Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2010 7:52:43 AM EDT
Been looking for a smalller 4wd/awd vehicle beater for a while. like the outback,butthe ones I see have a lot of miles and the head gasket thing worries me.  I saw the suzuki sidekicks for sale.they seem to be pretty cheap for what you get.

anyone have any experience with them? are parts hard to get? easy to work on??

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/ctd/1726332399.html
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
RUN!!!! run far far away and don't look back

anyone have any experience with them? are parts hard to get? easy to work on??

none of the above

Ive not ever ridden in or worked on one of these turds that didn't have some sort of massive powertrain FAIL going on. particularly on the electrical side of things.

Been looking for a smalller 4wd/awd vehicle beater for a while.

Why do people still ask this question in the 21'st century??

No matter where asked the answer is always the same. Buy a Cherokee, 92up, shouldn't have to pay over a grand
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Pass!
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
get an s-10 blazer
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
get an s-10 blazer

Pfffffffffft!!!  Like those are soooooo easy to work on
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
get an s-10 blazer

No, you'd be better with a 4 wheel drive Yugo.

vmax84

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
get an s-10 blazer

No, you'd be better with a 4 wheel drive Yugo.

vmax84

Link Posted: 5/14/2010 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 2 door one and I loved it. I put a calmini lift and some super swampers on it, removed the carpet and put spray-in bed liner in it.
Because of the narrow stance it could go down most 4 wheeler trails. It was fun going offroading with the top off and the ac blasting.

It broke a timing belt once but it had a noninterference motor so it wasn't a big deal. Took about an hour to change. I kick my self for getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine alot, it is fun in the mud and the almost 2 feet of snow we got last year.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad has a 98 Sidekick with over 200K on it.  He did have the transmission rebuilt around 180K.  Thing still runs along, hell it's more reliable than my old Wrangler was!  (He has had some issues with the stereo not working, and the AC went out a couple times)

He also had a 88 Samurai.  It went about 150K with no work at all!  He traded it in on the Sidekick.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I would love to find a cheap safari rack for mine, not alot of room in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top