Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2007 7:21:31 AM EDT
I'm going through the motions about starting a new retail business. I'm investigating my costs to determine if I can offer the products at a competitive price while still making a profit.

My question...
How do I found out the product wholesale/dealer cost from the manufacturer?

My difficulty in answering this question has to do with the fact that I haven't established the business yet.

Another question...
I'm currently a sole proprietor. I have an EIN and my DBA is my real name.
If I establish a new DBA, can I use my existing EIN for federal reporting and state sales tax purposes?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeebers! Bumped to oblivion.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I know when I looked at starting a motorcycle business back in the day, they wanted to see a store front, showroom, signage, etc before I could establish an account and subsequently recieve wholesale pricing lists.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know when I looked at starting a motorcycle business back in the day, they wanted to see a store front, showroom, signage, etc before I could establish an account and subsequently recieve wholesale pricing lists.

That's a huge part of the problem I'm running into, although some don't insist on a store front.

Makes is damn difficult to put a busines model together that ensures profitability.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a huge part of the problem I'm running into, although some don't insist on a store front.

Makes is damn difficult to put a busines model together that ensures profitability.

What I would do is find out from other people within the business you want to start what the average profit margin is.  That will atleast give you a general idea of what kind of profits to expect from a given sales volume.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I would do is find out from other people within the business you want to start what the average profit margin is.  That will atleast give you a general idea of what kind of profits to expect from a given sales volume.

Ah. Ask my potential competitors how to run my business better than they run theirs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah. Ask my potential competitors how to run my business better than they run theirs.

I mean eitehr ask people on this board, or ask employees of similar businesses.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah, do some more homework to project your margins, use RMA Annual Statement Studies to find industry averages.  This is public information.

Depending on your state, LLC usually provides all the advantages of an S-Corp plus more.
Again, do more homework.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yeah, do some more homework to project your margins, use RMA Annual Statement Studies to find industry averages.  This is public information.

Thanks. I think I found what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm currently a sole proprietor. I have an EIN and my DBA is my real name.
If I establish a new DBA, can I use my existing EIN for federal reporting and state sales tax purposes?

Yes.  You should, however, consider forming a separate entity such as an LLC, S-Corporation, or C-Corporation.  There are many factors which determine which is best for you - see an attorney.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
The US Government "Small Business Administration" is a good place to start for free information. One must realize that the SBA experts are all private company wash outs but they do have lots of statistics in planning a new business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top