Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 11:43:49 PM EDT
I'm currently attempting to sell an old 2003 Ram 1500 and have been blown away at the trade-in values that I've received for my truck (no mechanical problem history).  With only 150k miles on it, I think it would be conservative to say It could make it another 5 years without any "real" risk of parts wearing out.  

My question is: Regardless of KBB value for trucks,  what is the minimum a well-maintained older truck should sell for?

If I scrapped the engine, sold the tires, toolbox and other parts, I could come up with several thousand dollars individually, MUCH LESS A QUALITY RUNNING TRUCK!!! Has anyone else experienced this?
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:55:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Truck isn't old enough to have any collector value. None of those big grille Dodge designs bring any money up here in ohio unless it is a clean Cummins truck.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:58:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Varies by region.  Generally $2K or so, as nice as yours sounds it should be worth $4-5 I would think.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you can get when you have to get something for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Take it up north.  It will probably sell better in the rust belt if you have a running rust free truck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm currently attempting to sell an old 2003 Ram 1500 and have been blown away at the trade-in values that I've received for my truck (no mechanical problem history).  With only 150k miles on it, I think it would be conservative to say It could make it another 5 years without any "real" risk of parts wearing out.  

My question is: Regardless of KBB value for trucks,  what is the minimum a well-maintained older truck should sell for?

If I scrapped the engine, sold the tires, toolbox and other parts, I could come up with several thousand dollars individually, MUCH LESS A QUALITY RUNNING TRUCK!!! Has anyone else experienced this?
View Quote

Too many variables. Which engine/trans combo? How is the paint? Any dents or damage beyond a door ding or two? Standard, extended, or true four door cab? How is the interior? Any extra add-ons (tool box, running boards/nerf bars, grill guard, etc) add nothing to the value of the truck unless the buyer is looking to add those exact same accessories. It's simply excess crap for them to dispose of when they get it home, so don't use any of that stuff to calculate value.

Unless buyers are looking for a used work truck to beat the hell out of, paint, body, and interior condition are very important to buyers. Cab configuration is also extremely important, as most buyers are not interested in standard cabs anymore. There's also no shortage of those big-nosed Dodges running around here, so the demand is pretty low.

If you're looking to trade it in to a dealer of new or late-model vehicles, they're going to beat you down on the value because they simply don't want your truck on their lot. It's too old and has too many miles, so it'll go to auction or the dealer's wholesale lot (if they have one).
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#6]
dodge, not much, gotta remember it was cheap when new
I'd only buy it if I was really desperate for a truck.
though in all honesty, I'd buy a dodge before a chevy
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#7]
One of our dealerships took in a 1989 Chevy/GMC with 250k+ miles on it.  I think they gave $1,500 for it.  It ran well, but the paint was shot.  Several guys at the dealership were thinking about buying it because of the old style 350 and how easy/cheap they are to work on.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably around $2K to at most $5k. Unfortunately due to age your truck is basically a beater level vehicle.

My car is at that point too.  I can buy the same model and trim for under $3k now. I'm half tempted to buy one just to keep it around as a parts vehicle should I need parts for mine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't even give away a 1993 318 nv4500 dodge half ton long bed
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't even give away a 1993 318 nv4500 dodge half ton long bed
View Quote
Want to part it out? I need another nv4500 
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#11]
About 10 years ago there was some random middle-east footage on one of the news networks of ISIS fighters tearing around in a Ford F150.  The problem was the phone number on the side of the door was still connected to the plumber somewhere in the southern US who sold the truck a year before.  The poor guy was getting hate calls from idiots accusing him of supporting ISIS.  
      My point is:  Trucks like that still have plenty of value.  It was worth it for somebody to ship it 1/2 way around the world.  It's just that spoiled USA culture doesn't want to or need to drive anything that old.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright Al Bundy

NOBODY wants to drive a dodge that old.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take it up north.  It will probably sell better in the rust belt if you have a running rust free truck.
View Quote
This.. a good sticker and no rust should sell pretty fast..

I had an 05 tahoe with 198k and some rust, i still got $4000 for it here could of got more but meh wanted it gone.

Just a newer inspection sticker adds a grand onto the value alone. Haha.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Truth!

Them Yankees will pay out the nose for a truck that doesn't have so much rust you can throw a dead cat through the side of the bed
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
For reference in Missouri 1999-2002ish 4x4 ext cab Silverados with rust and shit brakes and bald tires sell for $1500-2500 as long as the 4WD works.  If your's is 2WD up here that's a 1200-1500 truck.

Trade-in?    WTF are you thinking?  of COURSE they are only gonna offer you $500 as they then put it on their shit lot and sell it for $1500-2000.  SELL IT YOURSELF on craigslist.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
About 10 years ago there was some random middle-east footage on one of the news networks of ISIS fighters tearing around in a Ford F150.  The problem was the phone number on the side of the door was still connected to the plumber somewhere in the southern US who sold the truck a year before.  The poor guy was getting hate calls from idiots accusing him of supporting ISIS.  
      My point is:  Trucks like that still have plenty of value.  It was worth it for somebody to ship it 1/2 way around the world.  It's just that spoiled USA culture doesn't want to or need to drive anything that old.  
View Quote
That was maybe 2 years ago maybe 3
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Should be able to get $4-5000 with an ad on craigslist
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That was maybe 2 years ago maybe 3
View Quote
Yep, I guess not even two.  
/Plumber's truck ti ISIS truck

It's been a shitty couple of years for me.  Seams like longer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
4wd-$2000

2wd-$1000
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Alright Al Bundy

NOBODY wants to drive a dodge that old.
View Quote
I do. I actually want another 75-79  w/318, NP435, and NP203. W200 or 300, preferably.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Basement seems to be about $2k for a running truck with 4x4 these days
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top