Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Trail Worthy Fab LED bars
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking at small 6" LED light bars for my dirt bike

This is the result of a $250 6 bulb LED bar.

Not my image.

I'd imagine those obnoxiously large light bars that have become a fad for trucks will be much much brighter.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not my image.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/cyclopsmotorsports/610personvsstock.jpg

I'd imagine those obnoxiously large light bars that have become a fad for trucks will be much much brighter.
View Quote

I have a cheap Ebay 30" on my side by side.  It's bright as all hell, but the throw isn't really much better than the stock LED headlights.  It does massively fill in the dark spots in the ditches though.  An $800 Rigid bar may be better, but I use it so little that I can't justify the $.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]

My boss has 6 of those on his Rubicon.

Not one is wired up though.

Total chromed out mall crawler.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have a cheap Ebay 30" on my side by side.  It's bright as all hell, but the throw isn't really much better than the stock LED headlights.  It does massively fill in the dark spots in the ditches though.  An $800 Rigid bar may be better, but I use it so little that I can't justify the $.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my image.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/cyclopsmotorsports/610personvsstock.jpg

From the experience of others that I've read, most of the ebay led light bars tend to do pretty well. They can be bought in an array of setups, but I suggest the half throw half flood setup. They are cheap enough to just replace if they break. I can't justify the price of the expensive ones either. Not with the price of LEDs being so cheap. I support capitalism, but not being ripped off.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LED light bar and be done.
View Quote

This.  I have a some Rigid LED bars.  20" and 10".  I have not seen a traditional driving light setup that comes even close.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This.  I have a some Rigid LED bars.  20" and 10".  I have not seen a traditional driving light setup that comes even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a 32" ebay LED mounted on my old truck.  I think I paid $85 for it, and it was pretty bright.

I'll be getting a 20" Rigid for my new truck, though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't like the LED Light bars at all. I think they just look wrong.

I've got KC HiLites Slimlites on my Jeep.

They just look good, work good, and are made of metal, not plastic.

I also like the set ofThese that I put on - very nice wiring solution. (Though I think I added them with the winch, not the lights)

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I had a 32" ebay LED mounted on my old truck.  I think I paid $85 for it, and it was pretty bright.

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Jdaytime/media/DCA513D7-CA04-499F-9CBD-39B176DC3408_zps94sxrz2h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jdaytime/DCA513D7-CA04-499F-9CBD-39B176DC3408_zps94sxrz2h.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Jdaytime/media/DCA513D7-CA04-499F-9CBD-39B176DC3408_zps94sxrz2h.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Jdaytime/DCA513D7-CA04-499F-9CBD-39B176DC3408_zps94sxrz2h.jpg</a>

Looks awesome.

I honestly don't know how far cheap light bars have come.  I hear they are getting close to Rigid in terms of light output.  I like my 20" Rigid (combo fog/spot) though.  All the forward light I could ever want.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
24 inch ebay special on my Tahoe, that bastard is bright but not too focused. it is brighter than my headlights and throws light out on the sides of the roads and way up into the trees too..

it does the job good enough that I'm going to get another one @30 inch for the RZR soon

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:10:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it depends on your goals.

LEDs are about impossible to beat for flood type light.  You might get pretty good throw out of them, too... and unless you're desert racing at 80-100mph offroad I don't think you're ever going to outrun it.  The ebay specials get generally pretty good reviews for the price.  Hard to beat when you can go through like fifteen of the 50" bars for the same cost as a freakin' Rigid 50" bar.

I still think a quality HID for spotlights are the way to go... and even some of the ebay HID specials get decent reviews (no personal experience just yet, however).  But if you look at photos/videos of KC Hilighter HID spots, they throw light STUPID far.

I think define your budget, your realistic needs/desires, and go from there.  A combo of a nice super bright LED light/s and a couple HID spots will make everything you need look like daylight (albeit at slightly different color temperatures, heh).
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

LEDs are about impossible to beat for flood type light.  You might get pretty good throw out of them, too... and unless you're desert racing at 80-100mph offroad I don't think you're ever going to outrun it.  The ebay specials get generally pretty good reviews for the price.  Hard to beat when you can go through like fifteen of the 50" bars for the same cost as a freakin' Rigid 50" bar.

I still think a quality HID for spotlights are the way to go... and even some of the ebay HID specials get decent reviews (no personal experience just yet, however).  But if you look at photos/videos of KC Hilighter HID spots, they throw light STUPID far.

I think define your budget, your realistic needs/desires, and go from there.  A combo of a nice super bright LED light/s and a couple HID spots will make everything you need look like daylight (albeit at slightly different color temperatures, heh).
View Quote

The problem with cheap HID lighting is that they don't tend to last or work consistently.  We made that mistake in racing and wound up losing our lighting mid race when the ballasts started failing.  Scary.

We went with Rigid units after I finished torture testing a set on my daily driver during the off season.  Freezing tempratures.  Boiling heat.  Leave them on for hours.  They just work.  Perfect for endurance racing. The other teams don't even seem to have problems with the cheap knockoffs.  I'll wager that cheap LED lighting is much more reliable than cheap HID lighting.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Hella makes some nice lights . Not cheap but they work well . I have not seen a lot of throw out of most of the LED's to keep up when you are going a decent speed
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The problem with cheap HID lighting is that they don't tend to last or work consistently.  We made that mistake in racing and wound up losing our lighting mid race when the ballasts started failing.  Scary.

We went with Rigid units after I finished torture testing a set on my daily driver during the off season.  Freezing tempratures.  Boiling heat.  Leave them on for hours.  They just work.  Perfect for endurance racing. The other teams don't even seem to have problems with the cheap knockoffs.  I'll wager that cheap LED lighting is much more reliable than cheap HID lighting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That I can believe.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I have both Rigid (D2 DOT fog cubes & D2 Driving cubes) and Lightforce 55W HID 170's which I run with the wide filter.

A great setup IMO would be a set of D2 DOT fog cubes (which you can run with your headlights) and a 6-10in bar in either Driving or Combo (driving + spot) pattern -- this is what I'll be running on my XJ when I get around to it.

My Wrangler has the Lightforce HID 170's and HID projector heads which provide wayyyy more than enough forward and flood light. The Rigid D2 driving lights will move to the rear bumper on the wrangler once I get the bar mounted on the hood of the XJ.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#21]
50" LED on top and 20" LED in the bumper.  This is with my high beams on.  Both are Rough Country parts.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was looking at the 170s with 100w  bulbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightforce

That is what I run on my Land Cruiser, Strykers with 100's and I also have the IR covers and lower output bulbs.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Are you running 2 or 4 lights?
How is the throw?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lightforce

That is what I run on my Land Cruiser, Strykers with 100's and I also have the IR covers and lower output bulbs.

<a href="http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/archtaan/media/Trucks/Land%20Cruiser/IMAG0159_zpsf6nm5te1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/archtaan/Trucks/Land%20Cruiser/IMAG0159_zpsf6nm5te1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/archtaan/media/Trucks/Land%20Cruiser/IMAG0155_zpsghbmvlml.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/archtaan/Trucks/Land%20Cruiser/IMAG0155_zpsghbmvlml.jpg</a>

Are you running 2 or 4 lights?
How is the throw?

2 lights.  Throw is awesome, stupid easy to wire when you get their kit, the security nuts are a nice feature as well as the interchangeable lens.

Ill see if I can get an in cab pic tonight.  

I used to have 240 blitz's and they are insane.  I like that on the blitz you can dial the throw from a spot to a flood, but they are too big for my application.  

The bottom 2 are just fogs, nothing fancy, typical of the output you see on any truck nowadays.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I just ordered a Trail Worthy Fab 20".  Great reviews on them, and only cost me $186 shipped with a wiring harness.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Company in Florida named Seward, looked at their reviews and some friends have their stuff on their rigs.

Very good reviews and warranty, plus price isn't a killer like the Rigid brand.

Gonna buy a mini bar and a couple floods for my Jeep Rubicon.

http://sewardoffroad.com/

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#27]

This. I have 2 100 watts on my jeep that came with wiring harness and mounts for 130 bucks.  Look at quadratec. I would mix and match if i were you 2 long range and 2 driving.  Just remember the driving lights do not go on the A pillar because they throw light to the sides

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

http://www.kchilites.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/_/4/_42a7014.jpg

I also like the set ofThese that I put on - very nice wiring solution. (Though I think I added them with the winch, not the lights)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cCp-J1QTL.jpg
View Quote
What does the bottom pic do? Terminal with screw in points? I am gettin g a winch soon and I am running out of terminal space

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What does the bottom pic do? Terminal with screw in points? I am gettin g a winch soon and I am running out of terminal space  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.kchilites.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/_/4/_42a7014.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cCp-J1QTL.jpg

http://www.parts-express.com/p3-platinum-positive-%28-%29-battery-terminal-tri-oval--263-677

ar-jedi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top