Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2013 1:47:20 PM EDT
I have the typical round chrome Nerf bar type running boards on my truck. they have flat plastic pieces on the top where you step which are supposed to keep you from slipping, except they dont. I have nearly busted my ass numerous times over the years. They are only bad when wet/muddy/snowy.

I'm looking for a spray on or brush on product to add traction/grip. I initially though about skateboard tape but there is no way it will stick there for more than about 11secs, lol.

Anyone have any idea's or suggestions? Anyone have and fit this problem in the past? Would a roll on bed liner product stick and stay put on the plastic?

Thanks in advance

J-
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Scuff and Rhino liner
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Any decent hardware store should have rolls of grip tape in varying widths. I found some stuff used for industrial steps and

floors. It stays put very well, much better than your average skateboard tape.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't care about looks, wrap the tape around the bar (like a baseball bat or hockey stick) instead of just sticking it on the step.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Stipple it with a soldering iron.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Rustoleum spray on bedliner. While I personally would not actually use it as a bedliner (not thick enough), I have used it on faded plastics and it gives a rough, almost sandpaper texture even when wet. Tape off the rest of the nerf bars, prep the surface, and spray a few coats (I did 3-4). I would suggest not stepping on the sprayed surface for a day or two to let it fully harden.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking about the doing the same thing to mine.  I lost 3 of the 4 plastic "grip" pieces along the road somewhere over the course of the last 4-5 years.  Then tonight I ripped the entire passenger side nerf bar off plowing snow so I think my plans have changed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
You can use grip tape, you just need to prep correctly for the adhesive.

3M adhesion promoter
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stipple it with a soldering iron.
View Quote

you know, that sounds like a winning idea!

I've done the grip tape before, and it worked great, just had to reapply every so often
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
cool thanks for the info guys. Gonna look at spray on bedliner type stuff as my truck is 13 years old and I'm looking for a combo of quick, easy and cheap.

Thanks
J-
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Rustoleum spray on bedliner. While I personally would not actually use it as a bedliner (not thick enough), I have used it on faded plastics and it gives a rough, almost sandpaper texture even when wet. Tape off the rest of the nerf bars, prep the surface, and spray a few coats (I did 3-4). I would suggest not stepping on the sprayed surface for a day or two to let it fully harden.
View Quote
I have this on my DOM rock sliders on top of the bar to give the rounded surface more grip and dragging my foot across it knocks it all off in a few weeks.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have this on my DOM rock sliders on top of the bar to give the rounded surface more grip and dragging my foot across it knocks it all off in a few weeks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My rock sliders are LineX'd. I have plastics that have been sprayed with the Rustoleum bedliner from months to years. The only issue I had was when I got in a bit of a hurry putting the parts back on the truck after spraying them. I knocked a 1/8" spot off of one piece. I resprayed that area and learned to let the stuff sit for a day or two before putting the part back on. Since I did that, I have had no problems. I have heard of problems with some of the other brands of spray on bedliner, but not with the Rustoleum stuff.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
weld some expanded metal to it

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Ditch the steps all together and learn to get in and out of the truck without them?

It helps keep the fat chicks out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife almost fell out of the truck the other day after slipping on mine. I just laughed...  Probably do something about that in the spring when it's back into positive degrees...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#15]
clean the nerf bars and well and put some non skid tape on it like this:

http://www.grainger.com/product/15Y419?gclid=CKDIo7aKq7sCFYEDOgodZisAZQ&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Adhesives,%2520Sealants%2520and%2520Tape-_-Tapes-_-15Y419&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15Y419&ef_id=UmF0YwAABd642DML:20131212161520:s

i've seen cheaper stuff at walmart, home depot, lowes, etc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top