Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 5:47:33 AM EDT
Arch Coal (ACI), excellent company that will only get better. Temporarily suffering a few setbacks causing the price to drop but that only makes it more attractive.

Gander Mountain (GMTN), good business that is coming back quite well after an amazingly bad year in 2005. I see loads of money to made here. (BTW, thanks to whoever gave out the gmtn stock tip a few months back, I went with it and picked up about a 30% gain)

Garmin (GRMN) The GPS company, they took a bit of a hit when they bought out some other company I can't recall but they have a damn good product and are the king of the GPS makers.

Smith and Wesson (SWB), Ok, this is a maybe but it is so damn cheap now and I like the idea of owning firearm company manufacturers and it does have a lot of potential. (Yeah, I know, they sold us out to klinton but there are only two publicly traded firearm companies right now and ruger has lost me over 20% so I have to go with Smith $ Wesson.

Marsh McClellan (MMC) an premier financial consulting firm that took a huge hit last year when the its top executives came under investigation for price fixing by the NY AG. Stock dropped 50% but the company it still one of the best and is already heading right back up to where it was before. I would guess another 40% gain by years end wouldn't be unreasonable.

MSC Direct (MSM) industrial supply company. Does a heck of a lot of sales with the .gov and has been expanding its market quite a bit lately.

Anyone else have any favorites? Which ones are they and why do you like them so much? Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Until I out right own my homes, have a million in liquid funds, I prefer mutual funds. Particulary since the .gov's looking for 50% tax on stocks sold w/in 12months. Plus I sleep better. The only single play I ever had was (FITB)"First third fifth bank", a midwestern bank that was First bank, merged w/fifth bank, and third, and became known as FirstThirdFifth. I bought it cause my milloinaire mommy told me to.Its worked out well. My mutuals have held a constant 10-16% return, except for Janus,<-STAY AWAY!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you guys hear that Chipotle IPO'd?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Arch Coal (ACI), excellent company that will only get better. Temporarily suffering a few setbacks causing the price to drop but that only makes it more attractive.

Gander Mountain (GMTN), good business that is coming back quite well after an amazingly bad year in 2005. I see loads of money to made here. (BTW, thanks to whoever gave out the gmtn stock tip a few months back, I went with it and picked up about a 30% gain)

Garmin (GRMN) The GPS company, they took a bit of a hit when they bought out some other company I can't recall but they have a damn good product and are the king of the GPS makers.

Smith and Wesson (SWB), Ok, this is a maybe but it is so damn cheap now and I like the idea of owning firearm company manufacturers and it does have a lot of potential. (Yeah, I know, they sold us out to klinton but there are only two publicly traded firearm companies right now and ruger has lost me over 20% so I have to go with Smith $ Wesson.

Marsh McClellan (MMC) an premier financial consulting firm that took a huge hit last year when the its top executives came under investigation for price fixing by the NY AG. Stock dropped 50% but the company it still one of the best and is already heading right back up to where it was before. I would guess another 40% gain by years end wouldn't be unreasonable.

MSC Direct (MSM) industrial supply company. Does a heck of a lot of sales with the .gov and has been expanding its market quite a bit lately.

Anyone else have any favorites? Which ones are they and why do you like them so much? Inquiring minds want to know!

ACI 73.85 -4.95
GMTN 6.71 +0.03
GRMN 66.50 +0.86
SWB 4.50 0.00
MMC 31.52 +0.37
MSM 44.81 -1.76
*yikes*
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought these last March after a poster in GD said there was an impending Silicon Shortage.

Komatsu- KMTUY
MEMC - WFR

I also picked up

E-Trade- ET
AMD- AMD

They have done OK by me
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys... I gotta tell you, the stock market is nothing but a crap shoot right now.
And that's all it has been since the dot-bomb bust.

Speaking as a Bachelor of Science degree holder in Finance, I can tell you that hardly any formula, method, rhyme, or reason, is used to determine a stock value save one thing; market perception.

I mean, if you think about it, when it comes to tech stocks, Apple actually has a higher market cap than Dell, this is CRAZY!!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Guys... I gotta tell you, the stock market is nothing but a crap shoot right now.
And that's all it has been since the dot-bomb bust.

Speaking as a Bachelor of Science degree holder in Finance, I can tell you that hardly any formula, method, rhyme, or reason, is used to determine a stock value save one thing; market perception.

I mean, if you think about it, when it comes to tech stocks, Apple actually has a higher market cap than Dell, this is CRAZY!!!

Hmm, well what's your advice then?  I am not being hostile or anything to your post, I am geniunly interested in your prespective of what is the best way to invest.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hmm, well what's your advice then?  I am not being hostile or anything to your post, I am geniunly interested in your prespective of what is the best way to invest.

Honestly, real estate... the stock market is nothing but a crap shoot.
I feel safer having my money invested in duplexes and a small arsenal.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, real estate... the stock market is nothing but a crap shoot.
I feel safer having my money invested in duplexes and a small arsenal.

well, that's the top of the real estate market.
Seriously, you only make money when there is blood in the streets.  When everyone hates a investment, it's time to invest.  if it makes you throw up, it's probably good.
everyone loves Real estate, it's peaked.

GGG
CBI  (maybe, bit risky)
DCI
NOK
SGMS

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ACI 73.85 -4.95
GMTN 6.71 +0.03
GRMN 66.50 +0.86
SWB 4.50 0.00
MMC 31.52 +0.37
MSM 44.81 -1.76
*yikes*

Yeah, I know right now they are down but for perspective here are the prices I bought in at.
ACI 72.00
GRMN 56.46
GMTN 5.05
SWB  3.96
MMC  28.91
MSM  34.59

Today (15feb) they are all down but over the last few months they have all been good for me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Walgreens because I have stock options for 100 shares and I want yall to buy some shares so that my share price to go up more.

Walgreens = WAG

Back in the day I also owned some shares of Lockheed Martin (LMT) it did well for me but I sold last year.

I also owned AMD and it did well but I should have held on longer. I had shares at 15 and sold at 30, but now its at 40.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#11]
What I think we shoud do, is to have a $500 scottrade competition, for 1 quarter, and see who wins.
Any takers?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I did a hypothetical one for a 1 month time period but what the hell, I am up for another competition.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
How do we do it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
EXBD
PTF
MO
TM
...are the sexiest ones I own right now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#15]
All Current Morningstar 5-star Stocks:

3M Company
Abitibi-Consolidated
Activision
Alleghany
American Power Conversion
Anheuser-Busch Companies
Apollo Group A
Applebee's International
Avon Products
Bank of America
BankAtlantic Bancorp A
Beazer Homes USA
Berkshire Hathaway B
Blue Nile
BT Group PLC ADR
Cadbury Schweppes PLC ADR
CarMax
Cendant
Coca-Cola
Coca-Cola Enterprises
Countrywide Financial
Dell
Deutsche Telekom AG ADR
Diageo PLC ADR
Diebold
DirecTV
Dollar Tree Stores
Domtar
Educate
EMC
Estee Lauder A
Expedia
Fairfax Financial Holdings
Fifth Third Bancorp
First Horizon National
France Telecom SA ADR
Gannett
Hewitt Associates
Hovnanian Enterprises
IAC/InterActiveCorp
International Speedway A
Interstate Hotels & Resorts
J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
Johnson & Johnson
Journal Register
Koninklijke Ahold NV ADR
Lear
LIN TV
Liz Claiborne
M/I Homes
Maxim Integrated Products
McClatchy A
Microsoft
Mills
Mittal Steel Co NV
New Century Financial
New York Times A
Novartis AG ADR
Oracle
Petco Animal Supplies
PetSmart
Pier 1 Imports
Popular
Ryland Group
Schnitzer Steel Industries A
Solectron
Symantec
Sysco
Target
Tempur-Pedic International
Thomson ADR
Triad Guaranty
Tribune
Tuesday Morning
Tyco International
United Parcel Service B
Valeant Pharmaceuticals Intern
Wal-Mart Stores
Washington Post Co
Wesco Financial
Westwood One
White Mountains Insurance Grou
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The way I set up the competition was that everyone got a hypothetical $1000 dollars to spend on stocks. On the specified day everyone made their picks at the opening stock price for that day. After a 1 month (or whenever the end date might be) everyones portfolio was calculated and the winner was rewarded with the satisfaction of being a winner.
Later on it was suggested 9and I think it is a good idea), that trading would be allowed. Eaach trade would cost a fixed amount  (lets say $7 per) and had to be announced. The stock price at the time of the announcement was the price to be paid.
(I.E. I announce I am selling my stock in Widgets Inc. at 8am for $5 per share. at 1pm I decide to buy stock in ARs-R-Us at $10 per share. each trade cost $7 bucks, total $14. I can't decide at 3pm I bought the ARs-R-Us at the 1pm price. If that were to be allowed all anyone would have to do is look at the best gainer for the day and declare they bought it that morning. Of course this is all done on the honor system so if anyone wants to cheat nothing can be done. But then again this is a friendly competition and hopefully will be treated as such.)

So how does that sound folks? Y'all still up for it?
ETA;
It reads like all money must be in stocks. It doesn't. assets could also be held in cash. For example if you wanted to wait til your favorite stock drops then buy in thats fine. If you want to wait til week two til you buy, thats fine too, just declare you are holding cash til you are ready to buy.
Is this confusing enough?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Novastar Financial Inc.  (NYSE NFI)

www.novastarmortgage.com
www.nfi-info.net
www.thesanitycheck.com

You will not be disappointed. I own this in my brokerage, Roth IRA, and DSP plan.

Do you due diligence. Dividend will be at least $5.60 per share this year.
Current price is $30.65. Put this in a Roth IRA for your retirement... or buy guns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Tyco International

Huh?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I opened an account with Scottrade just over a year ago with my free TravelZoo shares (6 free shares - remember that deal a LONG time ago during the dot com era?).  Well, TZOO went public a while ago.  When it was trading at over a hundred, I decided to request the shares from TZOO and sign them over to Scottrade to open an account.  The minimum was $500, and my 6 free shares should make that.  When I sold them and got it all taken care of, I BARELY made the $500 cutoff to open the account.  I figured that I might as well have fin since this wasn't costing me a dime of my money since the TZOO shares were free.  I decided to sell TZOO and buy some different stock as it was tumbling.  In retrospect, it was a good idea, because it's around $18 now.  Anyway, I sold it all and bought 270 shares of JDSU at just under $2.  Well, it dropped a bit, but JDSU is now trading at $3.71 and has been going steadily up and up.  Almost 50% increase in about a year, and all of it is "free money" from my perspective since I didn't have to give any $$.  I remember back in the day when JDSU was ~$150.  I know it will never get back there, but it's fun getting to "play" the market.  It helps knowing that if I lose it all, I haven't really "lost".  As they say, never invest more than you can afford to lose.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#20]
getting into specific Fiber optics and few biotechs with lots of informations.

IF those specific fiber optics do not get over bought, you can have a good gain by end of the quarter when they report. It will be interesting end of 3rd week of Friday (which is tomorrow) for fibers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...  It helps knowing that if I lose it all, I haven't really "lost".  As they say, never invest more than you can afford to lose.  

You mean "never gamble more than you can afford to lose."

I'll argue that investing and gambling are not the same.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  It helps knowing that if I lose it all, I haven't really "lost".  As they say, never invest more than you can afford to lose.  

You mean "never gamble more than you can afford to lose."

I'll argue that investing and gambling are not the same.

Depends upon what you're "investing" in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Gander Mountain is at 9, I'm thinking about selling mine tomorrow.

As for other stocks, Amerada Hess.  But I wouldn't but it at todays prices. (I bought it in the 40's)
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:14:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I've always held 3M.  Diebold, too.

One other one not on the list is RPM International. It's a long term staple in my portfolio, (not something to day trade).

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw that gold list above and question their rating on WMT!

My favorites right now are ET, CSCO, XMSR, GE and MSFT. I've held all those through the bust (except XMSR) and I'm now finally showing gain. ET has been my big surprise, I'm up 65% since 2001 with them and it took balls to hold on h
MSFT is a dog, thank God I held through their last split.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I would not recommand specific stocks for people to buy or sell (TRADE for short term). This is what i usually buy and sell

JDSU
CIEN
LVLT
JNPR
LU/NT
SONS
GLW

ELN
DNA
CRIS
BIIB
OSIP
AMGN
HGSI
OXGN
DNDN
GERN

AMR

AMZN
EBAY
no GOOG (i have a reason)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top