Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2015 11:23:22 PM EDT
Thinking about picking one up.  Looks like a fun commuter.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3MVDLK0u8

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking about picking one up.  Looks like a fun commuter.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3MVDLK0u8

View Quote

Hotified
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never ridden one. In fact, I don't think that I've ever seen one, but they always seemed to get great reviews for being fun. I'd love to take one for a spin.

They are hard to find, not sure how the aftermarket would be.

On a sorta related note, I'm really really really thinking about a new Tuono Factory
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Stupid name for a fun hooligan bike.
Sounds like a square dance move.

Where's the closest Aprilia dealer?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not ridden the Dorso. However, I have ridden the new Caponord which I believe uses the Dorso 1200 motor. Granted the Capo is much heavier than the Dorso, but I felt that the Capo ran out of revs way early. I really felt it needed at least another 4K rpm to rev because it was just making power when I hit the rev limiter. I liked everything else about the new Capo and I would have bought one if not for the lackluster motor in it. Even the Aprilia factory rep (who was hosting the Capo rides) agreed with me concerning the motor.

With that said, I do own and ride the hell out of an Aprilia Tuono. I have a limited edition, pre-production Tuono that was essentially made as a proof-of-concept for the Tuono concept before full scale production of the Tuono began. I love that bike. I haven't had a single issue with it - my Aprilia has proven to be bullet proof and I would buy another Aprilia without hesitation.

If you buy the Dorso, I definitely want to know what you think about it after riding it for a while. What else do you ride?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I rode several aprilia bikes years ago when I was looking (ended up with a Buell 1125R of all things) but I think aprilia makes good stuff.

Still kinda want a RSV-R.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Moto International,

Why?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Moto International,
Why?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moto International,
Why?  

Parts are a bitch to get for Aprilias.  
The local dealer usually has 2-5 sitting in the used bike lot.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have not ridden the Dorso. However, I have ridden the new Caponord which I believe uses the Dorso 1200 motor. Granted the Capo is much heavier than the Dorso, but I felt that the Capo ran out of revs way early. I really felt it needed at least another 4K rpm to rev because it was just making power when I hit the rev limiter. I liked everything else about the new Capo and I would have bought one if not for the lackluster motor in it. Even the Aprilia factory rep (who was hosting the Capo rides) agreed with me concerning the motor.

With that said, I do own and ride the hell out of an Aprilia Tuono. I have a limited edition, pre-production Tuono that was essentially made as a proof-of-concept for the Tuono concept before full scale production of the Tuono began. I love that bike. I haven't had a single issue with it - my Aprilia has proven to be bullet proof and I would buy another Aprilia without hesitation.

If you buy the Dorso, I definitely want to know what you think about it after riding it for a while. What else do you ride?
View Quote

The reason why the Caponord runs out of power is because it does not use the same engine as the Dorsoduro.

The Caponord gets a 1,197 cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine similar to that found in the Dorsoduro 1200.
Aprilia says the engine and electronics are tuned for more mid-range power, which is aided by including 52 mm throttle bodies instead of the 57 mm ones found in the Dorso.
The Caponord makes a (claimed) 125 horsepower at 8,250 rpm and 84.6 foot-pounds of torque at 6,800 rpm wile the Dorsoduro makes 85lb-ft in its mid-range at 7,200rpm, while peak power of 130bhp arrives at 8,700rpm.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moto International,
Why?  

Af1racing.com  is the answer for parts, not a local dealer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The reason why the Caponord runs out of power is because it does not use the same engine as the Dorsoduro.

The Caponord gets a 1,197 cc liquid-cooled V-twin engine similar to that found in the Dorsoduro 1200.
Aprilia says the engine and electronics are tuned for more mid-range power, which is aided by including 52 mm throttle bodies instead of the 57 mm ones found in the Dorso.
The Caponord makes a (claimed) 125 horsepower at 8,250 rpm and 84.6 foot-pounds of torque at 6,800 rpm wile the Dorsoduro makes 85lb-ft in its mid-range at 7,200rpm, while peak power of 130bhp arrives at 8,700rpm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Maybe I'll reconsider the Capo when Aprilia gets smart and puts the 57mm TBs on the motor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moto International,

Why?  

I haven't experienced any delays in getting any parts for my RSVR, and it hasn't been in production since 09.  The DD 1200 is still produced, just not imported to the US. http://www.it.aprilia.it/it/it/index/modelli/moto/road/dorsoduro-1200.html

2-5 DD1200's  for sale at 1 dealer?

There is only 5 for sale on cycletrader in US right now.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't experienced any delays in getting any parts for my RSVR, and it hasn't been in production since 09.  The DD 1200 is still produced, just not imported to the US. http://www.it.aprilia.it/it/it/index/modelli/moto/road/dorsoduro-1200.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moto International,
Why?  

Comprehension is a motherfucker.  

What did I type?
"Parts are a bitch to get for Aprilias.  
The local dealer usually has 2-5 sitting in the used bike lot."

I didn't think I needed to type:
The local dealer usually has 2-5 ***Aprilia's*** sitting in the used bike lot.

I was speaking of Aprilia's, not just the Dosido.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

What did I type?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Moto International,

Why?  

What did I type?

Sometimes I just can't word good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top