Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 11:44:10 PM EDT
I looked on line and I couldn't find a vid or any info exactly how they come apart. 93 5.7 intake manifold heater hose. Do these use the half moon tools to take apart or is there another way/special tool to remove them? Also need to remove the oil cooler ones, to replace the lines. Engine is out, so now is the time.

The Zebra needs a new heart. I think I busted some rings last summer. Been blowing oil out the dipstick, and it is down on power. Only 267K what the heck, where's my 400K? I can't afford a new engine right now and a buddy had a donor with more miles but still running decent.

Any pics of removing the line would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that's the style with two plastic tabs. Squeeze those together and they'll pull out with the line.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#3]
50 BMG
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
On the manifold end. Heater core are ok.
Thanks for the effort though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On the manifold end. Heater core are ok.
Thanks for the effort though.
View Quote
So they aren't the same?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think that's the style with two plastic tabs. Squeeze those together and they'll pull out with the line.
View Quote
The tab that broke when I applied a little pressure? I guess I may need to go another route. I'm guessing I could remove the quick connect (hopefully it doesn't break off. I found that "how to") and put in an old fashioned nipple and hose clamp.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So they aren't the same?
View Quote
Similar, but metal and no hole in the side to push on the plastic. I tried to squeeze the tab that was sticking out and it broke off. So now it looks like not many options other than cut the hose, and replace with the old fashioned nipple and clamp. Might be better anyway.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#8]
The oil cooler lines have the same set up. I was hoping someone had a secret squirrel trick to get the damned things apart without breaking. Or having to replace the line at least.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You are talking about almost 25 year old plastic that has been heated to 200° and cooled down how many times?

Hell just looking at the thing could make it break
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Spray a little WD on it before hand.

Push them together before pulling apart.

Be careful.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Autozone/O'Reiley's sells the disconnect tools, the two-piece "half moon" device you slide over the tube and push back, then pull the fitting forward, to unlock.

ETA: I have had success as others suggsted with screwdrivers ,but I've also fucked things up that way too.  The tool is cheap enough to get for those occasional uses.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
 The natural color plastic piece is supposed to come off with the hose. When you squeeze "1" it is supposed to cam the little tabs "2" out so you can slip the retainer over the flared part of the pipe.

Lube.
Push hose on pipe.
Squeeze tabs. "1" (no pliers necessary)
Pull hose off ( may require a little wiggle to get tabs over flare)
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Well I finally got time to work on it a bit. I got lucky. When the one half broke off, the wedge part came out. Sprayed a little WD on it and carefully pushed the other one in and it released. I still think that end is getting an old fashioned nipple replacement though.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top