Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 4:31:49 PM EDT
So I'm looking at one on autotrader its a 06 with 118,000 said hes had the 100,000 mile checkup done.  I don't know anything about these jeep diesels are they good or not? its got a chip in it for fuel mileage which he claims 21 city 32 hwy.  any inputs appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Only thing I remember reading about those was the locking torque converter was an issue. Not sure if jeep ever fixed it or not. I'd check with someone like suncoast converters and see what they say about it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
dont do it.  parts are difficult to find when you need them and there are very few technicians that actually know how to work on them.  If you like to work on your own vehicles youll need special tools (expensive and difficult to find). check out LOSTJEEPS forum there is a section dedicated to CRD Libertys.

100k check up?  should have had the timing belt and water pump replaced.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was researching them, it seemed that they liked to eat water pumps.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
EGR systems absolutely fuck that intake up inside.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Former coworker of mine had one and threw a rod through the side of the block at 10x,xxx miles

And he was an ase master diesel mechanic who took care of his shit

Until then, he had nothing good to say about how the engine and the trans worked together
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Run. Run fast and run far.

Bought one new for the wife in 2006; first and last Chrysler I'm ever going to buy.

Quality issues out the ass; EGR system (grafted on to make the tree huggers at the EPA happy) is an abortion. Trans is shit and they will fail. Same story about the torque convertor.

How the company that made the famed 727 Torqueflight made that piece of shit, I have no idea.

Happiest day in my ownership was when I sold it.

TR
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Run,  Don't walk. A fellow HTF member bought one new and it made it 5k before it suffered from a catastrophic crank failure that left a large window into the motor.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#8]
A buddy of mine had one from 75k-110k. It was great for a capable commuter vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one.  You need to go to LOSTJeeps, but in the meantime here are the issues:

1) Chrysler spec'd the wrong oil.  It's too thing and not really a good "diesel" oil.  Now add

2) Extended service intervals.  The Chrysler manual is VERY misleading - it makes one believe the oil change intervals are something like 12k.  They are really 7.5k, and even that is too long.  And...

3) the EGR system sucks hairy monkey dick.  It lets a TON of particulates into the oil.

Add those 3 together and you get a LOT of catastrophic engine failures that shouldn't happen.  Most common is that the needle bearings on the valve lifters fail, which turns the roller follower into a sliding follower, which starts wiping the camshaft.

Torque converters - Chrysler used the gas engine converter and never reprogrammed the trans controller for the diesel power curve.  Chrysler did a service campaign where they replaced the torque converter with one from a Magnum V* - and lowered the engine output by about 30 horsepower.

Thermostats - a cast aluminum monstrosity that fails under 50k and costs over $100 to replace.  Fortunately there is a $12 fix that works fine.

MAP sensor: gets crudded up from the oil blowby combined with the EGR soot.  Throws a nuisance check engine code. Clean sensor is easy, code is back in a thousand miles.  Oil separator and/or revised software will fix it.

Balance of vehicle - typical chrysler quality.

So, here's the deal. Unless you have all the service records and they show that Mobil 1 TDT or Rotella T6 was used and changed at <7,500, plan on changing the lifters.  Also plan on getting 2 tunes from Green Diesel Engineering: the engine tune which restores the horsepower Daimler Chrysler stole and disables the EGR system, and the trans tune which lowers the shift points to where they should be.  And increases mileage by about 20%.  So budget $2k - *minimum* - after the sale.

Overall I like my little buggy, but I have a lot invested in it now.  I would not do it over again unless I lucked out on an EXTREMELY good deal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bought one new for the wife in 2006; first and last Chrysler I'm ever going to buy.

Quality issues out the ass; EGR system (grafted on to make the tree huggers at the EPA happy) is an abortion. Trans is shit and they will fail. Same story about the torque convertor.

How the company that made the famed 727 Torqueflight made that piece of shit, I have no idea.

TR
View Quote

The trans itself is actually pretty good, but program it with the wrong shift points and mate it to the torque converter from the V6 gas engine and it ain't gonna last.

Daimler said "Here, put in this diesel" and Chrysler said "Ok, how much different than a gas engine could it be?"  Like the Oldsmodiesel never happened.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

I've never had a more unreliable vehicle than a Jeep

sad, because they should be a fun vehicle

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TR
View Quote

Are you sure I haven't worked with you before?

Because everything you said sounds exactly like what my co worker said about his
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
While I don't have any experience with the CRD diesel model, I have a 2002 Limited with 180,000 miles on it. The only things I've had to fix (other than normal maintenance items) was the water pump (175,000 miles) and the air condition compressor this summer. Parts for the standard Liberty (gas engine) will be a lot easier to find if/when needed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top