Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2011 11:02:06 AM EDT
My girlfriend recently mixed an orange coolant with a green coolant in her F150. She does not know the brand of either antifreeze. Will it cause overheating problems? If so, how serious of a problem is it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you know how much she put in?  You definitely don't want to mix the two but IIRC the manufacturers have said you can add up to 10% of the wrong type before it starts to gum up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My girlfriend recently mixed an orange coolant with a green coolant in her F150. She does not know the brand of either antifreeze. Will it cause overheating problems? If so, how serious of a problem is it?

I would get it flushed, some of the coolants are different chemicals and they might not like eachother! Get it flushed especially if she has no idea what kinds they were, cause there is a "all-in-one" green prestone but still dont take the chance. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to put it in terms of milk jugs, to give her a reference for size. She said she added a cup's worth of the coolant.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I had to put it in terms of milk jugs, to give her a reference for size. She said she added a cup's worth of the coolant.

You should be OK if it was only a cup.  If it were my truck I would check the bottle every couple of days for the next week just to look for signs of a bad reaction.  If nothing looks out of the ordinary just forget about it.  You should see a darkk filmy goo in the jug if it turns bad.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Simple rule: Don't put orange coolant in anything ever.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Simple rule: Don't put orange coolant in anything ever.

My GM car uses the Dexcool, which looks more red than orange. IIRC as long as all metal surfaces are coated with the Dexcool/water mixture, it will be fine. Otherwise you wouldn't see Dexcool still being used in 2011/2012 GM vehicles.

Ford  started to use a G05 style anti-freeze, which is golden yellow at first but starts to darken after a few years. The Prestone all-make/150k/5-year anti-freeze is green but is supposed to be compatible with the Ford yellow/gold.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Drain the coolant but for a different reason.  Ford had an issues with pinholes in the heads and went to Motorcraft  Gold coolant . get rid of the green and orange and use either Motorcraft Gold or Shell ELC red coolant , both do better in Fords . I work in a Ford fleet this has been an issue for years .
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Drain the coolant but for a different reason.  Ford had an issues with pinholes in the heads and went to Motorcraft  Gold coolant . get rid of the green and orange and use either Motorcraft Gold or Shell ELC red coolant , both do better in Fords . I work in a Ford fleet this has been an issue for years .

When did Ford switch over to the Gold in factory cars? My 07 has it, but my 00 and 03 both came with the 2-year green. I know the same heads and engines were used since 1991 and Ford only recently used Gold. I've heard of many more common problems on the modular engines and this is the first I've heard of pinholes. I know heater cores don't last very long in Fords.

Link Posted: 11/19/2011 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top