User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2010 2:19:13 PM EDT
aftermarket cd player, the fuse isnt blown (interior fuse), and the
power reads at .03 volts when on.

Polk component system

clarion amp (reading 12+v)

Kenwood head unit.

anyone else have this issue?

edit to add, it wont switch the amp on either.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked all your connections and grounds?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I would guess a poor connection.  Maybe a bad crimp somewhere along the way?  Also, I've seen fuse holders that were less than stellar, the inline type.  Like the other poster said, look for poor connections in the ground side and the positive leg.

Pav
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would guess a poor connection.  Maybe a bad crimp somewhere along the way?  Also, I've seen fuse holders that were less than stellar, the inline type.  Like the other poster said, look for poor connections in the ground side and the positive leg.

Pav

im getting 12v at the stereo fuse.  hmm, its a stereo that was in the car when iit was bought and its making me go
trying to figure out this gremlin

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pav

im getting 12v at the stereo fuse.  hmm, its a stereo that was in the car when iit was bought and its making me go
trying to figure out this gremlin

Both sides of the fuse?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
yep
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like a loose accessory wire.  It is usually orange or blue.  It tells the radio and your amplifier that the ignition is on.

Could also be a bad fuse.  My Cherokee had two fuses for the radio system.  One in the dash fuse panel and one on the stereo itself.  Make sure you check for that.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
did you check it to ground? a nice shiny screw or bolt on the dash works well.
like others have said a bad crimp or joint along the way. you can always take a wire, fuse it and run it straight to the battery to check out the head unit
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

did you check it to ground? a nice shiny screw or bolt on the dash works well.

like others have said a bad crimp or joint along the way. you can always take a wire, fuse it and run it straight to the battery to check out the head unit

yep, grounded it to a few different things, reading ended up the same

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It sounds like a loose accessory wire.  It is usually orange or blue.  It tells the radio and your amplifier that the ignition is on.

Could also be a bad fuse.  My Cherokee had two fuses for the radio system.  One in the dash fuse panel and one on the stereo itself.  Make sure you check for that.

fuses are ok, i checked those first.  is there any sort of readable voltage through the switch wire?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

fuses are ok, i checked those first.  is there any sort of readable voltage through the switch wire?

It is really low, like 1.5 volts.  Check all of your wire crimps and your ground.  It really sounds like one of the wire crimps the installers used has come loose.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can add/remove new parts of the system one at a time and try to eliminate each one as a cause.  Does everything work with only the OEM stuff installed?  If so, then something you are adding is the cause.  Oh, are you getting the source of voltage from a location controlled by the ignition switch?  Switch not on...no voltage.  I'm just guessing...good luck.

Pav
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If you can add/remove new parts of the system one at a time and try to eliminate each one as a cause.  Does everything work with only the OEM stuff installed?  If so, then something you are adding is the cause.  Oh, are you getting the source of voltage from a location controlled by the ignition switch?  Switch not on...no voltage.  I'm just guessing...good luck.
Pav
it is hooked to a 12v switched source.

tested the radio switch wire, no voltage with car on.  the car had the aftermarket stuff in it when bought.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top