Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2012 11:39:29 PM EDT

Their website says they're having a 50% off sale right now on their parts. Are they better than regular junkyards?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Define "better".

I've been to a couple over the years.  Generally they are a little less expensive, how much is really anyones guess.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I went once.  Regular boneyards are better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
U-Pull-Its are like a steak to a pit bull, PICKED CLEAN. I go to walk around and hope I can find something usefull but more often than not, I dont. Still fun to kill an hour or so but its pretty rare I find parts for my truck there ('84 K5 Blazer). If I do find a K5, its picked pretty good and only a shell is left.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
U-Pull-Its are like a steak to a pit bull, PICKED CLEAN. I go to walk around and hope I can find something usefull but more often than not, I dont. Still fun to kill an hour or so but its pretty rare I find parts for my truck there ('84 K5 Blazer). If I do find a K5, its picked pretty good and only a shell is left.

I hear tell you used to be able to just walk around and find dana 60 fronts on a regular basis, but that was a long time ago I guess.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#5]
it depends on how well stocked they are, how popular your car is, and blah blah.

if your car is rare, really old(read 10 years or more) then you are not going to find much if anything for it specific to your car.

if you are looking for a common piece and you do your home work on interchange, then you can probably find a doz or so parts to pick through.

for instance a fender for an 86 iroc isn't going to happen.
chevy starter, you will trip over them.

dash pieces or trim pieces are generally pretty beat to crap. interior in general is bad as the windows are broken or down.
jerks that can't be bothered to take a part off correctly also screw up stuff you might need surounding it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it depends on how well stocked they are, how popular your car is, and blah blah.

if your car is rare, really old(read 10 years or more) then you are not going to find much if anything for it specific to your car.

if you are looking for a common piece and you do your home work on interchange, then you can probably find a doz or so parts to pick through.

for instance a fender for an 86 iroc isn't going to happen.
chevy starter, you will trip over them.

dash pieces or trim pieces are generally pretty beat to crap. interior in general is bad as the windows are broken or down.
jerks that can't be bothered to take a part off correctly also screw up stuff you might need surounding it.

I know a guy that buys his used cars based on the popularity of that car in the junkyard. Like S10s and Taurus' are very popular in the junk yard along with Ford Explorers, so he buys those types of cars and trucks. makes sense.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Typically, the "good" stuff is segregated so they can part it out themselves for top dollar.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#8]
In the yars I've been in here... You won't find much over 10 years old. By the time you need a junk yard part those cars have already been crushed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Around here we have out of work guys playing it smart. They hang out at Pull-A-Part, scavenge the new arrivals for cheap parts and Craig's List them. By the time I want something, all good stuff is gone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Love the one we have around here. Place is huge and clean, well as clean as a salvage yard can be. Every car is up on blocks and easy to work on. They have tons of carts you borrow and wheel through the yard, everything is in rows and aisles by make. They separate foreign and domestics but even go as far as put every make in one area. It's pretty awesome and the parts are pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Love the one we have around here. Place is huge and clean, well as clean as a salvage yard can be. Every car is up on blocks and easy to work on. They have tons of carts you borrow and wheel through the yard, everything is in rows and aisles by make. They separate foreign and domestics but even go as far as put every make in one area. It's pretty awesome and the parts are pretty cheap.

The yard here is the exact same as what you're describing. I usually have no problem finding what I'm looking for for my little truck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Knowing what interchanges helps a lot. Hard to find mustang parts but t-birds are easy and a lot of  chassis parts and switches swap easily.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top