Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2011 6:02:10 PM EDT
I couldn't stand it any longer - I stopped in and took a look at a new 2011 f350 crew cab.  Damn near 60k but I gotta admit I was impressed.

That thing was super quiet. I didn't even realize it was remotely started. Yeah a diesel that didn't sound like it was even running. My wife was with me and that almost made her say BUY IT - That and the 4 up front cup holders!

Well - what does Arfcom say about the new Fords? Anyone have one?

I've got a Chevy 2500hd duramax crew cab right now - 2002. Nothing really wrong with it, but it's showing its age and I've got a hole burning in my pocket.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say put that money back into reconditioning your existing truck brother...I too looked and decided after my 06' F250 is paid off next summer I'm buying me a 7.3.....more motor more value..  That being said they are beautiful rigs but damn man imagine all the custom builiding your could do to that paid for Duro....Good luck and check over at Powerstroke Nation for the everything on that 6.7
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've got the money...why not?

Personally, I think they are one step away from being ugly trucks, but the performance, capability, and interior is certainly there. I'm dissapointed that Ford couldn't come up with a better looking design. That front end/grille is hideous.

BTW, the 6R140 Torqshift automatic transmission is awesome. It's amazing how far pickups have come since even the late '90s.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
That grill is one thing that turns me off on the truck.

Here's the deal - I've got the cash to buy the truck outright, but I still view it as kind of a splurge.  My current truck 2002 2500hd duramax crew cab - has low miles but has a lot of cosmetic wear.  Leather seats are starting to crack, plastic stuff just falls off (tailgate latch, door lock, various vents) etc.  I've already gone through a couple rounds of "improvements" - wheels & tires, nerf bars, intake, exhaust, quadzilla, linex, canopy, stereo, nav, ipod, backup camera....

From a practical side - the only real difference between the trucks is the comfort, quietness, and the towing capability. Towing being the one big reason for considering a new truck. I pull a couple boats around from time to time, and a LARGE toy hauler.

Another way to think about it - I could buy 30 shiny gold 1 oz discs - or I could buy a new truck.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
keep the money in your pocket.

throw a couple bones in your old rig and laugh.

after the joneing passes, you will thank us later.

guarantee!
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:
Another way to think about it - I could buy 30 shiny gold 1 oz discs - or I could buy a new truck.  

Gold is at an all-time high. What could go wrong?

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Sound deaden the interior of your current truck, buy some non-cracked seats and clean and condition them every so often.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
No way in hell I would spend that kind of coin on any ford product.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I the only one on this forum that thinks that the new Super Duties look great? It took a while for the '08 model to grow on me, but I love them now. I loved the '11 model from the get-go.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Am I the only one on this forum that thinks that the new Super Duties look great? It took a while for the '08 model to grow on me, but I love them now. I loved the '11 model from the get-go.

I think they are ugly. The front end and grille/headlights just look stupid to me.

For reference, the best looking Fords ever were the '05-'07 models, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Nice independent video.  Obviously not biased.

That said I really don't have a dog in the fight.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they are ugly. The front end and grille/headlights just look stupid to me.

As much as it pains me to say it - I agree with W-G......................................  Funny, the topics we agree on[;D

I'd probalby be looking at a used medium duty truck for towing a "really big" toyhauler - I tow a 36ft 5th wheel Patio Hauler with my '00 CTD.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
AWESOME truck. I think the styling is a home run.I want one bad. A 4x4, Diesel, Crew cab, King ranch. Im looking at $65K or so optioned how I want it. F-that. Gonna have to wait a few years till they depreciate.

I plan on sending it to timscustoms for an excursion conversion.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as it pains me to say it - I agree with W-G......................................  Funny, the topics we agree on

I'd probalby be looking at a used medium duty truck for towing a "really big" toyhauler - I tow a 36ft 5th wheel Patio Hauler with my '00 CTD.

Meh. We probably agree on quite a bit, it's those damn pesky LE threads that get in the way.

I loves me some Dodge/Cummins pickups, especially the look of the gen 2s. Beautiful rigs.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine rented a 2011 f350 diesel and we took it to Philly to pick up his Harley , about a 900 mile round trip . First everything about this truck screams BIG it juts hits your sences with massive. Massive ugly to me but thats in the eye of the beholder. The power really impressed me for a diesel on the hi way it would go 60 to 85 almost as fast as you put your foot down , it felt great . The 6 speed auto trans worked great , it really helped with the diesels narrow power band , had it up to 90 and it still had more to go. But as far as comfort on a long trip no way would I ever trade my 2002 Silverado 2500HD for this . The ride is stiff and choppy, yes I know this is a heavy duty truck , but  I think nothing of hauling 3 tons of sand , gravel , or garden lime on my Silverado with no problems . And it does so easily , with a much better ride empty. The seats were a nice  comfortable leather , I perfer cloth  and they recline so you can sleep ( cant do that in my Truck regular cab )  and that is when I stopped liking the seats , the head rest tilts your head foreward to the point  where it feels like your chin is resting on your chest. Also no way to adjust the headrest up far enuf for me to get comfortable . The stereo was great ,Tom bitched somethin about no port to plug in his  music box thing oh well I thought it was great.  I'm  a big guy 6-1 and 260 pounds and I had plenty of room driving but on the passenger side there was no where to put my feet it was like riding in my Sons Astro van . Also noted the speedometer registered 5mph faster then the radar speed trailers set up at construction sites.  It also got about 100 more miles per tank of fuel and I didn't baby it , but diesel costs more than gas.   Dont get me wrong this is a nice Truck but I would never trade my Silverado for it.  If you must have a diesel check out the new Silverado it also has a 6 speed auto, as much or more power , and is as refined as the Ford  in a better package.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Holy shit, that is possibly the most biased piece of marketing I have ever seen
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Obviously it's a Chevrolet commercial posted on their youtube channel, but just what about the test procedure or conditions was different for the trucks? Were they comparing a Ford with a 4:10 gear vs a 4:56 gear in the Chevy, did they run extra boost on the Chevy?

What exactly was unfair?

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously it's a Chevrolet commercial posted on their youtube channel, but just what about the test procedure or conditions was different for the trucks? Were they comparing a Ford with a 4:10 gear vs a 4:56 gear in the Chevy, did they run extra boost on the Chevy?

What exactly was unfair?

I would like to see WOT numbers.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I am not saying that the Chevy does not perform better.  Diesel Power ran an article on this and the Chevy was VERY impressive.

But that youtube was a Chevy hit piece.  Doesn't matter if it was true, still a hit piece.

I love me some Cummins, but if I had a heavy load to be pulling and wanted for some reason to buy a brand new truck (fuck UAW) it would be the Chevy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I have no problem whatsoever with any of the Big Three's diesel engines...but there's just something about the I-6 Cummins. My dad has three of them ('92, '93, and '94) and they are simply awesome engines in a pickup application.

(and this is coming from someone who absolutely loves his 7.3L Powerstroke)
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly was unfair?

I admit they did a pretty good job of passing off their fake test as real, until they goofed up at 3:57. Look at the Dodge truck at 3:57. It has extended/dual mirrors. The camera cuts away for a moment and goes to a different shot of the truck at 3:59.... and now it has single mirrors. Totally and completely blew their credibility.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly was unfair?

I admit they did a pretty good job of passing off their fake test as real, until they goofed up at 3:57. Look at the Dodge truck at 3:57. It has extended/dual mirrors. The camera cuts away for a moment and goes to a different shot of the truck at 3:59.... and now it has single mirrors. Totally and completely blew their credibility.

Good catch!

Check out the article posted by Diesel Power magazine.  It does back up the findings of the video and I think that they are a bit more neutral.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly was unfair?

Good catch!  

Check out the article posted by Diesel Power magazine.  It does back up the findings of the video and I think that they are a bit more neutral.

It was a good catch, however the conclusion not so much.

If there was any false information presented in the video Dodge and or Ford would have had their lawyers on it so fast we wouldn't be discussing it.

There was an editing mistake, and I'm sure GM set up the tests that would show their truck in the best light, but the clear bias here is someone who doesn't like the fact that the 2011 Chevy out ran the Super Duty or Cummins.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#24]
The father in law just bought one and it seems to be a pretty nice truck. The only thing is all of these new trucks get less than impressive fuel mileage and having to add urea to the tank doesn't appeal to me either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]

dont look past the new 6.2l gas engine. I have a 2011 f250 that I ordered and took delivery in January. I have 7600 hard miles on it. It is hooked to 12k-15klbs at least 3 days a week. Get the 4.30 gears .The truck pulls great and you dont have the 8k option of a deisel and the added exspense.

t
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What exactly was unfair?

Good catch!  

It was a good catch, however the conclusion not so much.
If there was any false information presented in the video Dodge and or Ford would have had their lawyers on it so fast we wouldn't be discussing it.

There was an editing mistake, and I'm sure GM set up the tests that would show their truck in the best light, but the clear bias here is someone who doesn't like the fact that the 2011 Chevy out ran the Super Duty or Cummins.

In all honesty, I will admit that the single most ass-puckering moment of my life was when I was actually in a nearly-identical situation as they present in the video, driving a Ford truck carrying a trailered motorcycle, but with the third vehicle coming TOWARDS me, and I severely misjudged how much time I had to make the pass. I damn near put a hole in the floor of the truck I was stomping on the accelerator so hard. Back when I was younger and a hell of a lot more stupid. I still think that goof in the video destroyed their credibility though; what other shots are faked!?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

dont look past the new 6.2l gas engine. I have a 2011 f250 that I ordered and took delivery in January. I have 7600 hard miles on it. It is hooked to 12k-15klbs at least 3 days a week. Get the 4.30 gears .The truck pulls great and you dont have the 8k option of a deisel and the added exspense.

thttp://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/bwcrisp/f250.jpg

That's a good looking truck. I love Super Duties in that config.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I drove 2012 model King Ranch and it was heaven on wheels. Tons of low end grunt and plenty of juice up top..... but....

The EPA has fucked diesel trucks SO hard since 2009.

I couldn't justify 60k on a truck, so I picked up a lightly used 2009 King Ranch and it's going right back to the dealership when I get home.

13.3 mpg on the highway, 8.5 in town.

An engine bay that is so crammed with shit that no "self sufficient" prepper could EVER justify owning because he can't work on it at all.

Example? Sure. Within the first 5 mins of my trucks official work duty, I hit the button to wash off the windshield and the tube from the reservoir pump to the sprayers burst. No biggie. I've got a bag full of tools and I'll just pull over and patch it up. WRONG. I can't even get my hand into the engine bay anywhere around the damn thing. After I got to work and looked it up I found that I'll have to pull the passenger headlight to service it.

From that point on I just had a horrible gut feeling that I'd be at the mercy of Ford service techs for the lifetime of the truck. Not to mention that in order to get decent MPG I'll have to spend 2k and risk voiding the warranty on a truck that requires the cab be pulled for nearly any major work.

It's a beautiful truck inside and out. But I don't trust it and I don't like knowing that I'm tied to the Ford Dealership for life.

I'll be picking up a 2007 Ram with the 5.9l.

Also, before you drop 60k cash on a new 6.7l you may want to peruse the various powerstoke forums and see how many trucks have taken a shit with under 5000 miles on them. And read about how many owners have been without their truck for WEEKS as parts are back ordered (turbo heat shields for example).

Fact is, that if you purchase a 6.7 you will be a beta tester for Ford. Totally new engine configuration, totally new turbo, new DPF, and the truck still pumps raw diesel on the exhaust stroke to heat the DPF and some of that fuel gets past rings and makes your truck "grow oil". The thought of a gallon ULSD in your crankcase every oil change should make any diesel owner worried. I sure don't want that shit on all my moving oiled parts.

Basically, the EPA has fucked all of us diesel owners. And unless we break the law and risk voiding our warranty we end up with truck engines that eat themselves and get horrid mileage in the name of "Climate Change".

If you want something new to play with I'd upgrade to a Duramax (the beast you know) with a LBZ engine (pre EPA bullshit) and make it your own.

You could build a hell of a rig for 60k.

I caught new truck fever hardcore last week and after it was all said and done I'm going back to a pre EPA ass rape engine that I know how to work on. It won't be the latest and greatest but I'll sleep soundly knowing I didn't get raped for 60k and if the SHTF or the economy takes another shit I can work on my truck myself.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Lots of good info here... definitely re-thinking the urge to splurge.  I hate being an early adopter for anything. I usually pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I say Splurge. I drive a 08 powerstroke. I love it. Did a DPF delete and h&s tuner and mileage was greatly improved.

The 11's get decent mileage with the DPF still on but I would still do a dpf/urea delete. Return to stock if you have a waryntee claim.........
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn!  I drove an f350 crew cab, diesel, short box today!  Very impressive. Not only was it quiet, it had lots of power.  The turning radius is impressive too! And it looked sweet!

Here's the deal - I can't seem to find a black king ranch or even lariat, short box, diesel, crew cab in my area... The rig I drove today was used as a "managers demo" with 6k miles - It was an XLT dressed up with leather, bed liner, nicer wheels and Nitto trail graplers.  It also had a blacked out grill! All for the low price of 52.5k! No way I'm paying that for a never titled new truck with 6k miles.

I found another truck in the area - a 350 lariat - but its a long bed, different grill, been lifted and has funky looking tires and rockstar wheels. Oh and they're asking 59k. It looks cool - but the tires look too small for the truck.

I'm glad I didn't bring my check book with me today!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I drove 2012 model King Ranch and it was heaven on wheels. Tons of low end grunt and plenty of juice up top..... but....

I couldn't justify 60k on a truck, so I picked up a lightly used 2009 King Ranch and it's going right back to the dealership when I get home.

An engine bay that is so crammed with shit that no "self sufficient" prepper could EVER justify owning because he can't work on it at all.

Example? Sure. Within the first 5 mins of my trucks official work duty, I hit the button to wash off the windshield and the tube from the reservoir pump to the sprayers burst. No biggie. I've got a bag full of tools and I'll just pull over and patch it up. WRONG. I can't even get my hand into the engine bay anywhere around the damn thing. After I got to work and looked it up I found that I'll have to pull the passenger headlight to service it.

From that point on I just had a horrible gut feeling that I'd be at the mercy of Ford service techs for the lifetime of the truck. Not to mention that in order to get decent MPG I'll have to spend 2k and risk voiding the warranty on a truck that requires the cab be pulled for nearly any major work.

It's a beautiful truck inside and out. But I don't trust it and I don't like knowing that I'm tied to the Ford Dealership for life.

Also, before you drop 60k cash on a new 6.7l you may want to peruse the various powerstoke forums and see how many trucks have taken a shit with under 5000 miles on them. And read about how many owners have been without their truck for WEEKS as parts are back ordered (turbo heat shields for example).

Fact is, that if you purchase a 6.7 you will be a beta tester for Ford. Totally new engine configuration, totally new turbo, new DPF, and the truck still pumps raw diesel on the exhaust stroke to heat the DPF and some of that fuel gets past rings and makes your truck "grow oil". The thought of a gallon ULSD in your crankcase every oil change should make any diesel owner worried. I sure don't want that shit on all my moving oiled parts.

Basically, the EPA has fucked all of us diesel owners. And unless we break the law and risk voiding our warranty we end up with truck engines that eat themselves and get horrid mileage in the name of "Climate Change".

If you want something new to play with I'd upgrade to a Duramax (the beast you know) with a LBZ engine (pre EPA bullshit) and make it your own.

I caught new truck fever hardcore last week and after it was all said and done I'm going back to a pre EPA ass rape engine that I know how to work on. It won't be the latest and greatest but I'll sleep soundly knowing I didn't get raped for 60k and if the SHTF or the economy takes another shit I can work on my truck myself.

YMMV.

I'm getting 10-12mpg in town and 16-17 on the highway unloaded with 4:30gears  6.2l gas.

I saved my pennins and didnt drop the rediculous amount they want for a diesel. the gas engine has the same tranny as the diesel. I figure the truckwill hold up well.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm fighting the urge this morning to go buy the truck!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

I'm getting 10-12mpg in town and 16-17 on the highway unloaded with 4:30gears  6.2l gas.

I saved my pennins and didnt drop the rediculous amount they want for a diesel. the gas engine has the same tranny as the diesel. I figure the truckwill hold up well.

Gas is great.  Until you actually have to tow something heavy.  Sure, a gas truck will tow almost anything the diesel does, but just not to happily.

Towing 15K over mountain passes - a diesel is the only option.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Bought it. Pics soon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bought it. Pics soon.

Standing by.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bought it. Pics soon.

chop chop

you know the rules

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
C'mon man!!  

Have to go to One-hour Photo?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Too dark for photos - went from the dealer - to dinner - a quick post - and off to HS football game.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:01:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Wouldn't mind pictures of the Mustang either.

68?

My uncle has a 68 428 Cobra Jet in the same Aculpulco Blue.  Original owner, ~20,000 miles.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#42]
You have a 355 Ferrari?????

Truck looks great as well!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Um, yeah, to hell w/ the new truck let see the Ferrari.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#44]

From in front of my toy storage shop!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff290/bassmanranger/IMG_0031.jpg
From in front of my toy storage shop!

Hot! Mid-engined Ferrari's are always the best looking!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's see the Benz under it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's see the Benz under it.

Phil Hill > Sterling Moss
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#48]
You have what looks to be a 4 car garage with a 4 post lift with a Ferrari on it. I DEMAND better pictures. WTF are you using a Moto Razr or something?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#49]
what can I say - I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to some things... I am using a GEN 1 Iphone for the pics.  Yes, Gen 1.

I know, I catch a lot of shit, can't text pics etc.... Oh well - I got lots of shit except for at good camera!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top