Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2010 7:13:56 AM EDT
Went to look at a 98 eclipse GSX yesterday. And it had 3 yokohamas on it, aside from the front right tire, which had more tread on it and was a different brand.
I heard that is not a good thing to do.

I have pics of all 4 wheels if needed. It has 65k on it. For a car that has 65k on it, theres alot of wear on the shift knob/seats but then again, it is a 98.
The gas/coolant gauge is a little bit messed up also. It only reads as like half full apparently even if its full, owner says its the needles
Clutch in the car is beat to hell, makes noises also when you engage it. Owner has a new clutch/fly wheel that will be put on before sale.
17 year old kid currently drives the car.

Since I'm moving, I decided to put the Evo/STI off until summer, and since I sold my car to buy the evo,  I now need a car.

ETA: SInce I know all threads are useless without pics here on arfcom, heres a few. If anything screams run, tell me please.
The Red GST next to it has 35k on it (a 99) but its FWD so if i want the car, I might ask if they would swap wheels.

Yes, those rims are horrid looking. ANother reason I'd like to swap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
17 year old kid drives car. Clutch is bad. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. Used and abused 98 Mitsu no way. You will be buying a ton of problems.

Find a car that has not been modified and has maintenance records. Preferably driven by a responsible driver. If the car has been maintained do not be afraid of high mileage.

Have any car you are looking at inspected by your trusted mechanic/technition. Pay an hours labor and have them write an estimate to determine the value of the vehicle.

My 2 cents good luck.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

17 year old kid drives car. Clutch is bad. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. Used and abused 98 Mitsu no way. You will be buying a ton of problems.

Find a car that has not been modified and has maintenance records. Preferably driven by a responsible driver. If the car has been maintained do not be afraid of high mileage.

Have any car you are looking at inspected by your trusted mechanic/technition. Pay an hours labor and have them write an estimate to determine the value of the vehicle.

My 2 cents good luck.
This. You are buying someone else's rolling shitbox. Walk away from that thing

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I will 3rd the walk away.

The engine compartment alone would make me run.

Looks like they didn't take care of the car at all based on that pic alone.

Oil leaks, discolored exhaust sheild, top hose is a replacement, but looks more than 3 or 4 years old already.

The tire's look about gone as well.

Problem is looks like someone without enough money to hold on to the car has been driving it at least a couple years and skimping on maintenece.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldnt buy it. Just get a something that will get you buy till you can get your Evo.  

What they asking on the Eclipse anyway?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't say to run away, but I would expect it to be as much hobby as transportation. I would not give real money for the car either. The ugly wheels and little mods under the hood tell me that the car has had a very rough life.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for walking away.  Nothing good would come from ownership.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Tires are one of the easiest and best ways to judge how a car was maintained. A car with mismatched tires has had the absolute minimum work done on it to keep it running.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]
They want more then book value for the car. The GST they have is actually really nice. No mods, clutch grabs nice and it has 33k. But its FWD
As much as I want to get it, I'll probably look elsewhere as they want too much and it will probably be more a pain then anything.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They want more then book value for the car. The GST they have is actually really nice. No mods, clutch grabs nice and it has 33k. But its FWD

As much as I want to get it, I'll probably look elsewhere as they want too much and it will probably be more a pain then anything.

As others have said, if you are dead set on an EVO just hold out and buy something cheap for point A-B transport.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Run, don't walk, away from that car.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As others have said, if you are dead set on an EVO just hold out and buy something cheap for point A-B transport.

Exactly. If you are set on a EVO later just get a cheap car/truck to roll in. Having a project car as a daily driver is not conducive to reliable transport.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Grab an old honda that's been driven by a little old lady. There are plenty out there. Then buy that STi you know you want instead of the evo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Wheels/Rims look like ass too...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Depending what the price is, I'd probalby look for one that has been slightly less modified/beat.  If it is cheap enough, and you have the place/money/time to do some maintenance on it, it might be an okay buy though.  They are fairly easy to work on and parts are readily available.

That one obviously has aftermarket exhuast, aftermarket I/C pipes, aftermarket BOV, open filter element (probably K&N), a leaking oil filler cap (which is extremely common with turbo DSMs), and a leaking valve cover.  If the boost has been turned up at all, which I'm sure it has based on the visible mods, the clutch/flywheel needing replaced at 65K wouldn't concern me.

With this car having 65K on it, you are going to HAVE to replace the timing belt, water pump, oil pump, front cover, balance shaft belt (or remove it and the balance shafts) and all the tensionsers and pulleys - if you don't have 100% proof that it has been done.  If you don't do the work yourself, this is probably a $500 - $1000 repair, depending on brand of parts and labor cost where you live.  They are interference motors so you don't want to push the timing belt life - especially with one that probably has had oil leaking on it.

In answer to your original question, having different tires itself isn't a huge deal - having different diameter tires is a big no-no for the AWD mitsus.  So if one is brand new and the other three are pretty worn down, those other three are going to need replaced too.

Dan.

-edited to add-

Considering it sounds like you want to save money due to the purchase of a house, I would personally pass on this one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:59:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't do it. Just get the car you actually want. Life is too short to waste time with crap.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Run away!

Gotta love how the prior owner pained random tubes blue including the header shroud which is all but burnt off.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Yah, I'm passing. Only reason I was was because it has 65k on ! Rarely do I see Eclipses with 65k. Usually they all have 100-150k

Oh well.

I might just go car-less until I move then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top