Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2015 10:30:59 PM EDT
Been driving various f350 diesels for the last 15 years or so. Want to get a car for a 8 mile commute . Kinda narrowed it to these 2 cars. Want the V8 in either. Test drove both and love them. Hard to decide on which one. Suppose the 300s is more practical. Would be new 2014-15 cars. Anyone have experience or thoughts on these?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Mustang
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a Mustang GT, with a 6 spd. Leave the 300 for the McDonald's 365 crowd.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The 300s is uncomfortable and the styling inside the Mustang seems very 90s.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Wat.

Nothing about any of the 11+ Mustangs seems 90s to me. Especially the 15s.

That being said, I had a 96, 99, and 2000 Mustang so I know exactly what their 90s interior was like.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wat.

That being said, I had a 96, 99, and 2000 Mustang so I know exactly what their 90s interior was like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat.

Well, I don't know what it looks like compared to a 90s Mustang, but it has a 90s feel to it.

I was just car shopping last weekend, and Mustangs were among what I looked at. I didn't care for them. They seem dated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I really liked the mustang but the lack if a usable back seat killed it for me. Around my area 300s all have ghetto rims on them so that was a no go for me. I went with a Cadillac ATS.

Have you considered a Challanger?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Buick makes an extremely nice car, too, if you like roomy sedans.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Challenger is not out of the question
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, I don't know what it looks like compared to a 90s Mustang, but it has a 90s feel to it.

I was just car shopping last weekend, and Mustangs were among what I looked at. I didn't care for them. They seem dated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat.

THIS looks like a 90's interior to you?

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#10]
300 has a horrible image where I live. I wouldn't buy one just because of that, unless you went SRT8.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat.

THIS looks like a 90's interior to you?

Way to many buttons and gimmicks.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/coupes/1312_2015_ford_mustang_first_look/57910574/2015-ford-mustang-interior.jpg

http://img.netcarshow.com/Ford-Mustang_GT_2015_1600x1200_wallpaper_73.jpg

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Dodge Challenger for the win.

yes I'm biased...  

RW3
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#13]
OP; what is it about the Mustang and 300 that 'narrowed you down'?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Challenger is not out of the question
View Quote

The R/T Scat Pack package is a sweet go-fast bargain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
300 has a horrible image where I live. I wouldn't buy one just because of that, unless you went SRT8.
View Quote

Yeahhh, a lot of wanna be pimps and hoodrats driving leased 300's with rented 24's around here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't have much love for the Mustang, the 300C's Hemi feels way better than the late Mods, and Mustangs always feel like you're driving a bus with the suspension setup they have.  My parents have an '06 300C and aside from needing nickels and dimes, it hasn't had any major problems.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeahhh, a lot of wanna be pimps and hoodrats driving leased 300's with rented 24's around here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Want to get stopped all the time? Go ahead and buy a slum-lord Bentley.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't have much love for the Mustang, the 300C's Hemi feels way better than the late Mods, and Mustangs always feel like you're driving a bus with the suspension setup they have.  My parents have an '06 300C and aside from needing nickels and dimes, it hasn't had any major problems.
View Quote

I highly doubt you've driven a current model mustang.

Regarding the HEMI, yes, it does have a solid low-end torque, but I think the Coyote is the better motor by far, and my current vehicle has a HEMI.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

'15' Mustang has IRS. 11+ Coyote motor stomps the shit out of a 300 like no tomorrow. Coyote is a 435 hp 7K rpm screamer from the factory. With a tune and intake, you can get that up to 8K rpm.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

What was the last Mustang you drove, a 93 Fox? The 11+ GT is just as fast as an M3 around the track. Though still an SRA, it's a very refined setup. 15+ is phenomenal so far.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What was the last Mustang you drove, a 93 Fox? The 11+ GT is just as fast as an M3 around the track. Though still an SRA, it's a very refined setup. 15+ is phenomenal so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lap times don't mean everything. My 370Z pulled great numbers on the skidpad, turned very good lap-times for the power/weight ratio, and had very nice slalom numbers.

But the suspension sucked.

Mid-corner bumps made it dance.
It had zero rebound control.
It felt "rubbery" when you fed it transitions too quickly.

In short, it checked all the "magazine racer" boxes...but flat-out sucked in my book compared to other sports cars I've owned or driven.

So just because the 11+ GT was equal to an M3 in one instrumented situation on perfect pavement with skilled drivers...does NOT mean that it doesn't feel bad on the street. I personally drove some of the '05's, which were not near as nice as the 11+, and I found them to be pretty decent. That said, I'm simply commenting that paper-numbers are meaningless.

I really think Ford has a home-run with this new mustang, though. Really nice cars in every respect.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

'15' Mustang has IRS. 11+ Coyote motor stomps the shit out of a 300 like no tomorrow. Coyote is a 435 hp 7K rpm screamer from the factory. With a tune and intake, you can get that up to 8K rpm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he's looking for a '15, sure. I'd pick Mustang.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Regarding the HEMI, yes, it does have a solid low-end torque, but I think the Coyote is the better motor by far, and my current vehicle has a HEMI.

Latest I've driven is a '12.  The Coyote feels great, but hard cornering was an "oh shit" moment. Did it stick? Yeah, it did, but it was terrifying as fuck to make it do that. It is not a confidence inspiring vehicle in the twisties.

Hopefully the updated suspension fixes that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Latest I've driven is a '12.  The Coyote feels great, but hard cornering was an "oh shit" moment. Did it stick? Yeah, it did, but it was terrifying as fuck to make it do that. It is not a confidence inspiring vehicle in the twisties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yes, trust me, it did.  Every time I drive mine the first thing that comes to mind is, "This is a Ford?"  Of course I'm used to old Fords.  No experience with anything newer than a '95 before I got my '15.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh yes, trust me, it did.  Every time I drive mine the first thing that comes to mind is, "This is a Ford?"  Of course I'm used to old Fords.  No experience with anything newer than a '95 before I got my '15.
View Quote

I want one so bad. Can't afford it on my college budget though - I have to stick with my 06

I made the mistake of test driving a 15 GT with the track pack. The itch hasn't stopped in the last 2 months.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Looks sweet Man! Is that 'camel' interior?
View All Quotes

Saddle.   My camera is kind of crappy and doesn't do colors all that well

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Mustang, for sure.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP; what is it about the Mustang and 300 that 'narrowed you down'?
View Quote

I'm not totally stuck on these two. I rented the 300 on a vacation and test drove the mustang. Really liked both. Don't have a lot of experience with cars having drove mostly trucks my life. Do have a 76 vette in the barn I need to fix up but that's not happening soon. It was a fun car when I was in college but I need something more reliable now for a daily driver. 40k is about the most I want to spend now on a car I don't really need, hell, could keep driving the truck.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Go drive a Buick, man! They're really nice cars!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think OP is 70 yet.

Quoted:

I want one so bad. Can't afford it on my college budget though - I have to stick with my 06

I made the mistake of test driving a 15 GT with the track pack. The itch hasn't stopped in the last 2 months.

Performance Pack (Track Pack was what they called it in previous years) is kind of a retarded setup for a daily driver if you go on trips.  No spare tire available to clear the brakes. If they had a spare to fit it, my payments would be higher right now
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#32]
1) Obama drove a Chrysler 300 before he was elected.
2) It's a Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sweet, glad to hear it! Now maybe you 'stang guys can keep up once the road curves.

I should go find one to drive ...

Quoted:

Obama loves F-150's, which is the other set of balls that this board gargles, besides Tacomas.

Using politics to guide a vehicle purchase is asinine at best.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sweet, glad to hear it! Now maybe you 'stang guys can keep up once the road curves.

Obama loves F-150's, which is the other set of balls that this board gargles, besides Tacomas.

http://www.vosizneias.com/assets/uploads/news_photos/thumbnails/800_amrvbskxlogov62nkinfamdzekmndqzm.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.vosizneias.com/assets/uploads/news_photos/thumbnails/800_amrvbskxlogov62nkinfamdzekmndqzm.jpg

Oh really?

Where's the 40+ page thread of "pictures of fords" in this forum?

I can't believe there a thread like that btw, to me that's like finding a 40+ page thread of toaster ovens.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Oh really?

I can't believe there a thread like that btw, to me that's like finding a 40+ page thread of toaster ovens.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh really?

Point taken, there's no 40+ tacked thread of Fords, but you'd have to be purposely blind if you're ignoring the F150, especially EcoBoost, love that goes on in GD.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah! I meant saddle, don't know why I typed 'camel'. I got the same interior on my 11.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Well without reading all the other posts, My personal choice would be the 300S. Mustangs are fast and what not, But they are "ME TOO" cars in my opinion. Go to a cruise and there's at least a dozen with the same mods color rims etc. They just seem too common like a bunch of sheep in a field. The 300S is neat due to being a sporty sedan that has balls and room. Form car shopping seems the 300's seem to hold their value pretty well.

Now I'm not bashing the Mustangs, its just every kid and their grand father has one. Mustangs are fast, handle better etc. but in reality how often will it see the performance use vs daily use?

Want to have a bit of both worlds....Audi S5 or S4 depending on the number of doors you want.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well without reading all the other posts, My personal choice would be the 300S. Mustangs are fast and what not, But they are "ME TOO" cars in my opinion. Go to a cruise and there's at least a dozen with the same mods color rims etc. They just seem too common like a bunch of sheep in a field. The 300S is neat due to being a sporty sedan that has balls and room. Form car shopping seems the 300's seem to hold their value pretty well.

Now I'm not bashing the Mustangs, its just every kid and their grand father has one. Mustangs are fast, handle better etc. but in reality how often will it see the performance use vs daily use?

Want to have a bit of both worlds....Audi S5 or S4 depending on the number of doors you want.
View Quote

Want to see lots of 300's?  Go hang out in the 'hood! .  Actually, how many '15's have you seen yet?  As far as Mustangs, keep your eyes open for anything and you will start to notice them more.  Just watch for Tahoes. All of a sudden you realize what's out there.
And if you think a Mustang is a "Me Too" kind of car, you just don't get it.  I'm sure there is that aspect in any car crowd, but I haven't put a car in a show to "fit in" in over 30 years. This coming May, I'm putting my '66 in one due to pressure from my kids.
Everyday use of the performance?  All the damned time I'm behind the wheel!  It's not like you have to do a burn out at every green light, but hitting the entrance ramp onto the interstate sure is fun now
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Went to the car show last night, guess how many flat bills were in line to sit in the new 300...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I hear ya. I have a 2014 convertible GT. I looked at the price for a 2015 convertible GT....  A little too much for me.  It's almost a $8,000 increase from mine when it was purchased new.

So I'm just adding a supercharger. I may be a little jealous when I line up against one. But, I'm guessing I will be faster
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top