Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2009 8:59:50 AM EDT
I invested into some stock and the forum members want everyone to call up their broker to place a loan exempt restriction on our accounts to stop said broker from lending our your shares to sell.

Now does this involve me? I have a basic account, and from what I have seen they only do it if you have an outstanding balance, but I just wanted to make sure before I did anything.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have the certificate sent to you or registered in your name the stock can not be lent out to be shorted. I believe this is what they are trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you have the certificate sent to you or registered in your name the stock can not be lent out to be shorted. I believe this is what they are trying to accomplish.

that is the basic theory, or by setting a high sell price the shares can't be lent out either.  this is one of those things you will read about on a forum that is complete bs.  you must always remember that  99% of the people on financial forums are completely full of shit.  if someone tells you they own 10,000 shares, divide it by ten.  if someone tells you they got in at a certain price, double it.  if everyone put restrictions on their shares, it might work - in theory.  but in reality, the numbers needed to actually make a difference will never be there - because most shareholders don't hang out on forums.  i take everything i read on a finance forum with a grain of salt.  the amount of bullshit  and misinformation is absolutely incredible.  they can be entertaining though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top