Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 8:28:59 AM EDT
Shopping for the wifey. I'm thinking 1 or 2 year old Lexus vs. new or 1 year old Toyota Avalon.

Don't suggest Acura, Volvo, BMW, etc.  For one reason or another (availability of servicing, don't like, etc.), these have been eliminated from consideration.

Need Help with Two questions:

1. In Lexus-speak, I understand the numbers represent engine size in liters, but what's the diff between the pre-fix:  IS, GS, ES, LS etc?

2. Lexus [insert appropriate model] 350 vs. Toyota Avalon. What's the diff?  Pick one and tell me why.

I'm lost. My brain hurts.  Please school me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd really like a GS350 AWD.

I drive a 2005 Avalon Touring.

Cost me $20k less than the Lexus and honestly, I don't see how I'd get $20k more enjoyment out of the Lexus. Not that I can't afford it, I just can't justify it.

The Avalon is plenty fast, gets decent mileage, rides and handles great. Great sound system. Really can't beat it for the money. I'll probably drive it another 10 years.

Oh, one more thing. Rear seat leg room in the Avalon is second to none.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Cost me $20k less than the Lexus and honestly, I don't see how I'd get $20k more enjoyment out of the Lexus. Not that I can't afford it, I just can't justify it.

The Avalon is plenty fast, gets decent mileage, rides and handles great. Great sound system. Really can't beat it for the money. I'll probably drive it another 10 years.

I thought the GS350 would be the way to go as well.  But there are some brutal reviews regarding QC, which is a little surprising to me.

Is winter driving your reason for AWD preference?  Because, that's not really a factor down here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Shopping for the wifey. I'm thinking 1 or 2 year old Lexus vs. new or 1 year old Toyota Avalon.

Don't suggest Acura, Volvo, BMW, etc.  For one reason or another (availability of servicing, don't like, etc.), these have been eliminated from consideration.

1. In Lexus-speak, I understand the numbers represent engine size in liters, but what's the diff between the pre-fix:  IS, GS, ES, LS etc?

2. Lexus [insert appropriate model] 350 vs. Toyota Avalon. What's the diff?  Pick one and tell me why.

I'm lost. My brain hurts.  Please school me.

The IS, GS, ES, LS are the different models.  

IS = Sportiest of the group.  Lexus's answer to the BMW 3 series.

LS= Most lux of the group.  Basically a Japanese S-class MB.

GS= In between the IS and LS, leaning more towards the LS these days.  

ES = Tarted up Toyota Camry.  

The appropriate model of Lexus to go up against the Avalon would probably be the GS, but they are very different cars.  GS is rear wheel drive, and is going to be quite a bit more than the Avalon.  Avalon is a front driver, and is pretty much a Toyota Buick.  You can use wikipedia to look at some of the differences in the models, and their history.  

If you are interested in the ES, then I would say save yourself some money and buy a Camry.  If you are looking at an Avalon, have you looked at any of the new Lincolns?  I was very impressed with them at the last auto show I went to, I thought they were better looking and had a higher fit and finish then any of the Toyotas or Lexus that they had at the show.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't suggest Acura, Volvo, BMW, etc. For one reason or another (availability of servicing, don't like, etc.), these have been eliminated from consideration.

1. In Lexus-speak, I understand the numbers represent engine size in liters, but what's the diff between the pre-fix: IS, GS, ES, LS etc?

2. Lexus [insert appropriate model] 350 vs. Toyota Avalon. What's the diff? Pick one and tell me why.

I'm lost. My brain hurts. Please school me.

The IS, GS, ES, LS are the different models.

IS = Sportiest of the group. Lexus's answer to the BMW 3 series.

LS= Most lux of the group. Basically a Japanese S-class MB.

GS= In between the IS and LS, leaning more towards the LS these days.

ES = Tarted up Toyota Camry.

The appropriate model of Lexus to go up against the Avalon would probably be the GS, but they are very different cars. GS is rear wheel drive, and is going to be quite a bit more than the Avalon. Avalon is a front driver, and is pretty much a Toyota Buick. You can use wikipedia to look at some of the differences in the models, and their history.

If you are interested in the ES, then I would say save yourself some money and buy a Camry. If you are looking at an Avalon, have you looked at any of the new Lincolns? I was very impressed with them at the last auto show I went to, I thought they were better looking and had a higher fit and finish then any of the Toyotas or Lexus that they had at the show.

Thanks Pearl.  That helped a lot.  I just needed to know the model difference in plain english.

As for the Lincolns, my business partner has an MKS.  He loves it.  It's a very nice car.  But it's a wife thing.  No logical reason, but Lincoln is not in the running.

I'm trying to satisfy someone who can't tell a Fiat from a Ferrari.

When I asked for input, we started out with, "It's got to be a light color".  We started out looking at LS430s and may very well end up in a Camry, if it makes no difference to her.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:51:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the GS350 would be the way to go as well. But there are some brutal reviews regarding QC, which is a little surprising to me.

Is winter driving your reason for AWD preference? Because, that's not really a factor down here.

Yea, we get some snow here.

Funny, mrs. Splat almost won't anything but a Licoln. Recently got an MKX. Wouldn't stand for an Edge. 10k for freakin' bells and whistles, wah.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top