Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2014 6:13:31 PM EDT
I'm thinking about replacing my 2000 F150.  Looking at buying a used full size SUV.   I test drove a Tahoe and an Expedition (both 2011 models).  Liked both.  The Tahoe had a smoother ride but I think I the Expedition handled better.  Could be I'm just used to the way Fords drive.  Luckily my truck is still working fine so I can take my time looking for what I want.

I'd like to hear from those who have experience with these vehicles. I'll probably being buying used so looking at 2010-2013 models.  Possibly 4 wheel drive.  Any real reason to pick one over the other?  Any issues I should be aware of?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The Tahoe is going to get a lot better gas milage, be more reliable and have better resale value.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:34:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Tahoes seem to be the best of what GM makes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife has a 2007 (I think) Tahoe.  It's been a great vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an Expedition. I find that I like the ride although it is no where as smooth as the Tahoe.

They are both very reliable but the GM is lower cost on maintenance as there are a lot of German designed components on the Expi.

I also think the tahoe and GM in general has much better seats than Ford. I can never seem to get really comfortable in the Expi like I could in my Caddie or suburban.

Your really not going to go wrong with either one. For me its the fold down rear seats that are worth gold. I can configure from utility to people mover in 5 minutes flat without lifting any seats.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Tahoe Z71 for the win.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Not even a contest.
Tahoe
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Expedition. I find that I like the ride although it is no where as smooth as the Tahoe.

They are both very reliable but the GM is lower cost on maintenance as there are a lot of German designed components on the Expi.

I also think the tahoe and GM in general has much better seats than Ford. I can never seem to get really comfortable in the Expi like I could in my Caddie or suburban.

Your really not going to go wrong with either one. For me its the fold down rear seats that are worth gold. I can configure from utility to people mover in 5 minutes flat without lifting any seats.
View Quote

This.  It was the deciding factor in why I went Exp versus Tahoe.  It makes the vehicle so much more flexible and less hassle.  

My 07 EB 4x2 Exp has been great over $72k+ miles. 14-15 mpg  in city.  17-19 mpg on highway.  Multi-CD player has died.  Front A/C blend door intermittently stops switching.  Otherwise, zero issues other than gas, oil, wiper blades, and one set of tires.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not even a contest.
Tahoe
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  It was the deciding factor in why I went Exp versus Tahoe.  It makes the vehicle so much more flexible and less hassle.  

My 07 EB 4x2 Exp has been great over $72k+ miles. 14-15 mpg  in city.  17-19 mpg on highway.  Multi-CD player has died.  Front A/C blend door intermittently stops switching.  Otherwise, zero issues other than gas, oil, wiper blades, and one set of tires.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is usually a pretty easy fix, did you check the vacuum tubes near the firewall behind the battery?  They can be damaged during a battery change, pretty common Expy problem.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:51:16 AM EDT
[#11]
This is ARFCOM:
get both.

I own both.
Expedition is plagued with problems. Already been through an engine. Trailing arms rusted through. always a brake issue with it.

Tahoe is a dream. other than basic maintenance, the only issue I have is the gauges don't work right. Apparently a common problem. About $60 to repair if you are handy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had both, Tahoe is so much better. Like everyone has said, better ride, seats, mileage and dependability. GM 5.3 so much better and easier to work on then the Ford 5.4, which would you rather change the plugs on ? GM auto is also better then the Ford's. Gladly would give up the fold down seats for all the above.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not even a contest.
Tahoe
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Find a Tahoe with the 6.2L. You won't want to drive the underpowered Expedition after that

This coming from a Ford guy. Why Ford doesn't the 5.0 or 6.2 in the Expedition is beyond me The Expedition is a decent truck, but it's a little outdated in the drivetrain department and I honestly don't think IRS should be in any full sized SUV or Truck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll buck the trend - get an 07+ Expedition.  I've owned a 2007 and a 2010 EL.  Now, I own a 2013 EL.  We put 102k on the '07 and 94k on the '10.  The only issue we ever had with either of them is a bad MAF sensor which was replaced under warranty.  And, as far as the ride comments - I've ridden in/driven several Tahoes/Suburbans and don't understand where these comments come from.  They're very comparable in ride IMO.

The 2013 only has 15k on it but I expect great service from it as well.  We use ours to travel (with 4 kids and the dog) and to pull our 26' travel trailer (6100lbs loaded).  We've been all over the place with these (from Utah to Virginia and everywhere in between).

-The 5.4 is a great engine
-The 6r80 is a great transmission
-GM sucks BHO's balls - and that's a fact, Jack.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...Why Ford doesn't the 5.0 or 6.2 in the Expedition is beyond me The Expedition is a decent truck, but it's a little outdated in the drivetrain department and I honestly don't think IRS should be in any full sized SUV or Truck.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I had an Expedition once it was a POS at 85,000 mi. I traded it for a 04 Suburban. The Suburban was problem free for 120,000 mi. I traded it for a 09 Tahoe which ran like a champ for 150,000 mi when I sold it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife and I rented a Suburban for a road trip with the kids last Thanksgiving.  

The steering wheel is slightly to the right (inside) as you are sitting in the drivers seat.  So if you want it to be right in front of you you have to lean just slightly to the right.  Bugged the ever living piss out of me the entire time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is usually a pretty easy fix, did you check the vacuum tubes near the firewall behind the battery?  They can be damaged during a battery change, pretty common Expy problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did.  They are intact and no loss of integrity.  Wish that was the problem.  Easy fix.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top