Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2017 7:22:48 PM EDT
So first Ill get the weight and mileage out of the way.
Yeah easily 300 lbs to the vehicle.

The vehicle: beat to sh it gmc yukon gt that I'm going to kind of throw back together. Has rust im going to have remove and don't feel like having it cheaply repainted where it'll fade in a year.

Has the price on this gone down at all? Hoping to spend no more than $1500 for the process. I want to do it so if rust does appear again, i have that panel section removed, get a new one from the junkyard and just rhino line it to match instead of having two different shades of paint. Yeah maybe a little pricy but hoping that its gone down to something more affordable.

......and the purpose of this post: what is everyone's experience on fade-resistant brands.

Oh and black in color. Deepest black possible.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Yup. For a beater, I would go that route.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think $1500 will touch it. I was quoted $1500 for rockerpanels.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think $1500 will touch it. I was quoted $1500 for rockerpanels.
View Quote
600 to 800 to get the inside of a 2 door wrangler done if I remove everything.  Doubt you can get 1500 for an entire truck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it to a truck.  I wouldn't do it again.  Once you put it on, there's no changing anything about it.  With paint, you can always repaint it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I got an estimate last year of $3,000 plus tax. For my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. I'm still considering it. It takes a almost a week to get it done.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Best stuff out there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet it doesn't weigh as much as you think.  A buddy weighed all the platidip that was peeled off an entire car and I think he said it didn't even weigh a pound.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bet it doesn't weigh as much as you think.  A buddy weighed all the platidip that was peeled off an entire car and I think he said it didn't even weigh a pound.  
View Quote
Different product. Plasti-dip is nowhere near as dense or solid as bedliner, and it's put on in much thinner layers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Different product. Plasti-dip is nowhere near as dense or solid as bedliner, and it's put on in much thinner layers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So even if it's 20x as thick, which it's not, we're still a far cry from the 300# op guessed.  My point remains valid.  I bet it wouldn't even add 5# to the vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So even if it's 20x as thick, which it's not, we're still a far cry from the 300# op guessed.  My point remains valid.  I bet it wouldn't even add 5# to the vehicle.
View Quote
Plastidip is vastly different than LineX.

When I had it done the LineX dealer estimated it would add 3-400 lbs. You can really tell the extra weight when you lift the hood. I didn't weight the hood before and after but I'd estimate it added 15 lbs to the hood....maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go to your local auto parts store and lift a gallon can of the cheap roll-on bedliner and get back to us.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#13]
http://i.imgur.com/kC3y0nB.jpg

I did my whole truck myself with Raptor liner. Added under 20 pounds, no noticeable change in MPG except the truck is a lot quieter now. It's going on a year in Texas full sun all the time with no noticeable fade. This was 2 kits worth, so under $300 in supplies from amazon and HD. My FIL used to paint cars, so he taught me how to tape it off, which is the biggest pain in the ass. Especially since I decided to do more coats a month later when I should have done it all in one weekend. THat's the part that takes forever.

I would NOT do it to a new truck or really nice paint. But it's 10 years old and the clear coat was already peeling. when I go to add new parts or whatever, I can line them to match and move on. it has been dent and rock resistant, and I have not scratched it, even stabbing it with a knife to show off at work. I have also not washed the truck since I did this.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Did you spray the door jambs as well?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you spray the door jambs as well?
View Quote
yeah I did
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Go to your local auto parts store and lift a gallon can of the cheap roll-on bedliner and get back to us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did, it wasn't 300#.  Read the post below yours and get back with us.  Lmao!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have personal experience with LineX on a truck. What's yours?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh yeah?  You weighed a truck before and after then, post your results.  If you really think it adds hundreds of pounds, you're wrong.  You would need a forklift to pick up a gallon of it if that was the case.  Just listen to simple logic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed, it was nowhere near 300# but it was also a damn sight heavier than 5#. Hell, a gallon of water weighs over 8#.

Based on a quick search of Line-X dealer sites, it appears to weigh .7 lbs per square foot @ 1/8" thick. If that's the case, just a 6'x4' section of the bed's floor would weigh in at over 17#. Again, quite  bit heavier than the 5# you claimed above. According to the dealer/installer sites I found, a Line-X bedliner adds 40-60 lbs...and that's just the bed.

I've used the DIY (Rustoleum) stuff and it's nowhere near as thick as the liner in my truck, so I'm sure it weighs quite a bit less...but I'd still expect it to weigh q good bit more than 5# if one used enough to completely cover a car/truck with any expectation of durability and longevity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like I'm going to monstaline my truck now...

THANKS...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Remember that a good bit of the product weight will evaporate due to chemical reactions with hardeners and evaporation of water/solvent.

@steviesterno16

Can you explain how you masked the door openings/interior door faces/wiring passages?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Remember that a good bit of the product weight will evaporate due to chemical reactions with hardeners and evaporation of water/solvent.

@steviesterno16

Can you explain how you masked the door openings/interior door faces/wiring passages?
View Quote
I just put a bunch of tape around it, and some paper and bags. then I'd crack the door a bit and spray in. I used liner on the side, but ended up using black spray paint in the rear since I was getting clearance issue. I wasn't trying to get the whole frame or anything, since I don't rock crawl or anything too crazy.

If I was doing a dedicated trail ride I'd want it stripped down as far as possible, pull the interior, and do the floor and stuff, too. I would do the frame and undersides if I didn't live in salt-free TX.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agreed, it was nowhere near 300# but it was also a damn sight heavier than 5#. Hell, a gallon of water weighs over 8#.

Based on a quick search of Line-X dealer sites, it appears to weigh .7 lbs per square foot @ 1/8" thick. If that's the case, just a 6'x4' section of the bed's floor would weigh in at over 17#. Again, quite  bit heavier than the 5# you claimed above. According to the dealer/installer sites I found, a Line-X bedliner adds 40-60 lbs...and that's just the bed.

I've used the DIY (Rustoleum) stuff and it's nowhere near as thick as the liner in my truck, so I'm sure it weighs quite a bit less...but I'd still expect it to weigh q good bit more than 5# if one used enough to completely cover a car/truck with any expectation of durability and longevity.
View Quote
A well thought out rebuttal, hot damn!  I find 40-60# just for the bed to be hard to believe but they know there product better than I do.  I was going to hit on the solvent evaporation thing but was beat too it.  I bet at least 50% of the product is solvent, I don't know this but I bet it to be (I have years upon years of paint experience).  To get 300# of extra weight you would have to apply 600#+ of product.  Does this seem realistic to anyone or is it lighter than some people think?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks like I'm going to monstaline my truck now...

THANKS...
View Quote

Magnet paints makes GREAT products, I've been using them for years. The owner is a HUGE Trump fan too, wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh yeah?  You weighed a truck before and after then, post your results.  If you really think it adds hundreds of pounds, you're wrong.  You would need a forklift to pick up a gallon of it if that was the case.  Just listen to simple logic.
View Quote
How thick do you think LineX is?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A well thought out rebuttal, hot damn!  I find 40-60# just for the bed to be hard to believe but they know there product better than I do.  I was going to hit on the solvent evaporation thing but was beat too it.  I bet at least 50% of the product is solvent, I don't know this but I bet it to be (I have years upon years of paint experience).  To get 300# of extra weight you would have to apply 600#+ of product.  Does this seem realistic to anyone or is it lighter than some people think?
View Quote
LineX has a high level of solids. Automative paint, for example, has a high level of solvent and a low level of solids. Primer, on the other hand, has a high level of solids and a much lower level of solvent. The reason is, when you want to build up an area like with primer, you want a high amount of solids in the coat.

LineX is a VERY thick coat compared to paint or even primer. I have no idea how much is solvent and how much is solids but LineX wouldn't work if it had a high level of solvents. It HAS to have a high level of solids.

A typical LineX bedliner alone uses about 5 gallons of material.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
I've had a friend do this to 2 different vehicles, it's really impressed me. Much tougher than I expected for roll on. It's probably close or equal to the durability of sprayed in bedliners I've had.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
I've had a friend do this to 2 different vehicles, it's really impressed me. Much tougher than I expected for roll on. It's probably close or equal to the durability of sprayed in bedliners I've had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top