Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 7:49:53 AM EDT
My uncle has a '64 Vette that's languished for years.  I remember playing it in, with my cousins, when we were kids.  Long story short, though I love it, there's no way I'll ever own that car.  

So..

NOT being a purist, NOT caring about numbers matching, original, etc...JUST loving the style of those cars...

Is there an avenue to get a C2 "feel", without buying a C2?  The $50k that I'm seeing...well...just isn't going to happen.  Certainly not all at once, anyway.  I've heard of C2 rebodies onto C4 platforms, C2 bodies that can be installed on aftermarket tube frame chassis, etc.  These would all interested me, but I can't seem to actually track down the details to do it.  This is more "I heard from a buddy" stuff.  

I'm not wanting a rocket ship, or slalom car, or anything uber high performance.  Just a good looking, cruise-around-in-the-summer with the wife car.  I would like the body to have the original lines, and the interior to evoke the original feel, if it's not exact.  I'd be perfectly content with a replica of some sort.

I may be pissing up a flagpole here, but I'd like to see what are some alternatives available for the "average joe".  

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
heres a start......... lots of ideas
The Classic 1 is in essence a turnkey conversion of a Corvette C5 Coupe or Cabriolet (produced from 1997 through 2004). The company begins with a C5 donor car and without touching the mechanicals, it disassembles the exterior of the Corvette and then grafts its own hand fabricated design that mimics the looks of the mid-sixties C2 Vette. According to CRD, the complete turnkey conversion costs $65,000

and here
getover it

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fVb8x0ErfOYJ:www.corbinrods.com/1963_corvette_split_window.html+1963+corvette+body&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
^^^. If $50K is out of the question for real Vette, I doubt a $65K kit car is the answer he is looking for.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The frame was virtually the same from '63 to '82 model Corvettes.  So a C2 body on a C3 frame is not a prob.

"C2" is a relatively new term for us Vette oldtimers.  The '63-67s were called "mid-years".

..and yes.  Prices on mid-years have gone through the roof.  Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]
i know but its a start..........of thinking
i'm car guy  and i like your cars ––––GT––––and such
oh i had my time in the limelight 60's till bout mid 70's
now its you young guys turn and I only can tell old stories......

old school
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Ecklers or Zipps or Mid America has the body panels for most of the Vette years.  Get yourself a mule chassis vette from the 70's and put the C2 panels on, then sell the C3 panels to recoup some of your costs.  I'd guess you'd be out $5k or so on the body panels on the high end plus the cost of the car to get that look and feel.  

You will however be spending a summer doing the work on the car.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top