Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 7:32:23 AM EDT
The following is an investment advice article that I think is well-researched, analyzed, and drafted.  It is called the Ultimate Buy-and-Hold Strategy.  There are also other good articles.  Maybe one of you can make it hot.  

http://www.merrimancapital.com/education.html

I have no relationship, profit or other incentive or connection to the author or the firm.  I don't have my money with that firm because (1) I don't have enough and (2) paying a percentage of my portfolio's gross value to someone to "manage" is against my strategy.  But I like their theory and proposed portfolio (which is modern portfolio theory in practice) and their position to minimize expenses by using low-cost index funds.  I like having the tools and resources to study for myself and make my own decisions.  

My father-in-law came across the article and I was skeptical at first to some of the propositions.  But after studying the article I have come to be a believer.  I have spoken with several people about the article and they can't find any flaws in it.  I like the idea that I don't have to constantly keep up on the market but that I can check from time to time and rebalance after a year or so.  I also like the confidence of many years worth of data and spreading the risk.  

Before reading the article late last year I was in large cap value (DODGX), midcap value (HWMIX) and large cap international (FDIVX) through my work's 401k.  I have added the small cap value (the DFA fund), reduced my mid-cap fund, and put some money in a short-term investment grade bond fund to provide me with some comfort.  I will put more into international later after a correction (which I think will happen).  I am gradually moving toward the recommended portfolio.  Let me know what your thoughts are on the article.  Even if you don't use the proposed portfolio, I think we can all learn something from the data.  If you find a fault with it, please explain and provide reasoning and data if possible.  Maybe we'll learn something from your comment.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
As I've been advocating to those here it compares itself to 'vanguard' indexes. The allocations seem ok however vanguard now "charges" .5% entrance and exhit fees in some of its funds. Glad I started before that, now nearing retirement i'll only have to pay the .5% exhiting fees on any funds that charge it. Sometimes they wave the fees also altogether. Sector funds have had the greatest returns w/vanguard for me. Indexes are for those of us with less than seven figures IMO.Unless your a player   ....to them I say go play!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top