Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2010 8:48:50 AM EDT
Just thought I would share my SRT8 project with some car enthusiasts.

PWR 426 Shortblock 9:1 CR
PWR Street/Strip Heads 365CFM
PWR 236T Forced induction Camshaft
Wilson Billet Sheet Metal Intake Manifold
Arrington 100mm Throttlebody with Direct Nitrous port
Ram Clutch with Aluminum Flywheel
Hellion Twin Turbos - 61mm ball bearing with upgraded 4 core intercooler
Hellion electric Boost Controller
Zex Nitrous, purge, window switch
Custom Fuel System - Twin Walbro 255lph
Roll Bar by Creech Motorspors
Afco Drag Suspension
2" Widened Rear Rims Nitto NT05R's
DSS 1000hp Axles
DSS Chrome Moly Driveshaft
SLP Line lock - SS brake lines
Tuning by Mr. Norms

Update 6/14/2010

Challenger is still at Creech Motorsports getting caged, the door bars had to be redone and will need to be repainted. (luckily this wont be on my dime) Been a bit of back and forth between lining up the tech inspectors and some technical issues. The floorboards in the Challenger have some unusual frame rail routing which made it difficult to get the downbars mounted correctly.

Also the Hellion Boost Controller didnt want to work right with the turbos I picked out. Ah, well at least everything should be done by August..

Got the rims all finished up and powder coated. Still need to finish the wet sanding. The fronts just got back too. A factory rim is on the left, the widened rim is on the right.

Inside of rim after machining weld.

So, as it sits now...

Well, a few changes were decided upon for the project. I ditched the Whipple and decided to go with just the Hellion Twin Turbos instead. The Whipple would be too much of a restriction and cost me about 200 horsepower at the same boost level as the twin turbos. Plus the Turbos progressively add boost as opposed to the Supercharger which is all boost or no boost.

I may have to mini-tub the rear since the tires rub a bit on the AFCO's end links - Just another setback.

The roll cage is at paint. (I am painting it the same metallic pearl as the exterior). The track official has already checked the wall thickness and just needs to come back a certify all the welds.

The twin Walbro 255 fuel system is installed as is the 5/8 fuel line and the new injectors are coming. 80# is a bit too small.

So, right now the goal is to be mid-9 second car.

Waiting for her new shoes.

A peak at the damper.

Whipple Blower is off now - Went on an SRT8 Jeep.

Header and cats gone, cutouts remain.

Here is the 315 nitto NT05R's

Here are few engine pics

Has bronze guides now in place of the steel guides

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
looks pretty sweet, I have alot of friends with whipples and I had a turbo stang.  Once you boost a V8, you will never go back to N/A.

Are you going to cut any weight off of the challenger or will it still be full weight?
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
this is going to be some crazy ride. That thing would be a blast on the Autobahn. I know a great stretch that is a pretty long straight all I can say is that would be so much fun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow! So much potential win in this; I bet once completed; that Challenger can eat anything on the road... I will tag this baby and wait for the final product.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
my attention weenie is at attention
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
looks pretty sweet, I have alot of friends with whipples and I had a turbo stang.  Once you boost a V8, you will never go back to N/A.

Are you going to cut any weight off of the challenger or will it still be full weight?

Not much weight reduction.

My scale weight before the project was 4082lbs w/ a full tank of gas.
Braille battery saved 49lbs over stock
Flywheel is 15lbs lighter
Exhaust is 44lbs lighter - Most of that was in the loss of the 2 rear resonators. The Magnaflow Competition exhaust is lighter than stock as well.
Assorted bits and pieces - 11bs
Drive Shaft is 7 lbs lighter
Total weight - 3956bs.

The problem is I added weight too.

Roll Cage - ?
Blower added 7 lbs over the stock intake and air cleaner set up. - The intercooler only weighs 4 lbs. I dont know how much the plumbing and fluids will add.
Nitrous bottle full weights 14lbs
Wider rims + heavier rubber - ?
Heavier Axles - ?

Ill get a new total weight after its all said and done, I am guessing she will be 4300lbs or so w/ all the extra's with most of the weight coming from the cage. Yeah she is a fat pig, but low 10 second timeslips will really make up for it! (Fingers crossed)
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]
That Beast has low 10 e.t. written all over it.

you have some real style -
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm impressed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Very impressive build.  Tag for more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice...

Can't wait to see it complete.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking ride. Personally, I'd take a used vette any day and still be faster with fewer mods.
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice looking ride. Personally, I'd take a used vette any day and still be faster with fewer mods.

Thanks for the compliments. I looked at a Z06 Corvette and really loved it. Unfortunately, I need a back seat so it was out. The GT500 had a 10K market adjustment so I passed on that one, and the SS Camaro felt really cramped to me. It might have been the sunroof taking up space.

I will say that my combo will put more horsepower and torque to the ground than a new supercharged ZR1 does at the crank!

One thing I know for sure, is there is always someone faster and someone with more money!
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#13]
cool,  very impressive,

just curious

whats it run originally compared to the potential low 10's you hope to reach?
if you dont mind me asking how much in mods do you have into your ride?
should that your set up be pretty reliable?

for the total money spent what are some other cars in that price range.

ive allway wanted to build somthing up for a track car but could really never decide if it would be better to build or buy at the end of the day
Link Posted: 4/25/2010 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
How fast do you want to go?

How much do you want to spend?

AWESOME ride
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#15]
that right there is what we call cubic dollars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/26/2010 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Very nice. Way past anything I would contemplate. My 2010 SRT8 is pretty much stock. Looking forward to seeing it complete.
Link Posted: 4/26/2010 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
cool,  very impressive,

just curious

whats it run originally compared to the potential low 10's you hope to reach?
if you dont mind me asking how much in mods do you have into your ride?
should that your set up be pretty reliable?

for the total money spent what are some other cars in that price range.

ive allway wanted to build somthing up for a track car but could really never decide if it would be better to build or buy at the end of the day

The Stock SRT8 runs 13.0 - 13.1 stock. I am shooting for very low 10's/high 9's. The quickest/fastest Challenger in the country with a timeslip to back it up ran a 10.18's with 10 pounds of boost and no nitrous. Phase II should put me in the solid 9's but I wont be NHRA legal unless I go to a 10point cage as opposed to the 6point. 135mph is the threshold as well.

Ill have about 25K in mods when its all said and done for phase I, give or take a bit, I haven't added up every thing yet since its not done.  That puts the total investment in the car at about $67,000.

For some cars in the price range.

Base Porsche 911 starts at  $77,800
Corvette Z06 starts at $74,285
A viper starts at $86,140 - I was going to order one of these, but 2 issues arose. No back seat - No dealer allocations at the time. (Viper was in trouble at the time)
Audi A8 starts at $74,550
GT-R starts at $80,790

Drivability and reliability should not be an issue. The car will not produce any boost until the vacuum drops sharply, so basically it putts around at approximately 550 RWHP. The 15 pounds of boost will add about 200 RWHP based on some dyno runs from similar setups, and the Nitrous will add about 100 RWHP. The motor is basically a long stroke 6.1 with a small overbore to keep the cylinder wall thickness up and is built for this with low compression, all ARP fasteners and forged everything. It even includes a 3yr/36K warranty. The drivetrain is bulletproof from the flexplate, clutch, driveshaft and axles. The nitrous is set up with an RPM activated window switch and only at WOT.

There are a lot of people that say "I could get a (insert car) for the dollars I saved compared to getting (insert car), and spend the money on (insert car) and run faster." Well, thats the approach I went with this go around.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

The rims came in today as well. Hope they fit!

Link Posted: 4/27/2010 3:51:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow, that's nice. A big and comfortable car too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Faptacular!

I just want a 426 for my Charger R/T one day

And fuck the people that say "You could have had this instead of this for XX amount of money."

Built not bought
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Was there a reason the base model wasn't bought if a new motor was going to be dropped in anyhow?
Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was there a reason the base model wasn't bought if a new motor was going to be dropped in anyhow?
Just curious.

Suspension components, brake components, frame setup for the V8, interior upgrades, PCM, ABS, TCS, BCM computer systems, transmission and other drivetrain parts.

There are very notable differences in modern cars between base and the high end performance models.

It's not the same as it used to be of just swapping the motor and putting air shocks in the back
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious.

Suspension components, brake components, frame setup for the V8, interior upgrades, PCM, ABS, TCS, BCM computer systems, transmission and other drivetrain parts.

There are very notable differences in modern cars between base and the high end performance models.

It's not the same as it used to be of just swapping the motor and putting air shocks in the back

I'm sure there are some differences, but I highly doubt upwards to $17k of difference (the difference in base prices).
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html
Not that I think the SRT8 is a bad choice at all, I just don't think the options are THAT different. Especially not 10-15k+ different...but this doesn't appear to be a "budget" oriented build, so it is really irrelevant. I was just curious.
Link Posted: 4/27/2010 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just curious.

I'm sure there are some differences, but I highly doubt upwards to $17k of difference (the difference in base prices).
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html
Not that I think the SRT8 is a bad choice at all, I just don't think the options are THAT different. Especially not 10-15k+ different...but this doesn't appear to be a "budget" oriented build, so it is really irrelevant. I was just curious.

You may or may not be able to source wiring harnesses and computers from dealer stock. And they wouldn't be cheap.

A performance NAG1 or 6 speed tremec is about 4K, Brembos front and rear are about 6K

So we're at 10K already without even touching any computer or harness issues
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#25]
sharp lookin car. interested to find out what it runs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#26]
those that can do those that can't will hate on you
nice build
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Is it brand new? The under carraige looks spotless. How many miles did you put on it before building?
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Thats what I call MOPAR Preformance.

Sir, I salue you!
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Very, very cool.

Maybe I'll see it out and about sometime!  (though Virginia is a big state)

Link Posted: 5/1/2010 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is it brand new? The under carraige looks spotless. How many miles did you put on it before building?

Its pretty much brand new I took delivery of the car on 9/9/09 (I special ordered it). The car has not had its first oil change yet. I figured why go through all that trouble to pull the belly pan and change the oil, Ill just put a new motor in it!I

I received the stroker motor in October and its been in build since December. The cam took a few different profiles to get it right and took 2 months before the final grind was approved. The final grind cam out to .685 lift with split duration on the intake and exhaust. My cam guy would kill me if I gave out all the specs on it.

Its has also taken a bit of time to get all the parts as this car is being used to prototype quite a few parts. The drive shaft, axles, had not been installed on a 6 speed car yet and the driveline parts are significantly different than the parts on autos. This is the first car to receive 100mm throttle body ported for nitrous nozzles from Arrington and the drive by wire had to be modified to actuate the WOT sensor. Even the blower pulleys have to be custom machined to get the right combination of boost.

When both phases of the build are done, I hope to be the first LC street car in the 9's on DOT tires.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Using a seat of your pants guess..how much hp do you think you'll have at the rear tires?

Well I would hate to guess, but a similar combo with an automatic transmission w/ 15 pounds of boost with a 426 and a Whipple made 760.5hp at the tires without nitrous. I hope to hit mid 800's with a 100 shot and 20psi, and over 1000hp at the wheels when I add the twin turbos and water meth later. The dyno will tell the truth when that time comes and I will post a sheet. I only run on mustang dynos and they tend to read a few percent lower but at this level it wont make too much difference.
Link Posted: 5/2/2010 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Using a seat of your pants guess..how much hp do you think you'll have at the rear tires?

Well I would hate to guess, but a similar combo with an automatic transmission w/ 15 pounds of boost with a 426 and a Whipple made 760.5hp at the tires without nitrous. I hope to hit mid 800's with a 100 shot and 20psi, and over 1000hp at the wheels when I add the twin turbos and water meth later. The dyno will tell the truth when that time comes and I will post a sheet. I only run on mustang dynos and they tend to read a few percent lower but at this level it wont make too much difference.

Link Posted: 5/13/2010 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Update on pg. 1
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#36]
What caused the change to TT?
It's going to be sick either way, just curious...
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Nice I'm a Mustang fan but I like what I see here.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Wouldn't starting with the R/T saved a lot of money over the SRT8?  Since you were going to do all this motor and chassis work, you've kind of negated the benefit of the SRT8 package over the regular R/T, right?
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Wouldn't starting with the R/T saved a lot of money over the SRT8?  Since you were going to do all this motor and chassis work, you've kind of negated the benefit of the SRT8 package over the regular R/T, right?

Very good question. I would have saved 4000-5000 if I started with an R/T. I ordered the car with every option except the sunroof and a R/T equipped nearly the same would have cost about $39000 or so. Here is why I didnt.

I wanted the Brembo brakes and it costs about 6000 to upgrade an R/T
I needed the 6.1 hemi block for my build. The 5.7 block is too small to get past 397 or so. Also the 5.7 used VVT cam which is a problem since i have a very aggressive blower cam that is not available with the 5.7.
Next, I needed the SRT8 manifolds to mount the twin turbos to. If I got an R/T I would have had to source SRT manifolds since the Hellion kit wont bolt to a 5.7. (The twins were always in the plan)
The R/T comes with heavier plastic clad wheels instead of the Forged Alcoa's. I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Makes sense now that you describe the differences.  Thanks for the explanation.

Looks like it's going to be sweet!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Awesome update, I like the tt setup.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good question. I would have saved 4000-5000 if I started with an R/T. I ordered the car with every option except the sunroof and a R/T equipped nearly the same would have cost about $39000 or so. Here is why I didnt.

I needed the 6.1 hemi block for my build. The 5.7 block is too small to get past 397 or so. Also the 5.7 used VVT cam which is a problem since i have a very aggressive blower cam that is not available with the 5.7.
Next, I needed the SRT8 manifolds to mount the twin turbos to. If I got an R/T I would have had to source SRT manifolds since the Hellion kit wont bolt to a 5.7. (The twins were always in the plan)
The R/T comes with heavier plastic clad wheels instead of the Forged Alcoa's. I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible.

I'm confused, I thought you bought an entire new block (in the pictures)? Why did you need the Hemi? What do you mean the cam isn't available for the 5.7L –– was your guy only willing to do one for the 6.1L (thinking it would be more popular)?

I bet you'll wind up getting this question a lot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Thats just bad ass period.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm confused, I thought you bought an entire new block (in the pictures)? Why did you need the Hemi? What do you mean the cam isn't available for the 5.7L –– was your guy only willing to do one for the 6.1L (thinking it would be more popular)?

I bet you'll wind up getting this question a lot.

When I first started this project last year, no one had cracked the variable valve timing set up that the 5.7 cam uses. The 6.1 uses an old school cam that doesnt advance the valve openings at higher rpms. That is not an issue now as cams are available for the 5.7. The 5.7 upper ring land is also higher on the piston than on the 6.1 and with the amount of boost I am going to run, there would have been a potential strength issue.

As for the engine, I did get a new block and heads. If I had a 5.7 I would have had $3500 in core charges since the block, and heads are different between the two engine types. I could have recouped that by selling the 5.7 stuff, but I dont have time to show it and ship it. Plus, with the Can/bus and VVT cam, it would have probably only worked in the Challenger.  The Ram, 300 and Charger do not use the same 5.7 as the Challenger for the most part. I would have also had to buy an SRT intake manifold and SRT headers as well.

Link Posted: 5/14/2010 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#46]
The awesome quotient was upped significantly with the addition of twin turbos.
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Seems those cars I've seen at local tracks are trying to push into the 12's (stockish).  

So your plan is to just skip those, and the 11's too.

Just get to it

I like your style

And yeah, there is a turbo thread on here.  Make sure you put pics here and/or there when they're on!
Link Posted: 5/14/2010 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
that monster is gonna eat fords and Crap chevy's all day long

There are alot of tough twin turbo Cobras and nitrous chevys out there.... I think he should do fine though.  He might be a little on the heavy side though
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 12:50:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When I first started this project last year, no one had cracked the variable valve timing set up that the 5.7 cam uses. The 6.1 uses an old school cam that doesnt advance the valve openings at higher rpms. That is not an issue now as cams are available for the 5.7. The 5.7 upper ring land is also higher on the piston than on the 6.1 and with the amount of boost I am going to run, there would have been a potential strength issue.

As for the engine, I did get a new block and heads. If I had a 5.7 I would have had $3500 in core charges since the block, and heads are different between the two engine types. I could have recouped that by selling the 5.7 stuff, but I dont have time to show it and ship it. Plus, with the Can/bus and VVT cam, it would have probably only worked in the Challenger.  The Ram, 300 and Charger do not use the same 5.7 as the Challenger for the most part. I would have also had to buy an SRT intake manifold and SRT headers as well.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

How long do you think it'll be before you get it on the dyno and 1/4 mile?
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top