Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 12:36:44 PM EDT
I was thinking about all the different tangibles you can buy that will retain value and appreciate. Do any of you think it would be smart to invest in guns, and if so, which ones will appreciate the most in the next several years. I know none of you have a crystal ball, but I was wondering what the consensus is on buying firarms for investment purposes. If not those, what are some other objects that will surely appreciate over time?
Investment NOOB here

Thanks in advance

Tac
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Consider investments in firearms in the same vein as other collectibles.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The only time I would invest in a gun is for a short time.  If I found one in the paper or a friend was selling to get some quick cash and I knew I could turn around the next day and sell it for profit, then I would surely do so.  If you are new to investing, I would start with a book written by a well known investor to learn, or even consult with an investing professional to "get your feet wet".  After that, I would start doing my own investing online.  I do mine through Fidelity.  IMO, I would start with a Roth IRA, it will give you flexibility to invest in alomost any market instrument and will help aid in your retirement income.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't think of them as investments, but as use assets, like a car, house, etc...  I have a C&R and can get K31's for under $100 bucks.  What will they be worth in 40 years when I retire?  Who knows..  But they're fun to shoot, show off to friends, and are (to me) a work of art.  If each of them is worth $500 then, I'll be happy.  

Expect your collection or guns to appreciate, but at a rate similar with a CD or money market account,  maybe 2-3% a year.  Instead of keeping your money in an account though, you can actually touch and use this investment, mind you take care of them.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]

You buy guns for fun-not as investments. Money invested properly would have double digit (8 to 12% on average) returns over the years and those investments would have yielded a staggering
return after compounding over the years.

On the other hand, even an exceptional gun, such as the HK-91 I bought for $400 in 1983, (and which could sell for $1,500 to $2,000 today) is a poor return compared to placing the money in a decent investment portfolio. And most guns don't do this well under most circumstances.

Guns are poor investments. If you want to rationalize gun purchases admit that its for fun and relaxation therapy.

On a final note , however,  you do have to remember that while investing is vital you
can't take your stocks and bonds out for a Sunday afternoon
plinking session. Your 401k makes for a horrible self defense piece.  So I'm not saying you
shouldn't buy guns. Just saying that they should be bought for recreation and more serious purposes instead of a way to secure your financial future.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have the cash, there is a category of firearms that are very limited in supply and the price is rising rapidly.   Title ii firearms ("machineguns") seem to be doubling about every 5 or so years, depending.   but the risk is considerable, knowing that the next prez could be a democrat that outlaws any further transfers (and profit)

initial entry price is at least 4000 at this point, up to as much as you want to spend for a mini gun or some such.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
guns arent investments.  firearms prices dont go up 11% per year on average, even the collectible ones.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
guns arent investments.  firearms prices dont go up 11% per year on average, even the collectible ones.

Not into NFA guns I see?

Actually, most quality firearms retain their value, they do not go up. If you want to buy guns as investments, you will need to buy speciality collectables like NFA firearms or guns with historic value. Both of these markets are at or near highs. So, I would suggest you look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Actually, most quality firearms retain their value, they do not go up.

True enough.

I suppose it could be argued that firearms could be used as a hedge against inflation, pay with it at current dollar and then down the line sell it for more devauled dollars.

They certainly make a good hedge against SHTF and TEOTWAKI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top