Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2010 6:21:37 PM EDT
I need a delay to shut off.

Basically I have a relay attached to a switch that turns off and on a little too fast for my taste. It causes an electric fan to cycle based on a/c high side pressures.
The fan barely gets up to speed and the pressure is down enough it causes the fan to turn off.

I want to put in some sort of delay that lets the fan run for a min or two before it shuts down. I can rewire if I have to, but figured if there was a plug and play replacement relay all the better.
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
First, look in the grainger catalog

After that, perhaps an old Bosch glow plug relay - folks used to rig them up as an after-run timer for VW turbo diesels.

Also, it sounds like you need to replace/adjust the pressure switches.  A time delay relay sounds more like a band aid.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
For 12V?
DEI 528T Pulse timer relay will do what you want.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. Looks good. Too bad it isn't a direct plug in, but I will live.

No issue with the switch.
It is working as designed. The "problem" is the electric fan is just too powerful for what I am using it for. It takes several seconds to fully spin up, but that is a lot of air movment. And it is enough to bring the pressure down to the shut off point.

I don't know if it is bad for the fan or not, but I don't want to risk it. Plus it would only be a problem in stop and go driving, not moving. So a 90 second dely at a stop light should be plenty.
Worst case it cycles on a couple of times, vs the 5 to 10 times it normally would in that time frame.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Odd shapped, but it looks lit it will fit a standard plug too.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I think Dakota Digital sells a fan timer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top