Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 6:15:17 PM EDT
Any small-cap or mid-cap fund favorites?  Fidelity, Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, American, etc.

I'm taking my investments in a slightly different direction for '06.  I'm not liquidating any of my current large-cap funds, but just going to direct new investment toward small, mid value and growth.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
T Rowe Price Mid Cap Growth
Been a tremendous winner for me, with little volitility.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto TRP Mid Cap Growth.  Had it since '95 and its done well for me...

I have a half dozen small and mid cap funds, about equal for growth  and value.  I've been through the tech stock rally in 98/99, the subsequent crash, and this latest 'recovery'.  I learned this:  What sucks today does well tomorrow, and what is hot today sucks tomorrow.  As far as stock funds go I'm pretty equal for growth vs value, and running about 40% large cap, 30% mid and 30% small..

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As far as stock funds go I'm pretty equal for growth vs value, and running about 40% large cap, 30% mid and 30% small..

That's about the mix that I want my portfolio to assume over the next couple of years.

Browsing fund company websites reveals that most have some very successful smal/mid-cap growth funds.  That seems to be the place to be in this market - unless I'm already too late.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If you listen to current conventional wisdom, small and to some extent mids are expected to lag behind large in the short term.  

In other words, large caps are expected to outperfom the rest of the equity styles for reasons not only for the fact that large has lagged for the last 4 years...

I have a long time horizon, but I am not putting any large, new money in small.  IMO, small caps are looking a bit expensive, they've had a great run...

Large is the place to be shorter term especially, according to the economists and analysts.

As for asset allocation purposes, I own the ETF,   symbol  IJK for mid-growth.

info:
Callan Table
Mid-cap growth iShares  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed, small caps are getting pretty rich, but you should always have some Mid Cap Value in the stable. It's an asset class that doesn't get enough attention, yet offers the greatest bang for the buck, with less volatility than small caps. Or stated another way, it has a very atractive "capture ratio," i.e. captures almost all the upside of small caps, yet only about 87% of the volatility (and that's a nice trade off).
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
What about ETF's? I just added JOF Japanese, BZF Brazil, I liquidated some of my Large Cap to do it. Foreighn is my biggest holding.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
IIF, FXI...

I would take profits on small cap instead of selling large.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I bought a few hundred shares of Fidelity Small Cap Growth Fund (FCPGX) tonight.

We'll see how this goes....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top