Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2013 9:40:58 AM EDT
I want to buy a used truck this fall. 3/4 or 1 ton (maybe a small mason dump)

Looking at 94-97 Fords.

Also 94-98 Dodges.

Is there any good states or dealers to look for that you know of?

Most stuff up here is rusted/rotted from salt and nicer trucks command a premium.

Lots of folks here go to Jersey to buy cars because they are better priced than CT.

What states are good to look at for minimal rust...Texas? I've been looking at each states craigslist and it's just very time consuming. Also Ebay prices are high.

Just curious if you have any advice. Looking to spend about 6k and keep it under 150k miles. I like extended cab 4x4. But not really picky on color or features.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
While the engines might have plenty left, youre probably gonna be replacing alot of steering/suspension.  Stuff that gets chewed up faster under the weight of the engine.  I hate seeing someone pay for a 100k+ diesel because 'its just getting broken in" then put $2000 into the front end/wear items.

just food for thought
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah,

Can't afford much though, just starting out only 22 years old.

ETA: main reason for buying would be to pull a chipper and a dump trailer.

Unless I find a decent mason dump.

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For craigslist try using www.searchtempest.com

That's what I used to find my 96 Dodge 4x4 5 speed. 2 years ago. it had 75Kish on it and was in exellent overall condition including being stored indoors.
It was in Montana so I flew in and drove it home. I paid 13K.

A few weeks afterward I spent a bit over a grand on a new 3rd gen Track bar/conversion kit, Steering stabilizer, U-joint.

This was on a vehicle that was used to tow an RV during the summer months by a retired couple.

I wouldn't worry so much about what state but more about how it was used.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I do use that sometimes.

Only reason I asked here was someone on lawnsite said diesel trucks are a dime a dozen in TX

and he see them go for lower costs than here.

Don't mind replacing some parts if I can make up for it with a good deal.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3615922143.html

Above link is exactly what I'm looking for, good price too. Bad timing for me though .

Usually that would be priced 10k or more around here .

Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking to spend about 6k and keep it under 150k miles. I like extended cab 4x4. But not really picky on color or features.

Find a time machine. That's about your only option. Prices aren't going to vary that much regionally. You might find something a couple thousand cheaper in another state, but you won't find a 150k mile truck for $6k. The EPA has pushed a lot of new regulations in the diesel pickup market, and new trucks are $60k today. That has caused the used market to see huge demand for trucks and prices to stay high. You can buy a new diesel full of new emissions equipment for $60k, or you can buy a used model that's exempt. Most people have chosen to buy used.

For $6k, you're probably looking at something that's 20+ years old and 300k+ miles. Around here, even a 10 year old diesel with 150K miles is going to be $10k+, regardless of make/model/options. Late 80's Cummins will usually sell for $5k-6k, but most of them are 200k+ miles.

ETA: The Dodge you posted would probably sell for $8k-10k in most parts of the country. I would guess the one in the ad either has something wrong with it, or it will be gone within a few hours.

How much does your chipper and/or dump trailer weigh? A 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine will generally pull the same weight, just with less fuel efficiency. But you'll save $5k+ and unless you're towing on a daily basis, the fuel cost won't outweigh the savings.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
That was a good deal yeah. There are plenty of good deals out there. But mainly on Ford 7.3l trucks.

I'll just keep looking and saving. I'm on my second Dodge now and pretty sure I want another.

Just don't want another gasser.

Will want the diesel to pull around a bobcat etc.

Not interested in another gas truck. I have a Chevy 3500 with a 454 that I hate, it's a POS.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]
It does vary by region...somewhat

96 F250 4x4 Powerstroke 212k

2003 F250 6.0

2005 F250 Crew Cab 6.0

1999 F250 7.3 150k miles

And there are many more like these

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely seeing the 1999-2003 Fords cheaper outside CT.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Search everyday and often have that 6k or whatever in cash with you at the house so you can jump on something. Guy at work was looking for a diesel and caught a 1999 dodge 2500 ext cab loaded auto loaded for 5k 10 minutes after it was posted on craigslist. He was the first caller out of about 10 before he got to it 1 hour later cash in hand.

So be ready to buy it quick.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

with a 6.0?

There's a reason.  You are going to have to dump another $2k into the motor to keep it from burning itself up
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

with a 6.0?

There's a reason.  You are going to have to dump another $2k into the motor to keep it from burning itself up

Not necessarily. Yes, there were turds. I also know a lot of folks who have had zero issues with them. Odds are, once they get to 150k miles, they are probably OK.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#12]
nope 7.3l in 1999-2003. mid 2003 6.0 was out I believe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top