Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2013 8:47:58 AM EDT
1997 Toyota 4runner Limited 4wd.  3.4L v-6.  167k miles.  Maintained by Toyota dealership and timing belt/pump replaced at 100k mikes, new tires 10k ago.  Excellent condition.  I've read nothing but glowing reviews.

The guy is asking $4900.  Let's hear from you Toyota guys.

ETA engine spec.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
VERY carefully check the frame for rust holes. Around the back half and above the axle is where you need to inspect very carefully. If you have to, take a small hammer and lightly tap, any dead areas need to be inspected for holes or rusted to the point holing is right around the corner. Also check the last foot or so of frame carefully. I have seen some nice bodies on some horrible frames, especially in Michigan. What engine does it have in it?

A couple years ago, I was looking for A decent late 90s one for  a reasonable price, never found one that didn't have a crappy frame, even saw some that had wood wired on the frames to keep them together along with some lousy welded metal bits. Even on those, the bodies were not that bad though the rear bumpers usually showed rust damage.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#2]
2K max
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at a similar vintage land cruiser
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The 3.4 is a good engine.  I have one in my T100.  I'm probably going to have to put some injectors in because I think some of them are leaking a little sometimes after sitting for 30 mins or so causing it to be hard to start.

My truck has 174000 miles on it and it runs great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
$4900!!! That's still a 6-8000 dollar car out here in rust free AZ. I'd say if the frames still good, get it. Not much to go wrong with one of those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top