Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 10:06:12 AM EDT
I am rebuilding my calipers on my maxim 700 and would like to know how to get out a stuck piston. i used a grease gun on the caliper and one piston came right out. The piston on the other side is still in the assembly. It moved but the other one popped out first and released all the pressure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
you used a grease gun, i don't quite follow. so the caliper is full of grease?

put the other piston back in, but only part way. use a big c-clamp to hold it in place. then either use compressed air to try and drive the stuck one out, or connect it to your brake line and run fluid through, bleed the brakes then pump. you should be able to get that stuck piston out.
make sure to put a catch can underneath. brake fluid is nasty stuff

it's not a great idea, but if you're REALLY careful and can grab on with a pair of channel locks you may be able to pull and remove. but make darn sure you don't damage the piston. i'm sure others will disagree this this suggestion. i've never had to but may be a worst case scenario.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it came out. I used a grease gun becouse I did not hace any compressed air. It worked after I blocked off the other cylinder and was able to build pressure till the other piston came out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top