Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2013 10:39:17 PM EDT
I am trying to decide what to do with my old truck (1950) still.  It's in need of a total rebuild.  I'm stuck between keeping it an old truck, maybe rebuilding or obtaining an original engine, and building a hot rod.

I wouldn't build a Concours vehicle.  Probably 12 volt conversion, probably go to manual disk brakes, and maybe power steering.. but not sure.

Or, go for an aftermarket suspension, like a heavy duty MII setup or used Jag.  Get a more modern motor (but probably stick with a 6) with fuel injection, add A/C, etc.

I think there's charm in having an old original-ish truck, and I'd still like to have something to haul smaller stuff from time to time that won't fit in the SUV.  But, that old stuff would keep me off the highway for sure, and I'm not sure how much the wife wants to bounce around in an old noisy truck without A/C in the summer.  I grew up into the muscle car stuff, but kind of worry too that tastes change and I'd like to keep the truck for a long time.  It's only stock once.

Certain parts for my truck are pretty hard to find, and others aren't so bad.  The original motor is going to probably cost $3500 to just rebuild a long block.  I may have found a "it might run" similar engine cheap and a T-98 to replace the non-synchro trans.  It might run forever, or it may need a rebuild too in 6 months.  Brake drums are hard to find as there's no repros, and usually when you do find them they are $200+ a piece.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's my take.

I personally prefer to modernize the safety features and aspects of older vehicles.  By that I mean gut the electrical and re-wire EVERYTHING, all that old wiring is a fire hazard IMHO.  This also gets rid of any potential issues with grounds being shoddy at best causing all sorts of weird electrical gremlins.  If you get an OEM repo or an aftermarket blades style it's up to you, doesn't really matter so long as the wires are new and run properly (I go with universal blade style kits).  

Next I'll at the very minimum install a 2 pot brake master so I can divide the front and rear brakes just because I don't want 1 leak resulting in me not being able to stop.  Preferably I'd also upgrade the front brakes to disc brakes for better stopping power.  Sure drums will do the job, but I'd rather stop sooner than crash into some asshat who pulls out in front of me.  Probably want to see what CPP has for your truck, you didn't mention make or model so I can't give any better recommendation than that.  

Since you'll have the front end torn down to do all of the above and you'll have to get an alignment you might as well do springs/shocks, ball joints, and steering linkages.  Good chance those old springs are sagging now causing a not so great ride.

After that new fluids, driveshaft carrier bearing (good chance it'll be shot too), and inspect the u-joints and clips as well as the exhaust for rust damage while you're under there.

Beyond that everything else is gravy on the cake to me.  And you don't need no damn AC if you've got vent windows and scoop vents.  Those things work great at diverting a lot of air into the cab.

Now with all of that said and done....If I were to come into posession of a 1950's Chevy stepside truck that wasn't quite worth fully restoring I'd be doing a S10 frame swap with a small static drop and a 383 stroker/5 spd combo, and I'd be putting in a classic air AC system and maybe even cruise control (even if it was just a throttle cable, old school cruise control).  Everything else though would probably remain normalish

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here's my take.

I personally prefer to modernize the safety features and aspects of older vehicles.  By that I mean gut the electrical and re-wire EVERYTHING, all that old wiring is a fire hazard IMHO.  This also gets rid of any potential issues with grounds being shoddy at best causing all sorts of weird electrical gremlins.  If you get an OEM repo or an aftermarket blades style it's up to you, doesn't really matter so long as the wires are new and run properly (I go with universal blade style kits).  

Next I'll at the very minimum install a 2 pot brake master so I can divide the front and rear brakes just because I don't want 1 leak resulting in me not being able to stop.  Preferably I'd also upgrade the front brakes to disc brakes for better stopping power.  Sure drums will do the job, but I'd rather stop sooner than crash into some asshat who pulls out in front of me.  Probably want to see what CPP has for your truck, you didn't mention make or model so I can't give any better recommendation than that.  

Since you'll have the front end torn down to do all of the above and you'll have to get an alignment you might as well do springs/shocks, ball joints, and steering linkages.  Good chance those old springs are sagging now causing a not so great ride.

After that new fluids, driveshaft carrier bearing (good chance it'll be shot too), and inspect the u-joints and clips as well as the exhaust for rust damage while you're under there.

Beyond that everything else is gravy on the cake to me.  And you don't need no damn AC if you've got vent windows and scoop vents.  Those things work great at diverting a lot of air into the cab.

Now with all of that said and done....If I were to come into posession of a 1950's Chevy stepside truck that wasn't quite worth fully restoring I'd be doing a S10 frame swap with a small static drop and a 383 stroker/5 spd combo, and I'd be putting in a classic air AC system and maybe even cruise control (even if it was just a throttle cable, old school cruise control).  Everything else though would probably remain normalish

The truck is going to get a full rebuild.  Wiring is serious business, so that will be gutted and redone with modern components.

Minimum will be a dual master, and depending on the condition of the drums likely go to 4-wheel disc.  A newer rear end with disc brakes bolts in, and there's one company that actually makes a disc brake conversion for this truck (International) that I'd probably use.  Front leafs need to be re-arched at a minimum.  Rears might be OK still.  New shocks all around, probably Bilsteins if possible.  It doesn't have modern-style ball joints really, but I think parts are available to rebuild the originals.  If the steering box is too far gone, that may be an issue.  Apparently Toyota power units are potential upgrades.

Wife was surprised to hear it didn't come with seat belts, so those will be going in.  

The truck will never likely be a daily driver.  Errands that require a truck and for fun, mostly.

ETA: will probably be installing a newer steering column (not a tilt column) with a collapsible shaft at least.  The steering box is in front of the axle, and has a one-piece steering shaft from horn to steering box that makes me a little nervous.  Learning about "flail chest" in our first responder certification didn't help, either.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer Restro-mods , older vehicles that look old but have modern components i.e. suspension, brakes, drive train.

Some vehicles restored, like older trucks, will drive, handle and brake like an old truck, so unless its a trailer queen or car show only, I wouldnt want to be driving some of these older vehicles around in todays world
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Pro Touring and Resto Mod with a focus on streetability. (I do most of my own work, so I don't wind up like Bob.)
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Restomods....

Like the hot rod mustangs and camaros you see on Are You Faster Than a Redneck.

Schwartz/gmachine chassis that can put 600+ hp to the ground though 315-345 wide tires

Basically just shy of a full tilt race car for the road with raw old world power.

/edit ofcourse the response directly above mine would define things differently and call my concept protouring.

I have a 95 cobra that is going towards a track day/autocross car and personally i dont mind feeling every bump or the tramlining from 275 wide front tires.   It will have some compromises for street driving, such as cam choice.   But 450-500 rwhp will make it interesting.  Waiting on last chassis mods and cage before i do the engine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the Pro Touring look is pretty cool, but generally on post-1960 stuff.  I don't generally think of pre-'60 as good candidates for that (particularly fat fendered trucks), but I am sure there are some nice ones out there.

The restomod is a good plan.  I'm not sure there's much a way to update the front end much other than installing a IFS, which I guess is whether I want the truck lowered to look like a hot rod, or kept at stock height.  I have another truck to work on someday as well, but I don't know when I'll get to it.  That one will most likely be a traditional hot rod.  The truck won't ever see track duty, and as much fun as 500+ horsepower is, that's not really what I'm going for in this build.  I can putt around town and stuff a lot around here and never hit the interstate.  Back highways are still generally 55MPH around here, which is probably about the upper end of the truck's stock comfort level.

As far as something fun to drive, I'm kind of hoping our next car will be something sporty, and maybe even something I can modify a bit.  We have one car right now in addition to my truck, and will eventually need a 3rd for daily driving.

I have spent a fair amount of time in my dad's '83 Toyota, which really probably isn't terribly far removed from what my truck was.  Similar horsepower out of its 4-cyl, no air, weak power steering, 4x4 with solid front axle and the same 4-wheel leaf springs and steering geometry as my truck.  Just got done driving it for a week visiting at home.  I don't really mind driving something like that at all, but wouldn't on the interstate.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Restomod is a good choice seeing as how you're planning on rodding another truck.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
They seem to be getting to the point that the factory restorations will be the rarities, not the rods.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It depends on the vehicle, but for what you are building, I like restomods.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Restore/modding, I like to combine the simplicity of the older engine management with high quality parts. Its always been good to me and you can always find a small project here and there when you are working on a vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer resto-mods myself, better brakes and fuel injected engines, plus using modern parts means part availability when something needs changed.  I despise drum brakes and tiny 15" wheels on older cars.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Daily driver with some rumble and squeal.

ETA: Are we talking a Chevy or a Ford? For a Chebby, you can replace the i6 with a more modern 250-292 i6 and only move one motor mount. For a Ford, you can build a stout i6, but it's cheaper to drop in a crate 302 with a c4 or toploader.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I prefer resto-mods myself, better brakes and fuel injected engines, plus using modern parts means part availability when something needs changed.  I despise drum brakes and tiny 15" wheels on older cars.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

OBDII sure does make troubleshooting a lot easier.  I'd love to, in the future once I figure out all the electronics and what not, do a body swap of an older truck or car onto a newer chassis.

Quoted:

Daily driver with some rumble and squeal.

LOL that's a great discription.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll be the odd man out.

I would restore it as i like the old trucks the way they were look wise and engine wise.

Brakes and safety equipment get upgraded though.

Dad has an old apache that he wants to get going again but keep stock.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#15]
IH? man that is screaming for a PowerStroke...

PS engine, late model trans, upgrade brakes and steering, nice seats and A/C.  Stacks if its a stepside bed.

JMHO.

Ops
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#16]
It's an IH? Find a motor from a Scout.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Restomod/pro-touring...

I want to DRIVE my car, not let it sit at the local burger joint with a fake kid doll tucked in the grill, and a lawn chair next to it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I like hot rods. Stock vehicles are just that.....stock and boring
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I've built two hot-rods. A pretty bad ass '66 Ford Fairlane GT ( Totaled by a drunk off duty cop at 7:30 in the morning!)

And a '67 fastback mustang that was in Grassrootsmotorsports magazine. It was a little tweaked!

I really want to do a 1961-3 Ford F100 Unibody truck. to tell you the truth I want it restored not kinda restored, not semi restored but with a modern motor. I want dead nuts factory

I would also like to have another '66 GT restored looking. I'll take a modern 6 speed tremec and have a 4speed knob on it and instead of the 390 hell I'll take a 427 block with a 428 crank. But I want it to look like a restored 390 motor just with 450 ci
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm sort of in the restoromod category, but adding power and flair.  Not all rodded out, but a clean truck with some balls (and modern components to make it safe)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heck yeah.  304/345 cylinder heads can be improved dramatically.  Headers/intakes are very rare though.  Torque monsters in factory trim, there is a lot of potential.  Mopar drivetrains, so parts are plentiful
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Restomods over stock any day.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#23]
If something is stock and numbers matching/original I prefer not to mess with it.

But if its a roller I choose to update the drive train and suspension.

My nothing special 69 camaro will soon be getting a 4bt Cummins swap just because I can. Restomod with a diesel just sounds fun to me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Family pass down vehicle that grandpa owned? Rebuild/restore as original as possible.

Old pickup you bought to look awesome? restohotmod
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Heck yeah.  304/345 cylinder heads can be improved dramatically.  Headers/intakes are very rare though.  Torque monsters in factory trim, there is a lot of potential.  Mopar drivetrains, so parts are plentiful
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the love of all that is holy, please do not a small-block Chevy in it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i vote 7.3 PSD.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#27]
It's funny I guess, because if this were a car, it would be a SUPER easy choice for me.  I would put a new motor in it and flog the crap out of it.  I used to have a 3rd Gen Camaro (IROC ) that as a dumb kid I would get into all kinds of trouble with.  I swore I'd never own another one, but recently I had the thought of getting another cheap one as a beater, drop a 6.0L LS-series motor in it, and beat the piss out of it for nostalgia's sake.    I have no qualms whatsoever about modernizing every inch of an old pony, sports, or muscle car (unless it was really rare).

For some reason, old trucks are just different.  If I had my drothers and knew we could swing it, I would keep the truck pretty stock with safety upgrades and get a hot rod/sports car for the daily driver.  I like the old trucks for what they were, and part of me wants to rebuild the old truck.  Install modern wiring, seat belts, and disc brakes and call it a day.  i guess I just need more patience.  There's quite a bit of critical fabrication involved in a heavy duty front IFS and shortening a box/frame for this truck for a "proper" hot rood look, that kind of concerns me.

I guess I need to start tearing down my truck's drivetrain, and that might dictate a lot of it.  At the end of the day, it's still a 60+ year old body structure, and even with modern suspension wouldn't handle like a car or have the same crashworthiness.  I see the opportunity to own a V8 again, and it has been calling.

ETA: It's actually pretty easy to install fuel injection and a turbo to an original inline International motor.  Still probably not V8 power, but pretty easy and adds to the cool factor (at least the turbo).
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

ETA: It's actually pretty easy to install fuel injection and a turbo to an original inline International motor.  Still probably not V8 power, but pretty easy and adds to the cool factor (at least the turbo).
View Quote

Do it.

Inline sixes are cool even without the turbo, because they are workhorses and NOT the typical SBC/LS mod that you see 10 of at the show. IMO going to the show is like flipping through a magazine with the same airbrushed blonde model in every ad; sure she's hot, but after seeing her dozens of times, she's is just average.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top