Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2016 9:44:44 PM EDT
75k miles. Clear coat peeling on both driverside doors n front quarter. Starting to rust some on edges. Everything else but tailgate good with minor rock dings/rust.

Worth $1200 to prep n paint?

Worth it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Only 75K miles on a 16+ year old truck?

Really depends on the overall condition of the truck - got any pics?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only 75K miles on a 16+ year old truck?

Really depends on the overall condition of the truck - got any pics?
View Quote

Overall condition of the truck is excellent, other than the paint problems on the left side.  Single owner, it was my dad's. It was run every week or so out at the farm, but rarely driven off the ranch, usually to haul trailers. 15k of those miles are me in the last two years.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
75k miles. Clear coat peeling on both driverside doors n front quarter. Starting to rust some on edges. Everything else but tailgate good with minor rock dings/rust.

Worth $1200 to prep n paint?

Worth it?
View Quote

definitely
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
1200 doesnt seem to bad to me.  You have to cut away the old rust and fix it or it will only get worse, even with a new paint job.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
If those miles are accurate and the truck isn't a salvage or otherwise branded title, its worth it to paint the whole truck if need be.

Very valuable truck there!

Id almost wonder if it was involved in a small accident or something that needed paint work on that side.  Odd for factory paint to delaminate in only one spot.  Usually its due to repainting during its service life.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If those miles are accurate and the truck isn't a salvage or otherwise branded title, its worth it to paint the whole truck if need be.

Very valuable truck there!

Id almost wonder if it was involved in a small accident or something that needed paint work on that side.  Odd for factory paint to delaminate in only one spot.  Usually its due to repainting during its service life.

View Quote

That is also my guess, that a cow hit it or something and my dad had it repaired or he ran into something. He destroyed the tailgate on a gooseneck :)
My stepmom says not that she know of though.

Everything else about the truck is about perfect. It even has that engine serial # with the forged rods or something.

I had to replace that drain on the fuel filter. It was pissing diesel on the ground. Still stinks of diesel tho when I start it up. Maybe another leak?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
7.3L with only 75K?  You're in unicorn territory with that, take care of it and it will take care of you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top