Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2015 6:11:54 AM EDT
Anybody have any experience with the new Audi q3?  Wife is thinking about getting one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody have any experience with the new Audi q3?  Wife is thinking about getting one.
View Quote

Why?

These mini luxury suv's are pointless.  You would be better off with something like a Mazda CX-5 or Honda CR-V.  Cheaper to buy, more fuel efficient, higher resale values (lower depreciation) and more reliable/less expensive to maintain.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think that they are pointless. At least no moreso than is buying say an A4 over an Accord or Mazda6. You are getting a more refined, better equipped, better driving vehicle. Whether that is worth the additional cost or not is very subjective. Otherwise I would agree that you should cross shop the segment.

We recently cross shopped the Q3. We really liked it, but ultimately decided that a Toyota RAV4 AWD Limited with the Tech package was a better fit and value for our needs (wife's daily driver, expected to last 10 years/200,000 miles). The Q3 was undeniably a nicer vehicle, but the long term reliability of the Audi was my biggest concern. If buying an Audi, I would want a CPO for the longer warranty and the Q3, at least as of a few months ago, was still too new to find CPO units.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its a douchemobile for white Obama voters in places like Boston, D.C. and the like. Get a real car, avoid the airs of being a douche and enjoy cheaper parts & maintenance, and greater reliability.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its a douchemobile for white Obama voters in places like Boston, D.C. and the like. Get a real car, avoid the airs of being a douche and enjoy cheaper parts & maintenance, and greater reliability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is a real car?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So, what is a real car?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is a real car?

Anything whose timing chain layout doesn't resemble an overturned plate of spaghetti:

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think that they are pointless. At least no moreso than is buying say an A4 over an Accord or Mazda6. You are getting a more refined, better equipped, better driving vehicle. Whether that is worth the additional cost or not is very subjective. Otherwise I would agree that you should cross shop the segment.

We recently cross shopped the Q3. We really liked it, but ultimately decided that a Toyota RAV4 AWD Limited with the Tech package was a better fit and value for our needs (wife's daily driver, expected to last 10 years/200,000 miles). The Q3 was undeniably a nicer vehicle, but the long term reliability of the Audi was my biggest concern. If buying an Audi, I would want a CPO for the longer warranty and the Q3, at least as of a few months ago, was still too new to find CPO units.
View Quote

The difference is that the A4 is part of audi's bread and butter.  The Q3, not so much.  I'm wary of these new smaller luxury suv's/sedans/coupes.  Seems like too many corners were cut
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anything whose timing chain layout doesn't resemble an overturned plate of spaghetti:

http://auditimingchainproblem.com/img/4.2enginepics_gallery/Audi_4.2_engine_timing_chain_audi_S4_timing_chain_replacement_2.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, what is a real car?

http://auditimingchainproblem.com/img/4.2enginepics_gallery/Audi_4.2_engine_timing_chain_audi_S4_timing_chain_replacement_2.JPG

Please just stop.  You have no idea what engine is even in that vehicle do you?  Let me just clarify, not the 4.2.  

OP, the 2.0L has been a very solid replacement for the 1.8.  It has had significantly less reliablity problems, makes better power and has slightly better (not a whole lot) fuel economy in real world.  The chassis I have less knowledge of since I haven't worked on that one yet but the all wheel drive systems in the Audi's are pretty well done.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Please just stop.  You have no idea what engine is even in that vehicle do you?  Let me just clarify, not the 4.2.  

OP, the 2.0L has been a very solid replacement for the 1.8.  It has had significantly less reliablity problems, makes better power and has slightly better (not a whole lot) fuel economy in real world.  The chassis I have less knowledge of since I haven't worked on that one yet but the all wheel drive systems in the Audi's are pretty well done.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what is a real car?

I never said that motor is in the Q3. Everything in an Audi is more expensive and complex than in an Acura, Lexus, GM, or Ford. Audi drivers typically dont know shit about their cars and wouldnt be caught turning a wrench on them - thats why they pay guys like you to do it, who happily charge them $100+ an hour. Of course you like Audis.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I never said that motor is in the Q3. Everything in an Audi is more expensive and complex than in an Acura, Lexus, GM, or Ford. Audi drivers typically dont know shit about their cars and wouldnt be caught turning a wrench on them - thats why they pay guys like you to do it, who happily charge them $100+ an hour. Of course you like Audis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By SFENDER

So, what is a real car?

If you think any modern vehicle isn't as complex in its own right you are sadly mistaken.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top