Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 5:55:47 AM EDT
So it seems someone backed into the hood of my 330I. This is the second time its happened. last time it cost 2k for the hood and some grills and paint.  

Can this be repaired without replacing the hood??

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
If it came into my shop, I wouldn't repair it.  Once the "shell" of a hood, especially an aluminum hood is damaged, its a goner.  It can be a nightmare to try to make it fit properly when damaged around the hood latch striker. Not mention making the grille fit properly. Not to mention the "typical BMW owner's" expectations.(dont take that personally, but we're not working on an Accord here).

Anything can be repaired but that is an exercise in diminishing returns for all involved.

ETA: If you look across the center of the hood from the side, you will likley see the hood is bowed up. Another death kneel for that part.  Very common for alum hoods that get poked right on the button like that.

ETA2: $2k sounds quite reasonable for that.
Replace: Hood, Emblem, RT/LT grilles, Any underhood labels
Blend: RT/LT fenders
R&I: Insulator, fender liners, de-trim
Probably a $800-1k hood
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
A new hood would be your best option.  One of my grandmas friend has 330i BMW and something very similar happened to her car.  The shop replaced everything that was damaged with new parts.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#3]
If that damage was on a 50+ yo car you were trying to restore, sure. It's salvagable. But when the warehouses are full of them, why go through the hassle of not getting all the warps out of it.
My son was rearended in my '95 GT on Mothers Day. Quarter damage is not really that bad, just a good wrinkle that can be pulled out. Bodyshop insisted on a used quarter, so the estimate jumped from $2200 to $4500.  Allstate tried to total the car, but when I told him he needed to look closer at that car and take notice of the $7000 of aftermarket bolted on the car, he jumped on the repair OK.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with usp4u....if it's aluminum it's scrap, it will have a nice new life as beer cans
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top