Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 11:46:42 AM EDT
Just noticed that my left shock on my 06 Honda crf450r has decided to leak on me. How hard is it to replace the seals? Do I only need the seal, dust seal, and oil to do the job? ( i have access to the 47mm seal)  driver).  Any help is much appreciated
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you out, but I did want to come in here tell you your username is hilarious!!!!  I saw it in the main page and had to offer my

TIMMAW!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Just my 2 cents... if you have it apart, replace it all. And do both sides at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it leaking because the elastomeric seal failed or are the sliding metal surfaces scratched?  If the latter, new seals will die an early death.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You will need to disassemble the forks.  Not hard but time consuming for a novice.  Do both sides.  Fork oil will need replaced.  Get a shop manual.  Try to find seal kit that uses "SKF" brand seals.  They outlast others 2:1
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
There's some good videos on youtube.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have basic mechanical knowledge? Can you tear down your bike? Do you have a decent set of tools including the correct seal driver?

If so, have at it. A pretty simple job overall.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just noticed that my left shock on my 06 Honda crf450r has decided to leak on me. How hard is it to replace the seals? Do I only need the seal, dust seal, and oil to do the job? ( i have access to the 47mm seal)  driver).  Any help is much appreciated
View Quote

Try that plastic scraper cleany thingy first. You might just have dirt in there.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/989/25537/Motion-Pro-Seal-Mate-Fork-Seal-Cleaner

My Kaw was doing the same thing. I just told the old girl to stop it and ran that thing up her skirt a few times.

Seems to have stopped it.  Either that or it's dry.

here's another version.

http://www.chronicmx.com/motocross-product-review-seal-doctor-fixes-leaky-fork-seals-in-minutes/

http://rhinomx.com/products/seal-doctor/
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Like others have said. On those bikes the job is pretty straight forward if you have the correct tools. I would probably order new slider bushings as well if it's been ridden decently hard. It sucks to get the forks apart and realize the bushings are wasted and have to wait to order them.

Also, check you pm's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it leaking because the elastomeric seal failed or are the sliding metal surfaces scratched?  If the latter, new seals will die an early death.
View Quote

sliding surfaces look to good, It appears to have happened when I was trailering it to the dunes and forgot to stick a block between the tire and fork.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help! pretty simple job overall, bushings still had a decent amount of copper on them but I will change them out next season. Took me an hour on both shocks so overall pretty easy
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help! pretty simple job overall, bushings still had a decent amount of copper on them but I will change them out next season. Took me an hour on both shocks so overall pretty easy
View Quote

Shocks?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Shocks?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shocks?  

Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to bikes. I only recently switched from race quads to bikes. In my defense though forks are technically shocks
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]
forks seals are pretty easy to do, a little bit of a messy job but not terribly difficult. and if you're gonna do one fork arm you may as well do both since you have to take the front end apart anyway.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I've rebuilt the exact same forks twice.  It took me a good hour or two the first time, taking my time.  The second time I did it in my driveway in about 30 minutes, just seals and new fluid.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Super easy job to do. It's intimidating for some the first time, and messy, but it really isn't that bad. You can make a ghetto seal driver out of PVC pipe and some U bolts, but spend the money and buy the correct size one for your bike
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sorry, I'm a newb when it comes to bikes. I only recently switched from race quads to bikes. In my defense though forks are technically shocks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shocks?  

Oh, you're a quadtard. You're excused.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top