Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 2:03:21 PM EDT
My dad just recently bought a bunch of lakefront land in the middle of nowhere to build his retirement home on with my mom, and he is looking to get a truck to help develop the land. He is looking at getting a used truck from around 2005-2010, and it will be used for manual labor type jobs: carrying fencing parts around the property, carrying cut-down tree branches, transporting construction materials, etc etc etc. The main requirements are that it have 4WD, have 4 doors/4 seats, have a powerful V8 (not diesel) that can easily handle these kinds of tasks, and be an overall reliable/tough vehicle. It will most likely end up being a daily driver for me when it's not being used on the property, so I do have a say in what he gets. The problem is that neither of us have ever had a truck before, so we don't really know exactly what to look for. He's a car guy and I'm not, so he at least has a good idea as to what he is doing with cars. He has narrowed the choices down to a Toyota Tundra and a Ford F150, but the decision is still in the air from there. What do you guys think? Which would be a better truck for this niche? Would an F250 be a better choice, or is that overkill? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
There's really nothing wrong with either the tundra or the f150 both will do what you have in mind

But if you're buying a 4x4 to work and treat like a rented mule I can't say enough good things about a gasser f250 superduty especially in 4x4
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Drive both...Pick the one you like!   end of story....
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If solely for work just get a gas F250. You didn't say how far your daily drive is, but Tundras and F150s both get pretty bad mileage. For reliability, I'd lean toward a Tundra, but the F150s are pretty good too. Tundra was redesigned for 07 and the F150 was redesigned for 09. FWIW I have 2 Toyotas and a new F150. The Yotas have needed very little maintenance. So far I really like my Ford as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Have to go with this.

However, price it where things go sideways.  Does your dad have a limited budget?  IE, a 2007 tundra will go for what a compareable 2010 f150 will.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If solely for work just get a gas F250. You didn't say how far your daily drive is, but Tundras and F150s both get pretty bad mileage. For reliability, I'd lean toward a Tundra, but the F150s are pretty good too. Tundra was redesigned for 07 and the F150 was redesigned for 09. FWIW I have 2 Toyotas and a new F150. The Yotas have needed very little maintenance. So far I really like my Ford as well.
View Quote

It would just be driving around town. I don't know the mileage, but it isn't any more than ~15 miles on the average day. I'm used to cars that get 10-12 MPG, so as long as they aren't any worse than that, I'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Have to go with this.

However, price it where things go sideways.  Does your dad have a limited budget?  IE, a 2007 tundra will go for what a compareable 2010 f150 will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to go with this.

Price is definitely a concern. Budget is roughly $20k, give or take a few thousand, especially since this will be the 5th car for a family with 3 drivers. My neighbor just bought a nice Tundra, so I will at least be able to see that in person and drive it around a bit without having to go to a dealer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
It's been a bit but last time I looked at the Tundra's TRD offroad package I was disappointed to see it was basically a cosmetic package.  The FX4 F150 off-road package offered more in terms of useful stuff.  In addition, the XLT could be outfitted with FX4-type upgrades without the more expensive interior and tech options.  Like I said it's been a bit so things may have changed.

Don't go too old with the Tundra because they have frame rust issues.

Depending on the year of F150 you're looking at there may be cam phaser issues, 04-06 were the worst with some still affected in 09.  IIRC the spark plug problems were resolved on the latest generation 5.4L.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My dad just recently bought a bunch of lakefront land in the middle of nowhere to build his retirement home on with my mom, and he is looking to get a truck to help develop the land. He is looking at getting a used truck from around 2005-2010, and it will be used for manual labor type jobs: carrying fencing parts around the property, carrying cut-down tree branches, transporting construction materials, etc etc etc. The main requirements are that it have 4WD, have 4 doors/4 seats, have a powerful V8 (not diesel) that can easily handle these kinds of tasks, and be an overall reliable/tough vehicle. It will most likely end up being a daily driver for me when it's not being used on the property, so I do have a say in what he gets. The problem is that neither of us have ever had a truck before, so we don't really know exactly what to look for. He's a car guy and I'm not, so he at least has a good idea as to what he is doing with cars. He has narrowed the choices down to a Toyota Tundra and a Ford F150, but the decision is still in the air from there. What do you guys think? Which would be a better truck for this niche? Would an F250 be a better choice, or is that overkill? Thanks for the help.
View Quote

Pretty much, best to stick to the entry level full size pickup's.

The 2nd gen tundras will offer more power than the 2005-2010 f150's.  Fuel economy will be similar. (poor)

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't lean towards an older tundra vs an older f150.  If it were new vs new I would say tundra vs an ecoboost for guaranteed reliability.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I've always liked the Tundra. I've driven a few F150's and just like the way that the Tundra's I've driven drove better. Tundra's also seem to hold their value better, and they last forever. My uncle bought one brand new back in 2001 and hasn't had to do any work to it other than replace normal wear items (oil, tires, belts, etc.). The truck currently has 310K miles on it and counting. He still drives it everyday, and doesn't plan on replacing it anytime soon.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
try GMC
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys are missing a couple of very important requirements that combined mean f250

He's doing a lot of construction. That means he's gonna want a pretty decent sized bed. He also said that 4 doors are a must.

You can't get a 4door half ton truck with a bed any bigger than the goofy little litter box sized bed they put on .5 ton crew cab trucks.

OP find yourself a clean low mileage 5.4 f250 four door of ANY YEAR preferably with a long box (you'll thank me later) you'll then have a truck that's as well suited to the task as is possible. There's absolutely nothing a. 1/2 ton will do better for your application and will likely cost you more to do it b
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You guys are missing a couple of very important requirements that combined mean f250

He's doing a lot of construction. That means he's gonna want a pretty decent sized bed. He also said that 4 doors are a must.

You can't get a 4door half ton truck with a bed any bigger than the goofy little litter box sized bed they put on .5 ton crew cab trucks.

OP find yourself a clean low mileage 5.4 f250 four door of ANY YEAR preferably with a long box (you'll thank me later) you'll then have a truck that's as well suited to the task as is possible. There's absolutely nothing a. 1/2 ton will do better for your application and will likely cost you more to do it b
View Quote

We are planning on getting a utility trailer as well in case we need to get a bunch of mulch or rocks in only one trip (property is several miles from town). Would the 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed of the Tundras be too small? I'm new to the game, so I don't know what is considered a big/long bed. But yes, it will need to be big enough to carry a ton of stuff by itself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Ive got a 07 F150 with the 5.5 bed.  

Unless your doing long lumber or something else crazy Ive never had issue fitting things.

142K on mine and its been great.

The tundra was my second pick but they seem to be a bit more pricy especially with a full size crew cab(supercrew in ford speak)
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We are planning on getting a utility trailer as well in case we need to get a bunch of mulch or rocks in 1 trip (property is several miles from town). Would the 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed of the Tundras be too small? I'm new to the game, so I don't know what is considered a big/long bed. But yes, it will need to be big enough to carry a ton of stuff by itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are planning on getting a utility trailer as well in case we need to get a bunch of mulch or rocks in 1 trip (property is several miles from town). Would the 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed of the Tundras be too small? I'm new to the game, so I don't know what is considered a big/long bed. But yes, it will need to be big enough to carry a ton of stuff by itself.

Nothing gets older faster than having to hitch up to and drag a trailer around anytime you want to DO anything

The 5.5 bed is just short of worthless. This bed is for folks who use trucks from the back glass forward and is little more than an open area trunk

6.5 is better but still has anything full length hanging out the back requiring tie down.

Construction materials generally come in 8' sections. Long pickup beds are 8' as well, it's almost like someone planned it that way or something.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nothing gets older faster than having to hitch up to and drag a trailer around anytime you want to DO anything

The 5.5 bed is just short of worthless. This bed is for folks who use trucks from the back glass forward and is little more than an open area trunk

6.5 is better but still has anything full length hanging out the back requiring tie down.

Construction materials generally come in 8' sections. Long pickup beds are 8' as well, it's almost like someone planned it that way or something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do all F250's come with 8' beds? If not, then how common are they? Would that be something that's fairly easy to find locally?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Driving a crew cab with an 8 foot bed every day would suck. I have an f150 super crew with 5.5ft bed and it's hard enough to park. But if it wasn't for a daly driver, I'd agree and say get the big boy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do all F250's come with 8' beds? If not, then how common are they? Would that be something that's fairly easy to find locally?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is two super duty bed lengths 6.75 and. 8" with both variations being fairly common. The longer bed lengths on a half ton are extremely uncommon with crew cabs. As in if YOU didn't special order it you may never actually see one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Driving a crew cab with an 8 foot bed every day would suck. I have an f150 super crew with 5.5ft bed and it's hard enough to park. But if it wasn't for a daly driver, I'd agree and say get the big boy.
View Quote

I learned to drive on a Navigator and drove it for 5 years without any problems parking. I wouldnt imagine an F250 being vastly bigger or significantly harder to drive...would it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I learned to drive on a Navigator and drove it for 5 years without any problems parking. I wouldnt imagine an F250 being vastly bigger or significantly harder to drive...would it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. You're either accustomed to driving trucks or you're not. No you won't want to drive it somewhere where parallel parking is a must but sticking to the spaces behind the cart corrals at wal mart is hardly a life changing requirement.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good catch.

I have a 5.5 bed, and while I can get 8' lumber in there, it's overhanging off the side.  I also cannot fit an arcade cabinet without leaving the tailgate down.  This is one of the pitfalls of teh 1/2 ton crew cabs.  More than once I wished I had a normal 8' bed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it depends on where you live.  My work truck is a GM crew cab with an 8' bed, and the only time issues arise is when trying to park it in a small lot, or at a parking meter (both extremely rare for me, but have happened).  In large lots like walmart or home depot, no problems, you just can't expect to park right next to teh handicap stalls.  
My current tundra has the 5.5 bed, and even with that, it's still not something I want to park near teh entrances.  Then again, I tend to park in the wide open empty parts of parking lots, just for teh sake of door dings.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think it depends on where you live.  My work truck is a GM crew cab with an 8' bed, and the only time issues arise is when trying to park it in a small lot, or at a parking meter (both extremely rare for me, but have happened).  In large lots like walmart or home depot, no problems, you just can't expect to park right next to teh handicap stalls.  
My current tundra has the 5.5 bed, and even with that, it's still not something I want to park near teh entrances.  Then again, I tend to park in the wide open empty parts of parking lots, just for teh sake of door dings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had to parallel park. Ever. There arent even many places around town that offer parallel parking. I normally park towards the backs of parking lots anyways, so that shouldnt be a big deal. I tend to stay conscious of door dings and scrapes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Ford F250 will have a straight front axle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it will! Which is a very nice plus
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so? What benefit does that provide?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sorta goes well beyond what you have in mind but to the folks that this sort of thing matters to it has to do with ruggedness, off-road potential and customizability
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is tougher.  4x4 trucks should have straight front axles.  In my opinion even 2wd trucks should still have straight front axles..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It is tougher.  4x4 trucks should have straight front axles.  In my opinion even 2wd trucks should still have straight front axles..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like you!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Honestly I gotta agree that a gas F250 would suit him better.  A 6' Bed would be the smallest I'd want to have for an actual use truck, 8' preferable but just understand that that plus a crew cab is one really long fucking truck.  As others have said just takes some getting used to and changing some of your habits.  I park at the ends of lots because of the same reasons you listed...plus I like walking, and it's good for you.  If he and you can make do with an extended cab or regular cab his options will greatly open up and the price ranges will greatly lower.  Might be worth looking at this as more of a short term vehicle than a long term one.

a 1/2ton with a standard style utility trailer, depending on the terrain, may or may not be feasible and could be more of a pain in the ass to use than a bigger truck.  The one caveat I will put to this is if you make a pickup bed trailer, then it's a bit better (but not near as nice to look at) but you still run into the issues of towing + offroad + terrain (and I'm not thinking rock crawling here, more like muddy slopes and trees)

My $0.02 is look at a F250 or similar model truck and use it for the construction over the next few years.  Once that's done if he no longer needs the HD aspects of the truck get rid of it for a 1/2ton or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an '03 tundra with the 6.5' bed. After '06 they were redesigned to be a much larger truck.  The pre '07's are the same size as the newer Tacoma's to give you a perspective. I'm looking at a newer Tundra and will be getting one soon. That said, with the requirements of 4 doors AND that it's primarily going to be used as a working truck I think you'll be happier with a f250 and a full sized bed.  Something else to consider is the Titan. My wife has one with the large 4door cab AND an 8' bed on it. Not as well built as I'd prefer but mechanically it's sound. Might be a little cheaper to get into than the ford/Toyota.

A utility trailer is always helpful but having to use a trailer every time you need a load of lumber somewhere is gonna get old quick and a 5.5' bed will suck. Even though that's what my new tundra will likely have :(.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the advice--keep it coming! Another question: what is the difference between crew cab, extended cab, crewmax, etc?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice--keep it coming! Another question: what is the difference between crew cab, extended cab, crewmax, etc?
View Quote

big, bigger, biggest back seat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Every manufacturer calls their cabs something different. For toy as an example, their crewmax means a HUGE back seat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Extended cab long box F150's do exist. Drove an 08 4x4 5.4 around for a while. Was a tight fit with 5 big guys but doable, especially since it had suicide doors. The 5.4 was pretty whimpy though compared to the 5.3 in a Silverado, let alone the 6.0 available in the 2500hd or Vortec Max. That was pretty much why I didn't look at an F150 when I was used truck shopping. Honestly even test driving a newer one with a 5.0 in it, it left a lot to be desired. I bet the Ecoboost is great but you won't find one for $20k.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Enjoying my Tundra.  Resale value is good.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top