Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2012 9:25:50 AM EDT
I also inquired in GD.  Anyone have input about installing a performance chip in my 2012 4 Runner?  Will it make a difference?  Void my warranty?  Blow the thing up???

Thank you in advance
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone else can chime in but IMO it wouldn't be worth it.

If you were installing some engine mods or turbo you'd need your ECU tuned for those new mods but for a stock daily driver I fail to see the point.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not going to blow it up but it will Damn sure void your warranty.  I will tell you from experience that modding vehicles is best left when it's paid off and never while under warranty.  Take it for what it's worth a lot of folks do it but I lot feel the burn too.....
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Toyota Racing Development (TRD ) manufacturers superchargers that retain the factory warranty.

Their website hasn't been updated recently so check out your local dealer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Won't hurt your engine,  unless it's a no name ebay chip. Might not make the difference you're expecting though; they usually work better in conjunction with other mods. A good dyno tune from a reputable shop would give you  more of a difference IMO.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know if anyone is doing custom tunes on the 4-Runners (especially such a new model), but that is definitely the way to go. A custom tune will give you the most performance for the money. The canned chips tend to cost more and aren't as effective, since they're designed to be a "catch-all" tune for any vehicle.

And yes, it's worth doing, even on a stock engine. I've owned/driven a few tuned trucks, and love them. A custom tune will be the first mod to every vehicle I own from now on. It improves drive-ability, mileage and can be tailored specifically to your driving needs. You don't need a bunch of mods to see a big change in drive-ability, they can do a lot with just tweaking a factory engine.

As far as warranty, there's nothing to worry about. You can't just void an entire car warranty for modifications anymore, laws have been passed preventing that. Unless they can prove that your modification was the cause of the specific failure, they can't deny your warranty claim. They may try to pin some issues on the modified computer (like a transmission failure because the shift points have been changed), but even that's unlikely. A tune isn't going to cause any damage to the vehicle and they'll have no leg to stand on when it comes to warranty work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top