Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2011 5:21:06 AM EDT
caught my eye, anyone have good or bad things to say?
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I admit, they look neat so when I get to ripe old age I might actually consider one.

Gimme two wheels for now. No hate here, regardless. Ride on.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I rode one at a Demo Ride Day when they first were introduced. A co-worker was looking at them and a few guys went down for a ride. I can best describe the ride like a ATV. You have to remember to turn the bars to turn the bike. No leaning on this one. It has a strange feeling of throwing you off the bike while cornering.

He ended up buying one.

Me, I rather have a bike.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
They are working on getting wheel tilt on future models...

I know a couple of people that have them and they have enjoyed the ease and comfort of them. Pretty pricy for me. For that money I would buy one or two other bikes!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure are a shit load of people riding them around here, considering they haven't been around that long.

Another option is the new paghco trike kits that can fit a harley sportster or soft tail. I'm thinking I can buy a sportster and a kit for under $6,000. Just another option.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably be ok for running around town or trips with lots of straight roads.

I just got back from a 1900 mile trip to South Dakota and a guy in our group was riding one and it wore him out when we got to the twisty roads. He could keep up pretty good but when I was behind him it just looked awkward going around curves and he was working pretty hard to keep up with the pace of the bikes, It just didn't really look like much fun to me.

I suppose one would be alright for someone who has trouble keeping their balance on a bike but personally I wouldn't own one and if my balance gets bad I would get a Gold Wing or HD trike before I would get a Spyder.

JMHO just take it for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
My boss bought one for his wife (he is a Wing rider).  She loves it and he hates the thing.  I rode it once and was not impressed.  As was said before... it is like an ATV.  It seemed weak on power but I'm a bit jaded in that I commute on a Bandit 1200!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll ride one as soon as they have a factory pintle-mount option.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My buddy's father bought one, I didn't take it out on the street but rode a lap around the parking lot.

I still don't get the point of it.  Why not just buy a small convertible like a Miata?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:19:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My buddy's father bought one, I didn't take it out on the street but rode a lap around the parking lot.

I still don't get the point of it.  Why not just buy a small convertible like a Miata?

Generally, it's for people who want to ride a bike, but can't balance a bike for some reason. Whether it's old age or sheer laziness. I will say one thing, if I ever got to the point I couldn't balance a bike, I would want the Spyder. The Spyder is a purpose built machine that has a lot lower center of gravity than any of the "conversions" on the market today.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

you can't roll them
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can't roll them

I'm quite sure that isn't true.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
That reminds me of the movie Biker Boyz when there was a paralyzed biker that rode one of those.

I think they're pretty darn cool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#13]
See debris in the road ahead, bike: swerve, car: straddle, stupid piece of shit: hit everything.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
See debris in the road ahead, bike: swerve, car: straddle, stupid piece of shit: hit everything.

LOL now that's some funny shit right there

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I know of the typical friend of a friend that has a Spyder & HD trike.  He has a bum leg & has a difficult time supporting a 2wheeler thus his need for a 3wheeler.
7mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top