Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2015 3:05:08 AM EDT
OK, I have a 2006 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 3.7L V6
Body is in great condition.  153K miles.  Runs good.  I'm the 2nd owner.  I really like this SUV and want to keep it for a long time.  Thinking of putting some money in it, but I know very little about "upgrading" vehicles.  This is where you come in, help me out.

What I'm thinking:

Evergreen Timing chain w/water pump $160
Mishimoto universal intercooler $268
K&N air intake with reusable filter $316
Magnaflow Performance exhaust $692
SkyJacker Nitro 8000 Shocks and struts $200
2" lift kit $??
Jet Performance Chip $250
Rust protection coating for the body (there is no rust and I want to keep it that way)

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil every 3,000 now

What do you think?  Advice?  Any product listed I should stay away from?

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump for revisions
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to 5K on oil changes. Seriously, 3 K is way to low mileage wise.

Go Bilsteins on shocks/struts, forget skyjacker.

Keep stock intake, it works fine.

Forget chips, waste of money.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
No to all of that crap. Do you have a turbo? Why would your timing chain need replaced at 150k? Skyjacker are garbage, get some Bilstein 5100s, unless you want to spend big bucks on high end shocks. You should be at 5-10k oil changes with M1.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
my 2002 GC Laredo needed O2 sensors at about that age

keep it stock and replace broken things, don't upgrade it
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm looking for more power out of it too.  That's the reasons for some of the upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

keep it stock and replace broken things, don't upgrade it
View Quote

Huge +1
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm looking for more power out of it too.  That's the reasons for some of the upgrades.
View Quote
Regear or forced induction. Anything else will either just make more noise, or maybe give a little extra on the top end and cost you on low end torque, which is what you notice and use all the time.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#8]
keep the engine stock. regear if you want more oomph.

skip the exhaust. Get an axle back if you want a different sound, or just a muffler. Not worth the money imo

Do you know the service history on the rest of the vehicle fluids? If not, put money and time aside to change all the fluids, especially if you're keeping it for the duration

What "rust protection coating" are you going to use? If you're talking about the body, just wash and wax and you'll be fine, unless you have chipping / other concerning spots.

Basically what I'm saying is forget all the things you have on your list, as they seem like pointless spending. Take the money and get the jeep regeared, a good lift, and good wheels and tires, and you'll be happier
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#9]
None of that is worth a damn.

Get the routine maintenance done, and do what the other guy said -- either add a blower or turbo, or re-gear. Everything else is pissing money away. You're not working with an engine that has much, if any, overhead for performance modifications from bolt-ons.

Shit, I'm slipping.

LS SWAP THAT BITCH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top