Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2013 1:44:02 AM EDT
got a great deal on a 06 Mustang after being out of the enthusiast car scene for a decade.  May be destroyed after a hit and run.

My video & pics suck.  New Galaxy Active S4 I only had for 5-6 weeks so still not familiar with camera.   Guy hits right side of my car in intersection.  Stops and then drives away once I approach his car.  Instead of fiddle f**king with camera, just wish I had focused on his lic plate instead.   But his lights are not on so the lic plate is not lit up at night.

Maybe someone can do something with the video and pics to see the plate.  The video may capture it at the beginning.   At least can someone confirm year and model of Saturn.

Lousy video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6m9vEMbgkc&feature=youtu.be

Lousy pics:

I always dreamt of having a relatively low miles car with a ton of mods.   Had Shelby visuals pkg installed with a whipple SC on top and a ton of other upgrades.   Was told it last dynoed at 495hp to the wheels.   Now it might be totaled and I will probably just get a check for a standard Mustang GT.

Didnt take pics of car post crash, was too upset to think about it.  I had the car for all of two months and finally got all the leaks and other issues accounted for...  only had 48k miles.   Here is a picture of her only a week ago:

going to go to bed, this happened less than 3 hours and my back is starting to hurt.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#1]
when his reverse lights came on i heard him scream "I"M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU"

i had no choice but to dump my magazine into the drivers seat of the car sir
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 4:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't help ID the car, but what part of AZ and any unique damage to his car to look out for?  Any description of the driver?  I got rear-ended at 19th Ave and Peoria, driver took off South and I pulled over immediately because I was driving my air-cooled VW and was imagining the damage to the engine.  To my surprise all I could find wrong at first glance was a bent rear engine cage, officer that showed up could not give any less of a shit and wouldn't write a report of ANY kind.  I even had a good samaritan pull over and give me a partial plate, plus it was an older Honda with unique paint and two brand new 1.5" wide dents in the hood from the bumper to almost the windshield.  Of course now I realize the rear torsion housing and frame horns are tweaked and the car is toast, eats through rear tires and won't align properly.

So please, let me know or even better post a description of this piece of shit in the home town forums and we can keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
It is a saturn SC2.  They were made from 91-02.  To me it looks like its a second generation one which was 97-02 but its hard to say for sure.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a saturn SC2.  They were made from 91-02.  To me it looks like its a second generation one which was 97-02 but its hard to say for sure.
View Quote

Following up on that, only the 01 & 02 models had the reverse light separate from the tail lights.  They are oval shaped and on the back bumper.

Checking out my phone this morning, I had the damn flash turned off which is why I couldn't get a decent pic.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did this take place?
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahwatukee area of Phoenix, 48th and Chandler for those familiar with the area.

I think my pictures further suffered because I started in video and then tried to take pictures, but they must have just been screen grabs as the file sizes of my pictures seem small.  Guess I didn't exit out of video first.  Galaxy S4, only had it for 5 weeks so still haven't figured out the camera.  Much less intuitive than my iphone 4s.

Always leave your camera in auto flash mode is the lesson I guess.  Funny thing with the S4, if I turn my flash to default or automatic, I get a screen icon displaying the flash sign.  If I turn it off, I get no flash indicator at all.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Sucks about the car.  If totaled out by insurance take every thi.g you can off.

Everything on that car is likely bolt on and would be an easy swap to another low mile car.  It isnt a GT500 front end so only thing unique is bumper cover and hood.

Hope your insurance does you right and takez care of you.   Your experience is why I have uninsured coverage.   My guess is some asshat without a license, much less insurance, hit you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Saturn hits mustang. Mustang destroyed,Saturn drives off.

Say wut ?
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Can the fade on the first pic be adjusted in photoshop, maike everything lighter?  Might see a plate that way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can the fade on the first pic be adjusted in photoshop, maike everything lighter?  Might see a plate that way.
View Quote

with the full size original, it might be possible.

The down sized low quality photobucket version doesn't contain enough information.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Second gen SC but I couldn't tell you if it was an sc1 or sc2.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The down sized low quality photobucket version doesn't contain enough information.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Because I tried
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I can send originals to anyone who wants to give it a try.  PM me your email.  I tried microsoft photo manager, best I could tell was that maybe a 6 was 3rd character from the end.   So pissed.  Turns out the Galaxy has on screen icons for flash default to on and auto flash as needed.  However, if flash is turned off, nothing shows up as an icon.  Idiotic.

I only had the phone for 5 weeks so I was still learning it.  I took a pic of a lottery ticket couple days ago for the office pool, pic was kinda funky but still legible without flash.  I said screw it, good enough.  I will play with the camera later...    Damn't all I needed was one good flash.   Now I have to shell out $750 for deductible.

Updated the police officer handling the case that its an 01 or 02 Saturn Coupe.  However, the partial plate given by a good Samaritan didn't turn any hits.   AZ has gone to flat plates without any raised letters, makes the plates much harder to read in the dark.

If car is totaled, what kind of time do I have to strip stuff off?   Car has a whipple SC and headers installed.   Lots of other stuff including suspension and a SVT rear axle with a couple thousand miles on it, but wont unbolt as easy and kinda more noticeable missing the rear axle.  Should I just buy it and lift the entire drivetrain?   Engine has 48k miles and transmission which is a TCI unit has only 26k miles.

I just don't see any S197 rollers out in the market that need a new drivetrain.  Honestly, I am so pissed to the point of defeat.  I guess I wasn't meant to have nice things, had the car for all of two months and finally got all the bugs fixed.  I had it in the shop earlier that day for a new belt and a pulley replacement.  Was going to take it for a retune soon and really enjoy the supercharger now the cool weather is here in Phoenix.   Maybe hit a dragstrip for the first time, knock it off the bucket list.  

I could do the math and make an engine swap work, but I am unsure I can put in the effort esp. as I live in an HOA and have nowhere to put the car.   Hopefully I am thinking $8k in damage and even a stock 06 GT has to be worth at least $15k.  But who knows, my $8k might be a $16k estimate to an insurance company.   The only savings grace cost wise I have is that the bumper cover and hood were not hit and those stripes are painted on.  However, if they are sloppy unloading and loading the car to my body shop, the front wheel which is flopping around could break the bumper cover.

Maybe I should sell my 2006 F-150 and buy a Raptor, at least next time I am hit by a Saturn, maybe I will be the one that can keep driving.   Too bad my car was immobilized, I would have really enjoyed reenacting the supercharger chase scene from Mad Max.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 1:15:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Havent seen damage but hopefully it can be repaired.

The sn197 do hold their value well.

I just bought a lightly modded 05(04 actually) for 11500 with 113k miles.

To get a low miles 40-50k mileage car where I am would be a 15-16k car and to have a blower would add about 2k to value.

If it is sheet metal and just a strut/control arm it might not be totaled out.

I have yanked the rear off my 95 inside of 30 minutes because coil overs dont load the control arm.   Reinstall took about 45 minutes for me due to having to bleed the brakes.    I could yank my 05 rear end really fast thx to the spring not being on the control arm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear...but you're already started since you filed a police report...start calling around to scrap yards and garages.  Start from the point of origin (accident) and work your way out.  He/she drove it from the scene but that car likely didn't make it far.  Probably an illegal, or someone without insurance or a suspended license.  Regardless, do some homework in your down time can start calling around.  Sooner or later you'll find someone who either worked on the damn thing or took it in for scrap.  Yeah there's a chance they parked it in their back yard and left it there...but most people will either fix or scrap a vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Do what these guys are saying, leave no stone unturned.
Is there a local car club?  They may be willing to keep an eye out for the perps.  Seriously doubt that LE will investigate the list of all the Saturn owners in your AO.
Bigger fish to fry and all that.  Hopefully it can be fixed, the S197 is supposed to be pretty easy to repair.

If it were me I would buy the car back from the insurance company if they total it.  You have a pretty good collection of parts, it would cost you quite a bit to replace them and you probably won't be compensated fairly by the insurance company for them.

You have a buddy that could store it for you while it gets sorted out?  Keep an eye out for a roller, try looking on copart, you might be able to find a good candidate for a transplant operation on there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top