Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 4:25:15 PM EDT
Hi Folks:

I have a 2006 Toyota 4Runner, V6 version.

I would like to change the plugs, but I think they might be original, and I don't yet know how stuck they are. I'd hate to strip out the head if there is a technique to decrease the chances.

So:

warm engine vs. cold?
PB Blaster/other penetrant?
Spark plug socket in freezer?
etc?

Any tips?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
PB Blaster - Let it sit for a couple of days and get a chance to penetrate.  
Warm Engine
Impact Gun - Yes, Really.  The sharp blow tends to break things loose and free them up rather than dragging the threads out with the socket.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Warm Engine
Impact Gun - Yes, Really.  The sharp blow tends to break things loose and free them up rather than dragging the threads out with the socket.  
View Quote
Never tried it, but I bet one of those little impact drivers for screws and stuff would be handy.  Not enough power to destroy, but would give it a good rattle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Warm Engine
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Letting the PB Blaster sit might be tricky, as this is my daily driver. I guess I'll see if I can borrow a car for a bit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Blast the crap out first, Kroil oil a few times a couple of days in advance.  Get a good socket and gently turn back and forth to break tension.  Impact is next if by hand doesn't work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't do anything special. Just unscrew them with a ratchet and a spark plug socket. They won't be stuck in there and will come out without issue.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
A 2006? I doubt you'll have any issues.  Is spark plug threads stripping a common problem on Toyotas like the 4.6 late 90's Ford 4.6?  If not just get out there with a real spark plug socket, a ratchet and have at it.  

I've pulled plugs out of many a GM that was 10+ years old on original plugs or had 100K on the original set and each time they came out without issue with just using the plug socket and ratchet.

PB blaster, only use that as a last resort as that shit will get everywhere AND you don't want that on your exhaust, it will smoke like a sum bitch when the manifold warms up.  Also you don't want to be working on a hot engine unless you like 2nd degree burns.

Cold engine, plug socket + ratchet and you're good.  Now the plug wires, well if those are original those will probably come apart if tugged on too hard.  But you should be putting new ones on anyways.  good luck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'll let you know what I decide, and how it turned out...That way somebody can say "You shoulda used PB Blaster like I tol' ya!" or " See? You didn't need that PB Blaster. It's always a waste of time and money!"
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
My 06 4runner's came out fine at 120k
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#10]
My '06 has 257,000miles on it. I bought it with 90K on it. I do q 5K mile oil changes with full synthetic oil, and it's been a problem-free rig (except it eats brakes) until this point.

I am a dumbass for not doing this sooner, I know.

I had an intermittent misfire on cyl.#2. I removed that plug and it looked like it had a 1/4" gap. Possibly original plugs? Anyway, it did not come out easy. As in, I couldn't just break it loose and then spin the extension by hand. I needed the ratchet and some elbow grease. I put the new plug in and all was well for a month or so. I was cautious about changing the other five because of how hard the #2 plug came out.

Now I have a misfire on cyl#4, so I am going to change all the plugs, and possibly all the coils. I am just nervous about stripping out the head.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My '06 has 257,000miles on it. I bought it with 90K on it. I do q 5K mile oil changes with full synthetic oil, and it's been a problem-free rig (except it eats brakes) until this point.

I am a dumbass for not doing this sooner, I know.

I had an intermittent misfire on cyl.#2. I removed that plug and it looked like it had a 1/4" gap. Possibly original plugs? Anyway, it did not come out easy. As in, I couldn't just break it loose and then spin the extension by hand. I needed the ratchet and some elbow grease. I put the new plug in and all was well for a month or so. I was cautious about changing the other five because of how hard the #2 plug came out.

Now I have a misfire on cyl#4, so I am going to change all the plugs, and possibly all the coils. I am just nervous about stripping out the head.
View Quote
You won't. It'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Our aircraft mechanics use Kroil.    It seems to work well for them.

I'd go ahead and spray your plugs with it.   Doubt u will have any issues, but I can appreciate the nail biting.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a Toyota with a 2.7 from my dad. I think he must have He-man'd those bitches as tight as he could. I had to use a long breaker bar. PB blaster wouldn't have helped. The valve cover spark plug seals had failed and each one was full of oil already.

Like another poster already said, they'll either strip or they won't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
warm engine vs. cold?   Stone cold
PB Blaster/other penetrant? Yes
Spark plug socket in freezer? Wut?
etc?

Also just barely break loose- like a 16th of a turn.  Shoot a little more penetrant in and let sit a while.  Turn back in then ease back out.  I do Fords this way and luckily haven't had a problem.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Turn them back and fourth so you help break the carbon loose around the end.

Use antisieze when you put them back in. Don't get any on the spark plug end. It can cause it to short out to the base and cause a miss fire.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You won't. It'll be fine.
View Quote
You were right!

I ended up not doing anything other than putting the socket on in and turning them out. They came out just fine! Put new plugs in and the misfire hasn't happened again...So far.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You were right!

I ended up not doing anything other than putting the socket on in and turning them out. They came out just fine! Put new plugs in and the misfire hasn't happened again...So far.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#19]
DO NOT USE AN IMPACT THAT IS LIKE A LAST RESORT KIND OF THING.

Just take them out with the engine not hot. If you get a stuck plug, spray it with on and let it soak for a minute. If it backs out tight then turn it in and out while coming out. If it's tight but also tight when trying to turn it back in, only back it out don't turn it back on.

I do this work to put food on the table I rarely ever encounter a spark plugs that's stuck unless it's cross threaded.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't do anything special. Just unscrew them with a ratchet and a spark plug socket. They won't be stuck in there and will come out without issue.
View Quote
People way over think spark plugs, I have a land Rover lr3 that is supposedly ridiculously hard to do plugs on, it took me maybe an hour. Just apply steady pressure and if you're using iridium plugs anti sieze isn't needed :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#21]
?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

People way over think spark plugs, I have a land Rover lr3 that is supposedly ridiculously hard to do plugs on, it took me maybe an hour. Just apply steady pressure and if you're using iridium plugs anti sieze isn't needed :)
View Quote
How does the center electrode tip material dictate if anti seize should be used between the threads of the plug and cylinder head. Steel plug in to aluminum cylinder head = anti seize regardless of center electrode tip material.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How does the center electrode tip material dictate if anti seize should be used between the threads of the plug and cylinder head. Steel plug in to aluminum cylinder head = anti seize regardless of center electrode tip material.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I was unclear, ngk spark plugs. Info And on my car they were iridium, I made a false correlation.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I put anti seize on plugs.

Changing those weird Ford plugs do take some unusual methods. Conventional plugs don't take any weird or unusual removal techniques.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I definitely did put antisieze on the new ones!

Here are the old ones. 5th from the left is the one I put in a couple months ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Here are the old ones. 5th from the left is the one I put in a couple months ago.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11452/DSCF5306-284586.JPG
View Quote
Looks like a healthy engine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11452/DSCF5306-284586.JPG
View Quote
Dat plug gap doh
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dat plug gap doh
View Quote
It's iridium.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's iridium.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dat plug gap doh
It's iridium.
Iridium doesn't require a .250 plug gap, lol!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you referring to all the plugs or just the 5th one from the left?

All the plugs look normal given the miles. The OP replaced one and it's the iridium plug 5th from the left. It has a normal gap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All the plugs look normal given the miles. The OP replaced one and it's the iridium plug 5th from the left. It has a normal gap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're saying the gap on all of them are fine?  Other than the one that's been replaced, they are worn out.  It those are iridium, they are worried to the point they look like resistors, and then some.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You're saying the gap on all of them are fine?  Other than the one that's been replaced, they are worn out.  It those are iridium, they are worried to the point they look like resistors, and then some.
View Quote
I don't want to put words in ColtRifle's mouth, but I think he means that plugs 1-4 and 6 look like you would expect plugs to look if they had 100,000+ miles on them. Not "fine" but "typical for the mileage."

At least, that's what I took his comments to mean.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't want to put words in ColtRifle's mouth, but I think he means that plugs 1-4 and 6 look like you would expect plugs to look if they had 100,000+ miles on them. Not "fine" but "typical for the mileage."

View Quote
He has an odd way of correcting a comment made in jest then.  Do you consider "dat plug go doh" to need any form of extra consideration, lol?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#34]
No, the plug gap is pretty big! It was no wonder there were misfires!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
He has an odd way of correcting a comment made in jest then.  Do you consider "dat plug go doh" to need any form of extra consideration, lol?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AGreyMan got it right.

Your post would have made more sense if you used English.

Based on the appearance of the plugs, the engine is clearly healthy. The plugs are tired but the rings, valves, and valve seats are clearly working as designed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
AGreyMan got it right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AGreyMan got it right.

You must be fun at parties.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I wouldnt use antiseize.

NGK specifically says to not use it on their plugs as they already have a coating to aid in removal and antiseize affects torque values.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/spark-plug-101/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#38]
deleted
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:59:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bet he meant zirconium plated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
who the fuck torques a spark plug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldnt use antiseize.

NGK specifically says to not use it on their plugs as they already have a coating to aid in removal and antiseize affects torque values.

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/spark-plug-101/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs
who the fuck torques a spark plug.
I do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top