Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 4:56:22 PM EDT
So the FDIC insures accounts up to $100,000.00 - right?

So, lets say Joe Blough wins 25 mil in the lotto and puts it in a savings account, bank gets robbed (electronically or physically) and the 25 mil is gone. Joe Blough is now out $24,900,000.00 right?

Lets say Joe Blough takes that same 25 mil and opens 250 savings accounts with 100k in each account, and has the interest from each account placed in account #251 - would ALL of his money be safe?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If Joe is dumb enough to put $25 million into savings accounts earning 1%, then he deserves to lose everything if the bank fails.  That much cash should go into to 90 day t-bills.

Also, the FDIC only covers bank failures, not theft.  If the bank got robbed somehow, the bank's insurance would cover all losses.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:25:35 AM EDT
[#2]
 I remember reading a blurb in the business section a while back that some banks have mutual agreements with other banks to somehow layoff large deposits with each other to get around the $100K limit . (Sort of like a bookie does with bets)

Sorry, I can't recall the term or the details.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If you title the accounts differnetly you can get 100k per account.  Husband, Wife, husband & Wife.  3 accounts, 3 100k limits.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember reading somewhere that if you sink like a million dollars into an account, you would have to purchase your own private insurance to cover any losses if there's a run on the bank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top