Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2010 11:59:41 AM EDT
.....Anybody own one?

We just got one about a month back.....plain-base model SE V6 program car. Nice buggy for a muscle car wanna-be...and would love to own an RT or SRT8.....but no xtra cash for such..

I see these cars dissappearing off dealer's lots....but almost never see a Challenger on the road...SE or otherwise

I see Mustangs, Camaros, and Chargers.....plus quite a few Corvettes......but the Challengers seem to be 'garage queens'

My wife and I are beginning to wonder why nobody else is ever seen driving a Challenger?
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I see 'em all over the place down here in Phoenix. I see a couple of the same ones on my drive in to work everyday. I see a few of the R/T's and SRT's on the freeway every now and then, too.

Of course, we have no rust, or really inclement weather to deal with, so maybe that's why people are driving them here?
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I see these cars dissappearing off dealer's lots....but almost never see a Challenger on the road...SE or otherwise

My wife and I are beginning to wonder why nobody else is ever seen driving a Challenger?

They are all in the shop having the transmission replaced.

You didn't think that they stayed running very long did you?  it is a dodge product after all.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You don't see too many here in Omaha either.
Lots of Mustangs and lots of Camaros.
I sat in one at the car show and they are a whole bunch more comfortable than the Fords or Chevies.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
they dont sell that well. i have seen a few here in ohio. personally i think it is because of the interior. i went to the car show in detroit when it was unveiled and i couldnt believe they didnt change anything inside. same ol'dodge. i do think they are gorgeous outside though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
they're all over the place here.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Its one of the three mopar products that absolutely yank my crank...

1) Wrangler
2) Challenger
3) SRT8 Cherokee

Already own the Wrangler, and I bought a Trailblazer SS to satisfy the SRT8 craving...

The Challenger in SRT trim is one sexy sunnofabitch
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#7]
It is a Titanic on wheels.....drove an R/T the other week and it had hardly any go. The steering sucked but I did feel like I could drive it thru a brick house and live!
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Power-wise..The SE ain't bad.....but it is not muscle-car class power. Not by the current standards anyhow.  I've owned Z28 Camaros with less juice than the modern base Challenger's V6 puts out. But I wouldn't want to drag race a new gen V8 Mustang or Camaro...and would probably be wise to avoid drag racing a lot of other modern auto's too!

But I didn't buy it to race...we just got it 'cause I didn't want to buy a Cobalt or HHR!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Good power with classic looks.  A WIN in my book.  I would drive it with pride.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good power with classic looks.  A WIN in my book.  I would drive it with pride.

i do

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I passed a bunch of them while I was going to the junk yard the other day. It is 60mi one way for me on the interstate. I was surprised because I don't see any of them around here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
they're all over the place here.

Same here, but apparently you have to be over 65 years old to own one, thats all I see driving them and they just putt putt around in them, what a waste.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I got one, but

It's in peices
I need to put it back together.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the way they look too. It's almost like the design is reflecting its age though. The 1970's cars were lean and mean. The current ones look very similar, but they look like they have aged 40 years and have gotten a little flabby from too much beer, chips, and complaining about politics from the couch.

40 years later

Anyone else see it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I see the design differences....and the fact that the new Challenger is 'thicker' looking than the old cars.

Don't look like a single part would interchange between old and new.....and I must say...I drove and rodded a 1973 Challenger from the early 80's until I sold it in 1992. It was a fairly well worn-out hulk when I sold it. I was tired of searching for power that was always just beyond my grasp(or finances)...  

I like the new ride(so far)...however, really nothing but a facsimili of the old Challenger. The engineers/auto stylists did a nice job recreating the style and looks of the 1970's car. The new car is a nicer ride than my old Challenger ever was!

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see the design differences....and the fact that the new Challenger is 'thicker' looking than the old cars.

Don't look like a single part would interchange between old and new.....and I must say...I drove and rodded a 1973 Challenger from the early 80's until I sold it in 1992. It was a fairly well worn-out hulk when I sold it. I was tired of searching for power that was always just beyond my grasp(or finances)...  

I like the new ride(so far)...however, really nothing but a facsimili of the old Challenger. The engineers/auto stylists did a nice job recreating the style and looks of the 1970's car. The new car is a nicer ride than my old Challenger ever was!

I like them both. I think Dodge was smart to make the new ones look like the originals. At least  they didn't drastically change the design and make it ugly. The 1980's Chargers are disgusting when compared to the early '70s cars IMO.  I also  think Ford was smart to make the '05 and newer Mustangs resemble the old ones too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Honestly...There hasn't been much out of Detroit....or at least Chevrolet/Ford/Chrysler that I've found all that appealing...with the exception of the 1980's Z28...I really liked that body style for some reason.

The new body style Camaro piqued my interest....and we kicked the 'buy a new Z28' idea around for awhile. My wife really hot for a 'bumble bee Camaro'...but we drove one of the new Camaros around....and my woman couldn't see out the back worth a crap!

The newer style Mustangs...I like too...but I got issues with the local Ford-house...and we had decided to buy as local as possible.

And anything else we looked at....looked like shit next to a stone white Dodge Challenger.

So essentially the Challenger won because I really wanted one...and could find enough logical reasons to convince to lady it was a smart move.

I didn't bother to inform my woman that Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat...or whatever they are now....might just be on the brink of going teats up......But no matter. We now own an SE Challenger....the V6 don't embarrass me too bad/performance is acceptable....fuel economy seems decent enough...and by golly...we bought a car made in Canada to try help old Walter Chrysler's American company stay afloat another year(plus I like the Dodge sales blurbs proclaiming that buying a Dodge is 'freedom').

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I bought a Trailblazer SS to satisfy the SRT8 craving...

how did that work out for you?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top