Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 4:01:26 PM EDT
I don't like what I'm reading about the AW4 transmission.

Novak Conversions doesn't have anything good to say about it:  http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

Is the only other option finding one of the rare manual 5 speeds?  

I'm looking to have a pretty streetable rig that can hold it's own off road on a muddy Maine trail in the woods.  Ya know, solid front and rear axles with locking differentials and 32" tires.  This site seems to cover the bases well for what I'm looking for:  http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0207-issue/index.asp?article=finesse  A less than tough transmission doesn't fit in.  Maybe I'm being to anal, I do get obsessed with "doing things right".

Allay my fears.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't like what I'm reading about the AW4 transmission.

Novak Conversions doesn't have anything good to say about it:  http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

Is the only other option finding one of the rare manual 5 speeds?  

I'm looking to have a pretty streetable rig that can hold it's own off road on a muddy Maine trail in the woods.  Ya know, solid front and rear axles with locking differentials and 32" tires.  This site seems to cover the bases well for what I'm looking for:  http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0207-issue/index.asp?article=finesse  A less than tough transmission doesn't fit in.  Maybe I'm being to anal, I do get obsessed with "doing things right".

Allay my fears.

The aw4 is about as bulletproof a trans as have ever been used in a small suv.

If novak says otherwise its cause they want to sell you something . I wheel the pee out of my Jeep wrangler with the 5speed and if it weren't such a wiring nightmare id swap in an aw4 tomorrow. Us wrangler guys got screwed by never having the aw4 option stock

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Its made by Toyota. I have seen several of them with a tag that says that. I have owned a few of them I would not worry about the trans at all. If you buy one with some miles just figure it will need a rebuild at some point and don't cheap out when you do it.

I would worry about the piece of shit Dana 35 rear axle. So look for the 8.25 (I think is the better one)

Over all no 4x4 SUV has better aftermarket support.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Find 96-01 cherokee sport and look it over good, uncle henrys or craigslist.

I've had a handful, have a 96 and an 00 daily driver now. Hell, IM me and I'll do what i can to help you find a  good one, ive seen a couple around.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
An AW4 is a stout transmission...wouldn't think twice about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. All three of my XJ's had the AW4 and I think this is the ONE trans/engine combo Chrysler got right. The 4.0 is plenty powerful but not too much for the AW4.
My last XJ was a '95 with over 235,000 miles on the same trans running 33x10.5 tires and a slight lift and it got rode hard, they all did and they loved it. Some craigslist ads that say blown trans. I have to take a double take and think if they really know what the problem is, lol.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Aw4 was the best trans ever put in a chrysler vehicle.  That isn't saying much though.  I have it and the chrysler 8.25 rear in my 98.  I have 160k miles.  I have towed a small boat and a couple pwc every weekend in the summer.  Transmission does get hot at times but it is still chugging.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#7]
The 5-speed manuals are rare..?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. All three of my XJ's had the AW4 and I think this is the ONE trans/engine combo Chrysler got right. The 4.0 is plenty powerful but not too much for the AW4.
My last XJ was a '95 with over 235,000 miles on the same trans running 33x10.5 tires and a slight lift and it got rode hard, they all did and they loved it. Some craigslist ads that say blown trans. I have to take a double take and think if they really know what the problem is, lol.

Well that along with your avatar is a pretty good endorsement.  If it can handle 33s (I think I'd only do 32s) on a trail and go 235,000, I can't ask much more that that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe it's a regional thing?  When I go on Craigslist there are a ton of automatics in great shape in Maine, New Hampshire and Mass.  It seems like there are more than you would think for states with smaller populations.  The closest manual I could find was way down in Rhode Island!

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it's a regional thing?  When I go on Craigslist there are a ton of automatics in great shape in Maine, New Hampshire and Mass.  It seems like there are more than you would think for states with smaller populations.  The closest manual I could find was way down in Rhode Island!

I've got a 5-speed 2-door
Indiana here
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#12]
ive got a dedicated trail rig cherokee.  i know its hardly some other trail rig only builds, 4.5" lift with 33" tires.  the 4.0, aw4 and d30 with small u joint shafts and 27 spline rear 8.25 are all stock, 168k miles worth, with the exception of a welded rear and lunchbox locker in the front.  i beat the piss out of it and itll go pretty much anywhere i need it too.  there arent any mountains or rocks to climb in florida but look out sand pits, swamp muck and deep water crossings.  i wouldnt be worried about the trans one bit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:58:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that along with your avatar is a pretty good endorsement.  If it can handle 33s (I think I'd only do 32s) on a trail and go 235,000, I can't ask much more that that.

32's would be fine. 33's were a bit much and they weren't my choice, the previous owner did only a 2 inch lift and stuffed 33's on it. It was fine on the road but rubbed off road a little.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top