Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:06:35 PM EDT
Currently working on an older (heavy) farm tractor - the thing is really heavily dirt/greased up. Does anyone have a 'recipe' for a degreasing concoction?  I have a heavy duty power washer and have used 'store bought' spray on (can type) degreaser but looking for a 'home made' material and not worried (at least here) about environmental type hazards.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple Green - Brake Cleaner for some of the harder parts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Lowes has Formula 88 and I use it for 90% of the degreasing jobs at the garage, a good brake cleaner for the rest.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Purple Power I by it in the 1 gallon jugs
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Waldo:  Dry Ice Blasting?  Sounds airy/fairy to me but doubt that it would work out here where we live (a very rural location in a valley in southern new Mexico)).  Thanks for the suggestions - I suspect that I will be crawling around under this machine (Massey Ferguson 285 tractor) with a putty knife scraping 25 years worth of grease/dirt off the underside in addition to hydraulic leaks and baked on diesel/dirt.  It's becoming more than a part time hobby ............. plus its been over 100' for the past month - but I'm goin' to do it by God ................ turning in to a real red neck in retirement after a suit and tie working career.
What I am looking for is something that will cut/emulsify caked on crap in order to power wash the stuff off ....... store bought/can spray on will do it eventually but also looking for a 'softer easier' method.  Pressure hot steam would do it but do not have it available.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Kerosene works great, but it's messy and not good to dump all over the place. Simple Green is what I use for most tasks, and it works pretty well.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
the purple stuff works great, but I soak my parts in it overnight. literally caked on grease wipes off the next morning.

not sure how it works sprayed on.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If your parts are small enough to dunk or soak, pine-sol works awesome to clean parts like carbs and such....and environmentally friendly. I've done carbs with it.

http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums/f-15/parts-cleaning-pine-sol-54905/

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I save the old naphtha from my parts washer for things like this, or gas.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Oven Off.  Let it dry to white, pressure wash, repeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top