrysler fails at a lot of things. Pretty much anything not cummins, wrangler or ......minivan

I would buy a Pacifica with confidence in fact more than I would some late model pile of future electronic fail that's anything GM made in the past 20 years. Not to mention that the interior of a Pacifica puts all GM offerings to shame below an Escalade. Chevy or GMC which by contrast is like riding inside a concert port a potty short of $80k
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Op for your price range look for a 2003-2006 Suburban or Yukon XL with under 100k and NO RUST.  They are out there but you may have a drive a bit to get it.  Some won't agree but in reality the 03-06 has shown over time to be a superior quality Suburban than the 07-09 which WILL cost you every bit of upper teens and have 150+ miles on it.
View Quote
The 03-06 also doesnt have that shittastic afm/dod crap that fails!
While the 08 and up have more power, its just not worth it.

Just remember they have the pos 4L60 transmission.
If you can swing it go 08+ With a six speed, have the afm/dod removed and have it professionally tuned.
If you to the afm/dod delete, have a nice healty cam installed. Give it more power, sound  better and will renew your man card that you revoked in your post when you said you wanted a MINIVAN! And your wife wanted the suburban!

Domestication of the male species is a sad sad thing! Shame on you op, shame!

Lol
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's not my first rodeo with a wrench.  My question was specific to the Chrysler Pacifica, not how a Tahoe compares to a 1500 series truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You missed my point.  The Tahoe being that it shares a shit ton of parts with the trucks that are built to work improves the quality and longevity of the vehicle.  This is why you regularly see a Tahoe with over 200k miles on it and still running.  You still see TONS of tahoes from the early 00's on the road.  You don't see many early 00's caravans still on the road which is the platform for the Pacifica.  Front wheel drive with cheap parts that are engineered to be "good enough" again is ok for short term ownership.  But don't expect to get an extended life out of it without a major drivetrain failure.  

Quoted:
lol leave it to mr stuck in 1985 mullet man to be entertaining if anything.

Chrysler fails at a lot of things. Pretty much anything not cummins, wrangler or ......minivan

I would buy a Pacifica with confidence in fact more than I would some late model pile of future electronic fail that's anything GM made in the past 20 years. Not to mention that the interior of a Pacifica puts all GM offerings to shame below an Escalade. Chevy or GMC which by contrast is like riding inside a concert port a potty short of $80k
I can't even take you serious in your advocation for a FWD Chrysler product.  Especially trying (poorly) to make the case that it's a better buy than a full size GM SUV.  See my point above about how many 10-15 year old tahoes are still on the road vs. 10-15 year old Chrysler FWD mini-vans
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#50]
I love arfcom experts.   Back to tahoes and 1/2 tons we go.

If you can't answer the question then just say you're not sure.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top