Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 4:11:18 PM EDT
Well...........heres my tale of the day. Went up early with the intent of just hanging on the porch all day knowing it would be next to impossible to ride the hill. Got there just after the cager crash occured, got in a nice clean pass. settled in on the porch after a bite to eat. Met R1er and saw Dwayne and Patrick. MG , Jeff, Mark (and his better half) and Gap Trash joined us for an afternoon of "Festivities" and "Pirate watching". After the crew broke up, Justin and I were sitting on the porch when I saw something unusual to say the least. My bike was parked where it always is right next to the porch directly in front of the doors to the store. I saw someone putting on gloves right over my seat. thay looked a lot like mine ! I stood up and there was a young guy wearing my chest protector , jacket and gloves !!!! I went staright to the bike as he was getting on it. I asked him what the hell he thought he was doing and, he told me that "The owner had told him he could take it for a ride" Well my first instinct was to beat the S**T out of him but, he looked very young and age and wisdon got the better of me. I pulled his sorry ass off my bike took his ID from him and sat him down on the bench. The girls in the store called the Sherrif's dept for me and sveral of the guys standing close by heard what was going on and helped me keep the little thief there until Grahm Co SO arrived. Long story short, he admitted to the officer that he was stealing my bike and after about 2 hours he was on his way to jail cuffed and stuffed !!! I've always left my key in the bike and my gear on it as well up there, it's always been an honor thing amongst bikers there. But today that little ass stole some of the magic of the hill from me. I'll never leave my stuff unattended again. Anyway, Thanks to the guys that assisted me whoever you are, to Brad for helping me out as well and to the LE officers from Grahm and Swain counties for talikng that asshole to jail !!!

http://www.easttnriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35542&page=63
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
From the same guy

A dark silver almost grey maybe. I had too much on my mind and really didn't pay that much attention to the car.

ETA: I talked to the Sherrif's dept. Thay were apologetic about the situation but, as I was told, the Magistrate made the decision to let them go not the officers. Even though they "Confessed" to trying to steal the bike, since he didn't "move it" he hadn't stolen it !! Talk about a load of Bull**** !!! I can't help but believe that the Magistrate was just enjoying his Labor day weekend and didn't want to put forth the effort to find something to charge them with. You know, Like putting on all my gear. Hadn't he already stolen over 800.00 worth of gear regardless of whether he had actually "Stolen" my bike ? Info from an earlier post in this thread states that you can be charged in NC with the next lesser charge if you only "Attenpted" but didn't complete the crime. I guess we are living in another world from the one I grew up in. Back in the day the LE would have kicked his sorry ass then taken him to jail. Anyway, I'm done with it. I have my bike and the knowledge that total strangers and fellow riders came immediately to my aid when they saw what was happeneing. To me that means a lot and in this case, it's all I'm going to get in the way of satisfaction. To all of you that have expressed concern and rendered opinions, I thank you. ETR is a great place to hang and, the friends I have made on the hill in the last 2 yrs are very special to me. I will, as always consider everyone of you friends. Even those I have yet to meet. The "Hill" is a special place to all of us and, after much thought, I've decided that little bastard won't steal that from me !
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me be the first to say he's an idiot for leaving his keys and his shit on his bike.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Too bad he didn't keep his ID.  I'm in East TN and do the Dragon regularly.  I'll be more aware from now on.

P.S. Never leave your keys in the bike.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah.  That was the guys first mistake. Keys always go in my pocket.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm somewhat of a regular there, or used to be, and know many of the people you mention. I haven't left my tank bag on or key in the ignition since about 2005, and wouldn't recommend you do so either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Let me be the first to say he's an idiot for leaving his keys and his shit on his bike.

Yup, idiot.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll second that.  I don't leave the keys in my bike IN MY OWN FUCKING GARAGE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm somewhat of a (infamous) regular there, or used to be, and know many of the people you mention. I haven't left my tank bag on or key in the ignition since about 2005, and wouldn't recommend you do so either.

Yeah, when I get a tank bag going on my bike, I will NOT be leaving it unattended.   I'll probably have some relatively expensive shit in there (glasses, wallet, tools, etc) and won't want that shit stolen.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#9]
There is simply too many people from possibly anywhere, coming through the store at any given time. Its a possible goldmine to smart thief. All the bikes, high end sports cars, folks with a shit load of money and trust. I stay at the store motel alot for my overnight rides and you really do meet some trusting, open individuals. I don't have the ability to trust. I could be riding the biggest pos in the lot and I would still take the keys and lock the doors/rotor.

Deals Gap is my happy place.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
First mistake he made was leaving his keys on the starter and his gear on the bike; I don;t care how well you know everyone around you, you never open yourself like that for trouble.

Deals Gap is a grerat little corner of TN. I was there last year for Z Dayz (big Datsun/Nissan owners meet) and I drove the dragon twice and truly enjoyed the sights and sounds...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I am on ETR and used to be at the Gap alot back in the day and I never left keys in the cars sometimes in the bikes though depending on the day and amount of traffic. However my motard didn't have a key and I just leaned it against the tree and hoped lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a Gap regular also - go up four times a year for a week at a time.  CRT personnel are great & so are most people, but every so often shady folks show up.  There isn't much you can do to prevent theft but taking your keys inside certainly helps.

Crime has been rare throughout the years.  I guess we were about due.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I seldom take the key out of my bike (I'm afraid I'd loose it).  But then again, it's a BMW K1200LT.  I don't think the squids would want it.

They probably don't want my faded blue Aerostich Darien jacket or the yellow Arai either.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Awesome. Gotta love Killboy. I run the Dragon pretty regular and will have to be more careful.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, idiot.

I concur.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From the same guy

A dark silver almost grey maybe. I had too much on my mind and really didn't pay that much attention to the car.

ETA: I talked to the Sherrif's dept. Thay were apologetic about the situation but, as I was told, the Magistrate made the decision to let them go not the officers. Even though they "Confessed" to trying to steal the bike, since he didn't "move it" he hadn't stolen it !! Talk about a load of Bull**** !!! I can't help but believe that the Magistrate was just enjoying his Labor day weekend and didn't want to put forth the effort to find something to charge them with. You know, Like putting on all my gear. Hadn't he already stolen over 800.00 worth of gear regardless of whether he had actually "Stolen" my bike ? Info from an earlier post in this thread states that you can be charged in NC with the next lesser charge if you only "Attenpted" but didn't complete the crime. I guess we are living in another world from the one I grew up in. Back in the day the LE would have kicked his sorry ass then taken him to jail. Anyway, I'm done with it. I have my bike and the knowledge that total strangers and fellow riders came immediately to my aid when they saw what was happeneing. To me that means a lot and in this case, it's all I'm going to get in the way of satisfaction. To all of you that have expressed concern and rendered opinions, I thank you. ETR is a great place to hang and, the friends I have made on the hill in the last 2 yrs are very special to me. I will, as always consider everyone of you friends. Even those I have yet to meet. The "Hill" is a special place to all of us and, after much thought, I've decided that little bastard won't steal that from me !

That's what happens when you have a crime committed against you in a place like TN. The Magistrate either knows the kid, his parents his pastor etc. and is going to get off every time. It isn't a lot better anywhere else to be honest... They caught a guy on my bike that was stolen in 2008 in June, he ended up doing 45 days for it on a plea deal. The prosecutor used me to get that, I was PISSED. Second bike I have had stolen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:30:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Is that the fuckers. I will print this and take it with me when I go down in a few weeks. They better pray they don't cross the Dog.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#19]
That is the kid.  He has been identified and he has taken down his facebook and linkedin account. His phone number and email address have been posted elsewhere along with his employer info.  I feel sorry for the fuck wad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That is the kid.  He has been identified and he has taken down his facebook and linkedin account. His phone number and email address have been posted elsewhere along with his employer info.  I feel sorry for the fuck wad.

Shades of Charlie Wenzel.    

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Trust in God - and - tie your camel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top