Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 2:06:01 AM EDT
I'm starting to read up on investing and take more control of my investments.  Currently, I'm reading "The Motley Fool Investment Guide" by David and Tom Gardner.  It is an entertaining book to read, but it looks to be flawed at best.  One of the main points of the book is that mutual funds are a bad idea to invest in because on average 80% of them don't return as much as the S&P 500 index.

That may have been true when the book was written, 1996.  But it does not appear to be true today.  When I look at the returns for the funds I have over the past 10 years, most of them, even those rated "3-stars" by Morningstar, have beat the 10 year S&P return.

Have mutual funds become better managed over this time?

What do you all tend to invest in - Mutual funds (better diversification, but you pay management fees) or individual stocks (less diversification, but lower fees)?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You can get on their website and learn a lot. At least you usta be able to.

Start investing in SPY (the S&P 500 index)

Invest 90% of your money in ETF  index funds and play with 10%. Do this and you will have money. I did the opposite and lost big.  Would have a WHOLE lot less if I listened to my advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top