Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 9:23:04 PM EDT
Current shocks are shot. Looking for your guys opinion on quality shocks. This is the vehicle my girl drives with our two little ones so I want quality and a creamy smooth ride and reliability. 90% pavement 10% or less mimimal off-road for hunting, fishing, trailer etc. I have heard quite a few suggestions of Bilstein 5100, but would like to hear what you guys think.

If you have a Ford F-150 or F-250 I would like to hear your thoughts as well for when I have to replace them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
5100s are what you want. Same for F1-250, or any other truck or SUV that Bilstein makes 5100s for. I run race shocks personally, but they are expensive and require frequent maintenance and regular rebuilds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Just my experience with my F250.

From stock added RS5000 Rancho shocks.  Slightly better than stock but wore out quickly and allowed front to bottom out easily.

Switched to Bilstein 5100s. First ride on familiar roads, I thought my tires were low.  The sharp edges on bumps were gone.  Tire pressure was fine, just superior dampers.

I think you'll like the 5100s.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't be happier with my Bilsteins.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Current shocks are shot. Looking for your guys opinion on quality shocks. This is the vehicle my girl drives with our two little ones so I want quality and a creamy smooth ride and reliability. 90% pavement 10% or less mimimal off-road for hunting, fishing, trailer etc. I have heard quite a few suggestions of Bilstein 5100, but would like to hear what you guys think.

If you have a Ford F-150 or F-250 I would like to hear your thoughts as well for when I have to replace them.
View Quote

How do you like your Tahoe?  I just picked up a 2003 Z71 with 46k original miles.  My shocks are still great but the bodies are rusted.  After I get the bottom undercoated I'd like to replace mine as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the Tahoe. It's mostly the family ride but I'm the main driver of all the vehicles.

I like it. It's got room , it can tow a decent amount, I've got the Z71 package so I have every feature it can come with.

The only thing I can say about it is I have chased the typical Chevy demons: window motors lame, running lights, gauge cluster, loves fuel filters, other then that it's a great truck!

Interior wise and most generally I am a ford guy but I have also owned silverados and tahoes and I just like the drivability and drive train so much better. I have had good lick with both and honestly the only time I've ever been stranded was when my Silverado fuel pump went out, BUT it gave me weeks of warning before hand so it was honestly my fault.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Bilsteins 4600 or 5100
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I am doing the same, but for an extended Expedition. I am down to the Bilstines or the Rancho heavy duty adjustable shocks.

As best I can tell from reviews is the Bilstiens are a bit more sporty and the Ranchos can be adjusted to a more smooth setting.

I think I am going to go with the Ranchos, I think there 9200 series? They are a heavy duty USA made shock not like their regular line up. They are fully adjustable and seem to get good reviews for those seeking a smoother ride.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I put genuine ACDelco front shocks on my Tahoe.
( the originals  went 175,000 miles )
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an 05 tahoe leveled with 33's and the Bilstein 5100s are great On and off road. It even lifted my truck an inch(my shocks were toast also) haha.

here's a good price for them
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Well after about everyone has said the same thing it looks like I'm gonna get the bilsteins. Thanks for the help guys.

Next will be tires.... Will either be Coopers or good years. Had real good luck with both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top