Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/11/2017 1:15:03 PM EDT
I think I've narrowed down what my next vehicle will be, a Mustang GT. I've looked at the competition and the Mustang is the only one that hits the majority of the right buttons.

Please, no camaro this or charger / challenger that. That's not what I'm looking for. EDIT: No Viper or Corvettes either

I want opinions of current and past coyote owners about the vehicle. Don't just say I like it. I want to know why you like it. Same thing with past owners. If you didn't like it and moved on, what didn't you like about it.

The vehicle will be used as a daily driver. Not ripping through town and doing burnouts. It will be used on a rare occasion to due some long distance trips that are 1000+ miles, so I'd like to know about the seats and would they be good in a long distance trip like that?

About the driver: Mid 40ies, clean record ( read I don't do stupid shit ), have not owned a V8 car since 2001-2 time frame, but have driven a 2006 mustang GT.

My planned options, if I do go this route and depending if I go 2017 or 2018.

GT Premium

Some sort of blue color. Yes, I know Kona blue is coming for the 2018

3.55 gears

Auto-  No gripes or complaints. You're not paying for the car.

Still debating on the 401A package for the shaker system. I need to hear both systems before deciding.

Thanks

Also, make this a pic thread as well.

EDIT: 2018 Mustang GT Premiums no longer require you to get the 401A package to get the Shaker Pro system. Nav is now part of the 401A package.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2014 and its the opposite of everything you want

Mine isnt a daily, is manual, longest trip was 200 miles once, not an S550, highly modified, loud, etc. So my opinions may be a bit meaningless.

But I wanted to comment on one of your points....the Shaker.

Mustangs are very easy to put a decent stereo in and will be heads and tails above the Shaker, plus will cost the same or less.  I replaced the door and rear speakers with inifinity's and added a subwoofer/amp.  All in was about $700.

I highly advise on going this route.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mine isnt a daily, is manual, longest trip was 200 miles once, not an S550, highly modified, loud, etc. So my opinions may be a bit meaningless.

But I wanted to comment on one of your points....the Shaker.

Mustangs are very easy to put a decent stereo in and will be heads and tails above the Shaker, plus will cost the same or less.  I replaced the door and rear speakers with inifinity's and added a subwoofer/amp.  All in was about $700.

View Quote
Were you comfortable at the end of the trip? Stock seats?

As for the shaker, I'm still up in the air. I want a decent stereo, but not looking to rip stuff out and replace it either.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the leather premium and they were just ok.  No issues for the short jaunts at all, but distance gets a little tiring on the bum.  I also have a bit harsher of a suspension set up and different tires then you would get on a stock Mustang.

Also note, the seats on the 11-14 are going to be different than the 15-18. So make sure you try them out.  Also, I would probably suggest you take a good look at getting the Recaro seat upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the leather premium and they were just ok.  No issues for the short jaunts at all, but distance gets a little tiring on the bum.  I also have a bit harsher of a suspension set up and different tires then you would get on a stock Mustang.

Also note, the seats on the 11-14 are going to be different than the 15-18. So make sure you try them out.  Also, I would probably suggest you take a good look at getting the Recaro seat upgrade.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Not sure about the Recaro option, but I will say that the seats in my 2004 Grand Prix gt were some of the best seats I've ever sat in. ( They look similar to the recaros )
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I owned a 2012 GT, ended up doing a Kenne Bell 2.8LC, Boss shortblock with billet oil pump gears and boss exhaust cams (the intake cams are the same)  headers etc.  Mine had an MT-82.  I installed all the parts myself.

The coyote engine is FANTASTIC, and it has been improved since the one I had in 2012.  The VVT makes for a lot of low end and mid range power, and it still revs out like a dream.  

Don't get 3.55's, as you make more power (and even if you don't) they will become a detriment.  Both transmissions have incredibly steep first gears and you simply don't need the rear end gear for great acceleration.  Stick to the 3.15's if you can.  The auto is awesome in those cars, and VERY strong.  

It sounds amazing, it's good on gas, and responds well to mods.  The only bitch I had about it was the transmission was noisy even after being replaced with a revised version, but you won't have that issue with the auto.

Make sure you get a premium, the shaker is up to you but don't get a base interior.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I owned a 2012 GT, ended up doing a Kenne Bell 2.8LC, Boss shortblock with billet oil pump gears and boss exhaust cams (the intake cams are the same)  headers etc.  Mine had an MT-82.  I installed all the parts myself.

The coyote engine is FANTASTIC, and it has been improved since the one I had in 2012.  The VVT makes for a lot of low end and mid range power, and it still revs out like a dream.  

Don't get 3.55's, as you make more power (and even if you don't) they will become a detriment.  Both transmissions have incredibly steep first gears and you simply don't need the rear end gear for great acceleration.  Stick to the 3.15's if you can.  The auto is awesome in those cars, and VERY strong.  

It sounds amazing, it's good on gas, and responds well to mods.  The only bitch I had about it was the transmission was noisy even after being replaced with a revised version, but you won't have that issue with the auto.

Make sure you get a premium, the shaker is up to you but don't get a base interior.
View Quote
Thank you for the info and explanations.

I need to read up on the 10 speed auto going in the 2018 mustangs. It's in something like 3 Ford vehicles already, but not sure if it's been problematic.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I need to read up on the 10 speed auto going in the 2018 mustangs. It's in something like 3 Ford vehicles already, but not sure if it's been problematic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove mine 600 miles from Ohio to NC when I moved here, after I had done the blower and stuff (771 whp) and I had a base interior and I was perfectly comfortable.   More so than my C7 Z51 that I have now.

Oh yeah, pics:

Kona Blue is the best.  Ever.   I didn't know they were bringing it back but it's fucking awesome.  Although it is IMPOSSIBLE to accurately photograph.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I drove mine 600 miles from Ohio to NC when I moved here, after I had done the blower and stuff (771 whp) and I had a base interior and I was perfectly comfortable.   More so than my C7 Z51 that I have now.

Oh yeah, pics:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/91nx2k/00E5BAE5-DFB5-4E52-ABCF-1EF2065F7E7A-3472-0000020D7A97ED7C.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/91nx2k/b66f8a85.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/91nx2k/2b62ea91.jpg

Kona Blue is the best.  Ever.   I didn't know they were bringing it back but it's fucking awesome.  Although it is IMPOSSIBLE to accurately photograph.  
View Quote
You now have to pay photobucket 400 bucks per year for 3rd party hosting. When I cancelled my account they asked why I was leaving. My reply " $400 for third party hosting? Fuck that"

Any way, new colors for 2018:

"There will also be a host of new colors available for the Mustang come 2018 including the loved Kona Blue from the 2015 50th Anniversary Models, Orange Fury and Royal Crimson. For Shelby models, it seems Avalanche Gray has been replaced with Lead Foot Gray, along with the offering of Orange Fury as well. Unfortunately, it seems Ford has made Grabber Blue a one-year run, as it does not seem to be on the list for the 2018 models."

EDIT: Nice Mustang. Perfect color as well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait for an 18 if you are going Automatic and can stomach the looks.   Yes it is that damn good of a transmission.

Get a 17 if you cannot stand the front facia of the 2018.

3.55 is a good gear ratio.    I wish my 2015 GT Perf Pack had a 3.55 instead of the 3.73.    I like my gears to have just a bit more legs to them(have a 2005 and 95 as well and the 3.55 in my 05 is more to my liking than 3.73 in my 95 and 15).

The 5.0 in the S550 chassis allows it to haul ass without even trying and the car is sophisticated enough in noise dampening/ride quality that you could be doing 110 and hardly know it.

I killed my 2015's rear tires within about 5500 miles without even trying(shit assed cold weather traction below 65 degrees).    You wont have those issues with a non-perf pack wearing all season tires.

Get the premium if you like leather or not having a tiny assed 3 inch center console screen.

17s will have a hell of a deal/incentive program in another month for on the lot cars.   Try to find one fresh off the trailer that matches your wants/needs.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is not the case anymore...

The 2015 has a bullshit integrated system for audio and it FUCKING SUCKS.

My "premium" trim option gives me what they call a "shaker"¥not the pro) and it doesnt do jack shit but turn music into flat garbled mess.

I have a 95 Cobra with stock Mach 460 system save for head unit(kenwood excellon)
I have a 05 GT with stock "Shaker" save for head unit, again Kenwood Excellon.

Both can be played at max volume and have better clarity, less distortion, more sheer magnitude of volume and bass than my stock shit assed "premium" 2015 Shaker system.

I have had played the same high bit rate audio files from one car to the next car to the next for friends.    They all agree the 2015 sounds the worst.

I figure it is a cheap decoder for handling the decompressing of mp3 files.

And I am flat out stuck with it because the center console/sync/stereo display is all integrated confounded bullshit.

A 22 year old car with a new head unit and old speakers sounds better than a new car.     It aint the speakers on my 2015 that is the problem it is the source.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a 2014 Premium GT with Track Pack.  I don't use mine as a daily but I do tend to drive it a good bit.  Have just over 34k miles and it's just over 3 1/2 years old.  I have taken it on numerous long road trips.  I did the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2015, driving up to WI from LA then back down, about 2500 miles round trip.  I have also driven it to VA to visit my brother and his family 3 times(2300 mileish round trip).  My car has a few mods and is still pretty comfortable on long trips.  I do know that the newer S550s have even better seats that the S197s like mine.  As far as mods, I have Ford K springs with Koni shocks and struts, Steeda rear LCAs and BMR upper control arm and mount. Ford Racing 1 piece aluminum drive shaft.  19x9 and 19x10 Forgestar wheels with 275/35 and 285/35 Nitto Invos.  Boss 302 grille and front splitter, with Roush side splitters.  I have a Steeda CAI and 93 oct tune.  Also have BBK 85mm throttle body and long tube headers with catted x-pipe, removed resonators and running GT500 rear mufflers.  The exhaust has a nice rumble at low rpms and really screams once you get above 3500 rpm.  My gearing with the track pack is 3.73 but when doing 75-80 on hwy still only pulling 2200-2500rpm, interior noise is easily bearable even with windows done.  Overall  I love the car and plan to keep it for a good while my forever.  I am 48 so I'm old enough not to beat the crap out of my stuff but I still do some spirited driving when I feel like it.  If you are looking for a fun car, that has a great engine, rides and looks good, yet is still capable of being used everyday, you can;t go wrong with the new Mustang. 

Pic because you said to.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wait for an 18 if you are going Automatic and can stomach the looks.   Yes it is that damn good of a transmission.

Get a 17 if you cannot stand the front facia of the 2018.

3.55 is a good gear ratio.    I wish my 2015 GT Perf Pack had a 3.55 instead of the 3.73.    I like my gears to have just a bit more legs to them(have a 2005 and 95 as well and the 3.55 in my 05 is more to my liking than 3.73 in my 95 and 15).

The 5.0 in the S550 chassis allows it to haul ass without even trying and the car is sophisticated enough in noise dampening/ride quality that you could be doing 110 and hardly know it.

I killed my 2015's rear tires within about 5500 miles without even trying(shit assed cold weather traction below 65 degrees).    You wont have those issues with a non-perf pack wearing all season tires.

Get the premium if you like leather or not having a tiny assed 3 inch center console screen.

17s will have a hell of a deal/incentive program in another month for on the lot cars.   Try to find one fresh off the trailer that matches your wants/needs.
View Quote
I knew that bold part was coming soon. I've been checking stock in the 50 mile range from me and found a few that have been knocked down 7K.

Thanks for the info about the 10 speed auto. May just  wait until the 18s get here.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I own a 2014 Premium GT with Track Pack.  I don't use mine as a daily but I do tend to drive it a good bit.  Have just over 34k miles and it's just over 3 1/2 years old.  I have taken it on numerous long road trips.  I did the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2015, driving up to WI from LA then back down, about 2500 miles round trip.  I have also driven it to VA to visit my brother and his family 3 times(2300 mileish round trip).  My car has a few mods and is still pretty comfortable on long trips.  I do know that the newer S550s have even better seats that the S197s like mine.  As far as mods, I have Ford K springs with Koni shocks and struts, Steeda rear LCAs and BMR upper control arm and mount. Ford Racing 1 piece aluminum drive shaft.  19x9 and 19x10 Forgestar wheels with 275/35 and 285/35 Nitto Invos.  Boss 302 grille and front splitter, with Roush side splitters.  I have a Steeda CAI and 93 oct tune.  Also have BBK 85mm throttle body and long tube headers with catted x-pipe, removed resonators and running GT500 rear mufflers.  The exhaust has a nice rumble at low rpms and really screams once you get above 3500 rpm.  My gearing with the track pack is 3.73 but when doing 75-80 on hwy still only pulling 2200-2500rpm, interior noise is easily bearable even with windows done.  Overall  I love the car and plan to keep it for a good while my forever.  I am 48 so I'm old enough not to beat the crap out of my stuff but I still do some spirited driving when I feel like it.  If you are looking for a fun car, that has a great engine, rides and looks good, yet is still capable of being used everyday, you can;t go wrong with the new Mustang. 

Pic because you said to.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/101408/1569047111111-251504.JPG
View Quote
A lot of work to your car and it looks great! I won't do that many mods. Maybe just a few light ones, but for the most part just keep it stock.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is not the case anymore...

The 2015 has a bullshit integrated system for audio and it FUCKING SUCKS.

My "premium" trim option gives me what they call a "shaker"¥not the pro) and it doesnt do jack shit but turn music into flat garbled mess.

I have a 95 Cobra with stock Mach 460 system save for head unit(kenwood excellon)
I have a 05 GT with stock "Shaker" save for head unit, again Kenwood Excellon.

Both can be played at max volume and have better clarity, less distortion, more sheer magnitude of volume and bass than my stock shit assed "premium" 2015 Shaker system.

I have had played the same high bit rate audio files from one car to the next car to the next for friends.    They all agree the 2015 sounds the worst.

I figure it is a cheap decoder for handling the decompressing of mp3 files.

And I am flat out stuck with it because the center console/sync/stereo display is all integrated confounded bullshit.

A 22 year old car with a new head unit and old speakers sounds better than a new car.     It aint the speakers on my 2015 that is the problem it is the source.
View Quote
Good to know. Will listen to both before I decide on what system I want to get.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh and last thing.

I abso-fucking-lutely hate the push button start.    Stupid assed gimmick and I dont need some key sensing bullshit for unlock8ng doors or starting a car.

Give me a fucking key for the love of god.

My 2015 is likely my first and lsst new car.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh and last thing.

I abso-fucking-lutely hate the push button start.    Stupid assed gimmick and I dont need some key sensing bullshit for unlock8ng doors or starting a car.

Give me a fucking key for the love of god.

My 2015 is likely my first and lsst new car.
View Quote
I really don't mind it, at least I didn't mind the one in my 2014 cherokee. It saved from losing or misplacing keys. Clip it to my belt loop and done with it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
My coyote only has around 9K miles on it.  Seems like a nice motor. Of course it has a supercharger on it and it's in my F-150 so I'm probably not much help here.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the aftermarket makes a completel replacement center piece. nicer head units even have FCIM & FDIM control now HVAC etc. can read obd2 codes and monitor some basic pids. they have come a long way.
View Quote
I have watched mustang6g like a hawk for the past 2 years.

Absolutely NOTHING that is out there would I risk putting in my car with a factory warranty or with an extended warranty.

Maybe on a non-premium car where the center stack is a tiny 3 or 5 inch monitor/backup camera where what you were doing was an actual upgrade.   But wouldnt deal with it on a premium.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#20]
The thread title references a specific engine, and the body of the OP references a specific model.

My Coyote has 4x4, four doors, tons of space, and pulls much better than the EcoBoost fans give it credit for.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The thread title references a specific engine, and the body of the OP references a specific model.

My Coyote has 4x4, four doors, tons of space, and pulls much better than the EcoBoost fans give it credit for.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#22]
2015 owner here. Same exact use. Everyday driver but with the man pedal added.

Seats are very comfortable on long drives.

As great of a bargain the Performance Pack is, don't get it from your perspective as I didn't either.  No spare tire option on pp.

Gotta run. Give more info later
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
2015 owner here. Same exact use. Everyday driver but with the man pedal added.

Seats are very comfortable on long drives.

As great of a bargain the Performance Pack is, don't get it from your perspective as I didn't either.  No spare tire option on pp.

Gotta run. Give more info later
View Quote

Sorry that health issues prevent me from getting the man pedal.

Good to know about the stock seats being good. What's the longest drive you've done in them?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I've gone 300 miles without getting out to stretch my legs.  I'll also add I'm 350 wide lbs too . so I take up plenty of room.

I've got a bad left knee that I sometimes can hardly stand to walk on. But working a clutch is not an issue.

Before I got my '15 I was driving my sons '95 with a King Kong cable actuated clutch and parking in handicapped parking limping like a zombie. No issues at all.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've gone 300 miles without getting out to stretch my legs.  I'll also add I'm 350 wide lbs too . so I take up plenty of room.

I've got a bad left knee that I sometimes can hardly stand to walk on. But working a clutch is not an issue.

Before I got my '15 I was driving my sons '95 with a King Kong cable actuated clutch and parking in handicapped parking limping like a zombie. No issues at all.
View Quote
So about a tank of gas? That works for me. Back issues and all that stuff that goes with them.

My left leg is the worse of the two, so I don't do much with it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a '13 Boss. I bought it and drove it home 1,350 miles. It was firm but comfortable enough. It's all relative though because my girlfriend thinks it rides like it has zero suspension. Broads. A coworker has a '17 GT that I took for a spin and it felt more comfortable and certainly more refined than my car.

My seats are the standard for that year. I saw someone recommend the Recaro option. That's great and, generally, probably solid advice but try them for yourself first just to be sure. I have a friend with a car identical to mine except for the Recaros and they are nice but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the "snugness" of the seat all of the time.

I have zero opinion on what gearing you should look at with the auto.

I'm 48 and the car is a blast. More power, better handling, decent MPG, and even my sparse interior is nicer that traditional muscle cars

Too bad Grabber Blue won't be an option (love it)......
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#27]
If you get a premium count on the "cooling" seats not ammounting to jack dick...

They do nothing as far as cooling.    Heating sure but Mustang6g is full of complaints about the cooling of the seats and attempts at improving the little blower fans which only scavenge air from under the seats.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a '13 Boss. I bought it and drove it home 1,350 miles. It was firm but comfortable enough. It's all relative though because my girlfriend thinks it rides like it has zero suspension. Broads. A coworker has a '17 GT that I took for a spin and it felt more comfortable and certainly more refined than my car.

My seats are the standard for that year. I saw someone recommend the Recaro option. That's great and, generally, probably solid advice but try them for yourself first just to be sure. I have a friend with a car identical to mine except for the Recaros and they are nice but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the "snugness" of the seat all of the time.

I have zero opinion on what gearing you should look at with the auto.

I'm 48 and the car is a blast. More power, better handling, decent MPG, and even my sparse interior is nicer that traditional muscle cars

Too bad Grabber Blue won't be an option (love it)......
http://i64.tinypic.com/20h699w.jpg
View Quote
Is it weird to have a boner after seeing that pic? (no homo )

Great looking car! About the Recaros, I don't think I'll get them due to having less seat moving options and not having an adjustable lumbar support.

I'll have to do more research on gearing for them as well stereo options, but I'll definitely be going the GT premium route.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you get a premium count on the "cooling" seats not ammounting to jack dick...

They do nothing as far as cooling.    Heating sure but Mustang6g is full of complaints about the cooling of the seats and attempts at improving the little blower fans which only scavenge air from under the seats.
View Quote
Useless option for me. Yeah wasted money, but I'd never use the heated or cooling portion of those seats.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Heated seats are awesome. Great on a chilly night with the windows down.

When I mentioned in my other post that my coworkers '17 GT was a bit more comfy and refined I failed to mention that I would take mine over his without a second thought. He thought my car was too eager to get him into trouble. Both of us love, more or less, the same car but expect different things from it. Kinda cool that we could each have exactly what we want with just a few different boxes checked on an order sheet.

The muscle car era is not the late '60s/early '70s.......it is today.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Useless option for me. Yeah wasted money, but I'd never use the heated or cooling portion of those seats.
View Quote
I like leather seats and I liked the better finish of the premium over base interior.

Gone are the days of picking/choosing options.   Everything is bundled.

There was one option I didnt pick on my car from having it maxed out(well I didnt pick it given my car was a dealer ordered car).      I didnt get the package that gives the "shaker pro".   With that came the stupidity of the vehicle avoidance/collision avoidance crap.   Had no interest in that.

I also got stuck with the 980 dollar "option" for the stupid GPS map software system.   Didnt want it and was trying to line item it off the negotiations, it amounts to a stupid chip that installs into the car's system.   As far as I was concerned the dealership could have resold that stupid chip to any other buyer of another car.

I have yet to actually use my GPS software in the car much oess the directions.   It is useless to me.

3 things I want out of a car.    First is performance.   2nd is a nice interior.   3rd is a good sound system.

There was shit bundled with some of my options of my car.   There was also some disappointments like with the damn sound system.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's mine

Attachment Attached File

Unless you order an '18 (at this point I would since your getting an auto. Might as well be the new 10 speed) plan on a spring swap for a better ride!  I've got Steeda Progressives on mine.
Also running 20mm spacers to bring the wheels out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I like leather seats and I liked the better finish of the premium over base interior.

Gone are the days of picking/choosing options.   Everything is bundled.

There was one option I didnt pick on my car from having it maxed out(well I didnt pick it given my car was a dealer ordered car).      I didnt get the package that gives the "shaker pro".   With that came the stupidity of the vehicle avoidance/collision avoidance crap.   Had no interest in that.

I also got stuck with the 980 dollar "option" for the stupid GPS map software system.   Didnt want it and was trying to line item it off the negotiations, it amounts to a stupid chip that installs into the car's system.   As far as I was concerned the dealership could have resold that stupid chip to any other buyer of another car.

I have yet to actually use my GPS software in the car much oess the directions.   It is useless to me.

3 things I want out of a car.    First is performance.   2nd is a nice interior.   3rd is a good sound system.

There was shit bundled with some of my options of my car.   There was also some disappointments like with the damn sound system.
View Quote
Exactly. Same way I think. I don't need nav. I have a smartphone and a garmin. Both do a better job and free updates.

In the long run, it's how they make their money. They take a popular option and bundle it with other crap, as most people will still pick that option. If it's a dealer optioned car I'm looking at, I'd do exactly what you did to get it knocked down/ off.
It's worked in a few instances, as they want that car gone. If it's a customer order, you really don't have much leverage to knock that price down on that package.

The best for me was when I was looking at my Cherokee. Dealer said they could have it to me the next day. I told them to trailer it and I'll pay the charge for it. They agreed.
Dealer kept trying to get me to sign the paperwork before seeing the vehicle, when I went to pick it up. I finally got them to let me see it and saw they drove it 500 miles. The look on the salesperson's and manager's faces were priceless as I walked out of the dealership
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's mine

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/IMG-1685-252288.JPG

Unless you order an '18 (at this point I would since your getting an auto. Might as well be the new 10 speed) plan on a spring swap for a better ride!  I've got Steeda Progressives on mine.
Also running 20mm spacers to bring the wheels out.
View Quote
Perfect color! Yeah, I'm leaning hard towards the 18, even with the fascia change. Gives me a bit more time to get a few more ducks in a row, but if I see a screaming deal on a 17, I'm not sure if I could pass it up.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Glad i went with my 15.   The car has grown on me a ton.   Only things i want to change(with ease not effecting warranty) 8s the hood and exhaust.
I really dont like the 18 front end.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/Vh2pvHGh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xhdkACbh.jpg

Glad i went with my 15.   The car has grown on me a ton.   Only things i want to change(with ease not effecting warranty) 8s the hood and exhaust.
I really dont like the 18 front end.
View Quote
Main gripe on the 18, from what I've seen has been the front end.

It doesn't seem to bother me as much, but it does look somewhat toyotaish ( is that a word? )

I'll just be glad to lose the 4wd truck that I currently have. If I'm getting lower MPG, I want to have fun doing it. The Mustang will probably get better MPG though.

The only reason for the 4wd is I lived in Missouri prior to moving to Florida. Now, I can drive a nice car all year long w/o any worries other than crazy non drivers.

EDIT: Nice car! Love the dark clouds in the lower pic.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#37]
My history for my 7300 miles driven is right at 14mpg.    I dont try to conserve gas at all

Freeway mpg is around 22 cruising at 75-80mph.   Again 3.73 gears.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My history for my 7300 miles driven is right at 14mpg.    I dont try to conserve gas at all

Freeway mpg is around 22 cruising at 75-80mph.   Again 3.73 gears.
View Quote
Would be similar to my truck. V6 Colorado 3.42 gears IIRC. I got a hair over 24 MPG doing 75-80 on the 1200 mile trip from Missouri. And yes, I love blue.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Mine's a 2016 GT PP.  

great power
relatively livable as a daily driver
interior is decent
better NVH than a Camaro
better trunk room and visibility than a Camaro
enough headroom for me to actually drive without my head on the headliner

dislikes:
6MT is notchy (not an issue if you're going auto)
paint is VERY soft and susceptible to damage
exhaust is way too quiet (easily solved with an aftermarket system)
less low-end torque than a Camaro
cooled seats are pretty really pathetic (even with the TSB updates performed)
suspension too soft without the performance pack
crappy gas mileage (expected)

If you're buying new and buying an auto, it's worth waiting for the 10spd in the 2018 (the as-yet-unspecified power bump should be a nice bonus).  I think the 5.0 / 10spd combo will be spectacular and you'll be able to get the perf pack with the auto, I think.  Some speculation that the 2018 base car will come with the big-screen head unit, which is the main reason to go for the premium trim.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60878/IMG-2487-252393.JPG

Mine's a 2016 GT PP.  

great power
relatively livable as a daily driver
interior is decent
better NVH than a Camaro
better trunk room and visibility than a Camaro
enough headroom for me to actually drive without my head on the headliner

dislikes:
6MT is notchy (not an issue if you're going auto)
paint is VERY soft and susceptible to damage
exhaust is way too quiet (easily solved with an aftermarket system)
less low-end torque than a Camaro
cooled seats are pretty really pathetic (even with the TSB updates performed)
suspension too soft without the performance pack
crappy gas mileage (expected)

If you're buying new and buying an auto, it's worth waiting for the 10spd in the 2018 (the as-yet-unspecified power bump should be a nice bonus).  I think the 5.0 / 10spd combo will be spectacular and you'll be able to get the perf pack with the auto, I think.  Some speculation that the 2018 base car will come with the big-screen head unit, which is the main reason to go for the premium trim.  
View Quote
Thank you for the pros and cons.

What's the issue with the paint? First I've heard about that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thank you for the pros and cons.

What's the issue with the paint? First I've heard about that.
View Quote
Look through the forums (like mustang6g.com).  Lots of complaints about soft paint.  I have lots of little ding and chips on leading surfaces.  Not noticeable from a few feet away, but pretty ridiculous when you're looking up close.  On the upside, I think the paint has very little "orange peel" compared to a lot of new cars.  If you're buying new, I'd seriously consider adding some protection film to the front end, mirrors, and maybe even the leading edge of the roof.  

I added a Corsa Sport exhaust system and it sounds great--loud when I give it some gas, but still not to the obnoxious level, and no drone in the cabin at all.  It's all vanity, but worth it (the consensus is that aftermarket exhausts add very little, if any, power).  The dual mode exhaust on the 2018's will hopefully make aftermarket systems less necessary.  

Overall I LOVE the car.  It should be relatively cheap to maintain (except tires) and at least decently reliable.  I get lots more commentary than I was expecting for it being just a Mustang, especially on the comp orange color.  Not that many Mustangs here in SLC.  

Honestly, there are not that many ~$40k or less sports car options if you exclude the hot hatch segment:
Mustang
Camaro - not enough headroom for me; subjectively looks worse than the mustang.
BRZ/86 - not enough power.  One tried to race me at a stoplight in my old-ass BMW 540ia; I handily smoked him steering with my knee and eating my Frosty.  I was embarrassed for him.  
Miata/124 - amazing cars in their own right (a <2400 pound new car!!??!!), but not what I wanted
370Z - if that platform were a person, he'd be getting a driver's license!  Way overdue for an update.
Challenger - huge.  and relatively expensive for a scat-pack or SRT.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Look through the forums (like mustang6g.com).  Lots of complaints about soft paint.  I have lots of little ding and chips on leading surfaces.  Not noticeable from a few feet away, but pretty ridiculous when you're looking up close.  On the upside, I think the paint has very little "orange peel" compared to a lot of new cars.  If you're buying new, I'd seriously consider adding some protection film to the front end, mirrors, and maybe even the leading edge of the roof.  

I added a Corsa Sport exhaust system and it sounds great--loud when I give it some gas, but still not to the obnoxious level, and no drone in the cabin at all.  It's all vanity, but worth it (the consensus is that aftermarket exhausts add very little, if any, power).  The dual mode exhaust on the 2018's will hopefully make aftermarket systems less necessary.  

Overall I LOVE the car.  It should be relatively cheap to maintain (except tires) and at least decently reliable.  I get lots more commentary than I was expecting for it being just a Mustang, especially on the comp orange color.  Not that many Mustangs here in SLC.  

Honestly, there are not that many ~$40k or less sports car options if you exclude the hot hatch segment:
Mustang
Camaro - not enough headroom for me; subjectively looks worse than the mustang.
BRZ/86 - not enough power.  One tried to race me at a stoplight in my old-ass BMW 540ia; I handily smoked him steering with my knee and eating my Frosty.  I was embarrassed for him.  
Miata/124 - amazing cars in their own right (a <2400 pound new car!!??!!), but not what I wanted
370Z - if that platform were a person, he'd be getting a driver's license!  Way overdue for an update.
Challenger - huge.  and relatively expensive for a scat-pack or SRT.
View Quote
Challenger, one of the other cars I was looking at. You can pick one ( scat pack ) up for for around the same price as a gt premium and you get more HP, but yeah, more weight. Was a sale on them ( charger, challenger, srt, and scat pack ) a few months back. 20% off MSRP. 45K car for very low 30's was nuts.
If I wasn't getting ready to buy a house. I would have been all over that deal.

Paint. Will have to check out that website and do some reading. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:57:45 AM EDT
[#43]
He is correct on the paint.

It is super thin.

I have some rash on my quarter panels from the front tires throwing up so much shit.    Was showing within the first 2000 miles.

The undercoat/ecoat is grey which only further accentuates the damn rock chips on a black car.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Don't get an automatic, and get whichever package includes the Brembo brake upgrade. 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't get an automatic, and get whichever package includes the Brembo brake upgrade. 
View Quote
Someone didn't read the thread or OP.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He is correct on the paint.

It is super thin.

I have some rash on my quarter panels from the front tires throwing up so much shit.    Was showing within the first 2000 miles.

The undercoat/ecoat is grey which only further accentuates the damn rock chips on a black car.
View Quote
All new cars have soft paint.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess my Colorado is an oddball then. I've had stuff in the garage hit it a few times and see no issues with it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I guess my Colorado is an oddball then. I've had stuff in the garage hit it a few times and see no issues with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a friend that owns a Chevrolet dealership and another couple that work at Toyota and BMW dealerships and they can all attest to newer cars having softer/weaker paint.  They get swirl marks super easy, rock chips super easy, their detail shops fight it on a regular basis because sometimes they wash a brand new car after PDI and it already has swirls/scratches in the paint.  

That was the reason I didn't let the dealership that I bought my C7 from wash it after it came off the truck, and it still had scratches in the clear coat from the car cover they put on vettes during shipment.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have a friend that owns a Chevrolet dealership and another couple that work at Toyota and BMW dealerships and they can all attest to newer cars having softer/weaker paint.  They get swirl marks super easy, rock chips super easy, their detail shops fight it on a regular basis because sometimes they wash a brand new car after PDI and it already has swirls/scratches in the paint.  

That was the reason I didn't let the dealership that I bought my C7 from wash it after it came off the truck, and it still had scratches in the clear coat from the car cover they put on vettes during shipment.
View Quote
Okay. 2014 Jeep Cherokee and no paint issues. 2015 JKU and no paint issues. It's not as widespread as you make it out to be.

Back to Mustangs....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top