Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2011 7:13:42 PM EDT
OK, so I was talking to one of my buddies I work with about wanting learn to work on bikes and eventually build a cafe racer style bike. I already have an SV650 I'm just looking for a side project. Anyway, he told me he has a 94 sportster just sitting in his garage that needs work, something about the engine knocking.

He told me I could have it for $400 which sounds like a hell of a deal. I know its probably not the best for a cafe build but what the hell
I know nothing about Harleys what parts are compatible?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
that's a no brainer.
pick it up! if you can't figure out how to fix it, you can still part it out.
find a couple more deals with the money you make and pretty soon you'll have the cafe you want.
the hustle of selling and trading parts is a great way of meeting people that can help you achieve
your dream!
good luck!
fjd
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:31:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be all over that... If done right, sportsters make sweet looking cafe racers.

I'm on this XL FORUMS a bunch.  There's a bunch of helpful people on there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Sportsters, as well as most Harleys, are very easy to work on.  At $400. I'd snatch it up in a minute and I haven't ridden or wrenched on one since '72.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Power to weight you can make a sportster into a time machine.  very quick.

Right tires and seat and you've got a cafe racer that will keep up –– or, at least, go as fast as I care to go.

Knocking???  I have no idea what that means.  If it means the crank is shot, then figure 2-3 K for a factory rebuild.  Or, DIY.

400 bucks.  Are you kidding?  Why are you still here?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Hell of a deal!!!

if it's an 883 you might as well rebuild it into a 1250
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hell of a deal!!!

if it's an 883 you might as well rebuild it into a 1250

I was told to stay away from the 1250 kits as they tend to have major oil consumption issues...
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Sportster bottom ends are usually pretty reliable. Ive seen them with over 125,000 miles on them and still going
I cant say for sure, but would Guess that the noise is more likely in the primary drive, compensator or clutch basket. Those things were known for clutch shell issues and compensator issues, which are both relatively simple fixes with minimal mech knowledge. And it sounds just like a lower rod knock....  Go get it
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#8]
For $400 you can easily make money parting it out on ebay, worst case scenario. If you don't want it IM me where it is in CA, I may be willing to drive to get it, heck, I may even give you a finders fee.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't even like Sportsters, but for 4 bills, I'd buy it and fix it up as it is, and ride it around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top